Venice Marco Polo Airport
|Venice Marco Polo Airport
Aeroporto di Venezia Marco Polo
Aeroporto di Venezia-Tessera
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||7 ft / 2 m|
Venice Marco Polo Airport (IATA: VCE, ICAO: LIPZ) is the international airport of Venice, Italy. It is located on the mainland 4.3 nautical miles (8.0 kilometres; 4.9 miles) north of the city in Tessera, a Frazione of the Comune of Venice nearest to Mestre. Due to the importance of Venice as a leisure destination it features flights to several European metropolitan areas as well as some seasonal long-haul routes. With 8,475,188 passengers having passed through the airport in 2014, it remains the fifth busiest airport in Italy. The airport is christened after Marco Polo and serves as a base for Volotea.
There is another airport located in the Venice area, Treviso Airport, which is sometimes labelled as Venice-Treviso and mostly serves low-cost airlines.
A modern terminal was opened in 2002, but it is already at full capacity. It handles all scheduled and charter flights, including some long-haul flights to North America, the Middle East, and Asia.
The airport is managed by SAVE S.p.A., a company partially owned by local authorities which also controls the smaller Treviso Airport, dedicated mainly to low-cost carriers. The airport was named after the Venetian traveller Marco Polo, whose book introduced Central Asia and China to Europeans.
The airport terminal has three floors: the ground floor for arrivals and the second floor for departures. The departure area has 70 check-in desks and has two lounges airside for customers. The two departure lounges are the "Tintoretto Lounge" for SkyTeam customers and the "Marco Polo Room" for customers of all other companies. The third floor of the terminal has offices for the operating company and airlines. The departure gates area is separated into Schengen and Non-Schengen flights. Flights in the Non-Schengen gate area require passengers to pass through Italian Passport Control.
Airlines and destinations
^1 All US Airways flights will be rebranded as American Airlines effective October 17, 2015.
The airport is connected to the nearby railway station of Venice Mestre and to the bus terminal of Piazzale Roma in Venice by scheduled bus services; to several destinations in Venice itself by the Alilaguna water shuttle (Blue, Red and Orange lines); and to Piazza San Marco by the express Gold Line or BookTaxiVenice water taxi. From the airport it is possible to reach:
- Venice Piazzale Roma by ATVO (provincial company) buses and by ACTV (city company) buses (route 5 aerobus);
- Venice, Lido and Murano by Alilaguna (private company) motorboats;
- Mestre, the mainland and Venice Mestre railways station (convenient for connections to Milan, Padova, Trieste, Verona and the rest of Italy) by ACTV buses (route 15 and 45) and ATVO buses;
- regional destinations (Treviso, Padua, beaches ...) by ATVO buses and by Busitalia Sita Nord buses (national company).
Accidents and incidents
- On 6 March 1967 a Short Brothers SC.7 Skyvan 2–102, operated by Soc. Aeralpi, crashed while attempting to land in bad weather, crashing into the lagoon. All 3 on board survived.
- On 14 September 1993, an Italian Air Force Piaggio PD.808 crashed while attempting to land in bad weather, killing all 3 on board.
- On 10 May 2014, US Airways Flight 715, headed to Philadelphia from Venice, made an emergency landing at Dublin Airport in Ireland after nine flight attendants complained of nausea, dizziness and running eyes. There were no reports of the pilots or passengers falling ill.
- EAD Basic
- Associazione Italiana Gestori Aeroportuali
- Dati di Traffico, Assaeroporti, Italy. (Italian)
- Venice Airport
- http://www.dus-spotter.de/index.php/Thread/13258-Diskussionen-zum-Winterflugplan-2015-2016/?postID=110908#post110908 dus-spotter.de, 13.07.2015
- As of December 15, Alitalia will inaugurate new daily service to Berlin and Dusseldorf
- "easyJet announces six new routes from Amsterdam and strengthens its links between The Netherlands and the UK". EasyJet. 14 October 2014.
- LY sale first announcing the routes
- "Royal Air Maroc Adds Venice Service from late-Oct 2015". Airlineroute.net. 10 August 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "City pairs Schedule". Information and Services. JSC "TRANSAERO" Airlines. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- "ASN Aircraft accident Shorts SC.7 Skyvan 2–102 I-TORE Venezia". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 10 March 2008.
- "ASN Aircraft accident Piaggio PD.808TP MM61953 Venezia". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 10 March 2008.
- "Philly-bound flight diverted after flight attendants fall ill". WPVI. 11 May 2014. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
Media related to Venice Marco Polo Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- Current weather for LIPZ at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for VCE at Aviation Safety Network