List of dragons in popular culture
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dragons in literature
Western literature tends either to affirm or pointedly subvert the traditional portrait of dragons from Western myth and folklore, as evil and greedy.
Dragons in film and television
Dragons have been portrayed in film and television in many different forms. Dragons may terrorize human towns, or save human lives, even taking the role of passionate protectors.
Dragons in radio
- Trorg, the Last Amber Dragon, and the blue sock-stealing dragons in Hordes of the Things
Dragons in online audiovisual media
- The Strong Bad Emails (flash cartoons) on the Homestar Runner website feature a dragon named Trogdor the Burninator.
Dragons in comics and puppetry
- Chibisuke and various other dragons in the Dragon Drive manga.
- Dragon Man, in Marvel Comics' Fantastic Four
- Dulcy, in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic and TV series
- Fin Fang Foom, in various Marvel Comics - in truth, a member of an entire race of alien dragons, the Kakaranatharans.
- Llewellyn from Ozy and Millie by D.C. Simpson
- Nid Hogg in Angel Sanctuary
- Rocky, Alfred and various other dragons in the webcomic XDragoon.
- Shenron (Shenlong) and Porunga, two dragons from the Dragon Ball series.
- The Great Red Dragon and his colleagues, in Jeff Smith's Bone
- The Dragon from the webcomic Sinfest by Tatsuya Ishida.
- Ronn Lucas' ventriloquism puppet Scorch the Teenaged Dragon.
- Lockheed, the pet dragon of Kitty Pryde, or Shadowcat, of the X-Men.
- The dragon/dog hybrid in the webcomic College Roomies from Hell!!!.
- The dragon in the strip "惡作劇龍" (Prank Dragon) of the webcomic The Perry Bible Fellowship.
- The unnamed dragon in the strip. How to Draw, Six Differences, True or False, etc. in Slylock Fox & Comics for Kids
- Wormy, the title character of the comic by David A. Trampier.
- The dragon known as Cordelia working with Angel in Angel: After the Fall
Dragons in songs
- Albi, from the Flight of the Conchords song "Albi the Racist Dragon"
- "Puff, the Magic Dragon", best known from the hit single by Peter, Paul and Mary, but has been performed by countless other artists. Puff the Magic Dragon was first a poem by Leonard Lipton and adapted by Peter Yarrow. The poem tells of an ageless dragon who befriends a young boy, only to be abandoned as the boy ages and forgets him. This is sometimes suspected of being riddled with references to the drug marijuana, though the authors have publicly ridiculed this notion. The dragon in the song is most likely a reference to children's imagination and innocence.
- Tharos, from the Emerald Sword Saga, a collection of five albums by the symphonic metal band Rhapsody.
- Trogdor the Burninator, from the Homestar Runner Internet cartoon
Dragons in games
- Wyverns appear as the main antagonists in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, a role-playing video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios.
- Spyro the Dragon, a video game series
- The online game Flight Rising, focuses on breeding and battling digital dragons.
- Charizard appears in the original and various Pokemon game series.
Dragons in toys
- Scorch, Slayer, Loong, Dragon, Legend, Magic in Beanie Baby
- Megatron in Beast Wars becomes a bio-mechanical dragon after absorbing the essence of his ancestor.
- Predaking and the Predacons in Transformers: Prime have robotic dragons as alternate forms.
Dragons in sport
- F.C. Porto, football team
- Mario the Magnificent, Drexel Dragons mascot
- Stuff the Magic Dragon, Orlando Magic mascot
- San Francisco Dragons, field lacrosse team
- St. George Illawarra Dragons, Rugby league team
Dragons in Theme Parks
- Prezzemolo in Gardaland.
- Figment in Journey into Imagination with Figment.
- Danny in Happy Hollow Park & Zoo.
- The Dragon in Legoland.
- List of dragons in mythology and folklore
- Dragons in Greek mythology
- Dragon Day, a celebration at Cornell University
- European dragon, Chinese dragon
- Lists of fictional species
- Pickled dragon, a hoax
Furman, Simon. TRANSFORMERS: The Ultimate Guide (c) 2004 Dorling Kindersley