List of unlawfully killed transgender people
|Part of a series on|
This is a list of notable instances of transgender people being murdered, mostly due to their transgender status / gender identity. Worldwide, one transgender person is murdered every three days. The list does not include deaths by suicide, accident, or other causes.
- 1988 — Venus Xtravaganza was strangled to death in New York City on 21 December. Her body was found four days later, shoved under a hotel bed.
- 1989 — Carla Leigh Salazar was found stabbed to death in her apartment in California.
- 1993 — Brandon Teena, a 21-year-old trans man, was raped and murdered in Falls City, Nebraska on December 31. Two men were convicted of first-degree murder in the incident, which became the subject of the Academy Award-winning film Boys Don't Cry.
- 1998 — Rita Hester, a transgender woman, was found on the floor of her apartment in Allston, Massachusetts on November 28. She had suffered multiple stab wounds and later died at the hospital.
- Loni Kai, a 28-year-old transgender woman, was killed during the night of August 25 south of Hillsboro, Oregon. Her murder is still unsolved.
- Gwen Araujo of Newark, California (died October 2002), an American teenage trans woman, was killed by four men, two of whom she had sexual actions with, who beat and strangled her after discovering she was transgender. Two of the defendants were convicted of second-degree murder, but not convicted on the requested hate crime enhancements. The other two defendants pleaded guilty or no contest to voluntary manslaughter. In at least one of the trials, a trans panic defense - an extension of the gay panic defense - was employed.
- Nizah Morris was an African-American transgender entertainer. On December 22, 2002 Morris suffered a severe head injury from which she did not recover. The Philadelphia Police Department's handling of Morris' death sparked protests in the LGBT community and led to several investigations into Officer Elizabeth Skala-DiDonato's "blatant and methodical" lying regarding Morris' last moments and the subsequent police coverup of her unsolved homicide.
- Nireah Johnson was an African American trans woman who was murdered in Indianapolis, Indiana by Paul Moore, who was initially sexually attracted to her and then discovered that she was transgender.
- Shelby Tracy Tom was a Canadian transgender woman working as a sex worker in North Vancouver, Canada who was murdered by Jatin Patel on 27 May 2003. According to Patel, while having sex with her he noticed her surgery scars and he panicked as a result and strangled her. The prosecutor attempted to classify her death as a hate crime, but Supreme Court of British Columbia Justice Patrick Dohm ruled that the crime was not motivated by hate because he not know of her transgender identity when meeting her and thus could have not targeted her for it. Patel's defense attorney used a gay panic defense as part of his defense of Patel, who pleaded guilty to a charge of manslaughter and was sentenced to nine years. Tom was a successful sex worker who spent her time helping the disadvantaged in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.
- Angie Zapata was a trans woman who was murdered on 17 July 2008, in Greeley, Colorado. Her death was the first case involving a transgender victim to be ruled a hate crime. Colorado is one of only eleven states that protect transgender victims under hate crime laws in the United States. Allen Andrade, who learned eighteen-year-old Angie was transgender after meeting her and spending several days with her, beat her to death with a fire extinguisher. In his arrest affidavit, Andrade calls Zapata "it", and during his trial a tape was played of a phone conversation in which he told his girl friend "gay things need to die". Andrade's attorneys used a gay panic defense, implying that Andrade suddenly "snapped" when he learned Zapata was not born biologically female. On 22 April 2009, Andrade was found guilty of first degree murder, hate crimes, and car/ID theft. He was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
- Sonia Burgess was a leading British immigration lawyer and transgender woman who also went by the name David Burgess at work. On October 25 she was pushed under a train in London by a transgender woman acquaintance, Nina Kanagasingham.
- Stacey Blahnik, a 31-year-old trans woman, was found murdered in her Breeze Point, South Philadelphia home by her boyfriend on October 14, 2010. Blahnik was remembered by friends as a "peacemaker and a caretaker" who "would give the shirt off of her back to anyone."
- Victoria Carmen White, a black trans woman, was murdered in September 2010. Alrashim Chambers was brought to trial for her death, but he was acquitted; he blamed another man, Marquise Foster, for the murder. The only motive suggested was transphobic violence; the words "You a dude?" were heard by White's friends (who were in an adjacent room) shortly before gunshots were fired.
- Marcal Camero Tye was a black 25-year-old woman from Forrest City, Arkansas. On March 8, an unknown individual shot her in the head and dragged her behind or under their car. The murder is to date unsolved.
- Dee Dee Pierson, a black transgender woman,was murdered on 24 December 2011. Kenyon Jones confessed to the murder, telling police that he had paid Pierson for sex and when he found out she was transgender, he became angry and killed her.
- Crain Cornaway, a 47-year-old black trans woman, was beaten to death in her home in Oceanside, CA.
- Deoni Jones, a 23-year-old black trans woman, was stabbed in the face and killed on 2 February in Washington, DC.
- Coko Williams, a 35-year-old trans woman of color, was found dead in Detroit 4 April. She had been shot and her throat had been cut.
- Tyrell Jackson, a 23-year-old black trans woman, was shot dead 4 April in Riviera Beach, Florida. A friend of hers was injured in the same attack.
- Paige Clay, a 23-year-old black trans woman, was found dead on 16 April in Chicago. She had been shot in the face.
- Brandy Martell, a 37-year-old black trans woman, was shot to death on 29 April in Oakland, California.
- Lorena Extravaganza, a Puerto Rican trans woman, was found unconscious and unresponsive on 12 May in her Bushwick apartment. Escalera's apartment was set on fire after two men she had brought into her home had strangled then suffocated her.
- Tracey Johnson, a 40-year-old trans woman, was shot to death in Baltimore on 5 July.
- Tiffany Gooden, a 19-year-old black trans woman, was found 14 August in Chicago. She had died from multiple stab wounds, and was found only a few blocks from where Paige Clay's body was discovered. Both murders are still unsolved.
- Deja Johnson, a 33-year-old black trans woman, was shot dead 26 August in Miami.
- Kendall Hampton, a 26-year-old black trans woman, was shot dead in Cincinnati on 29 August.
- Kyra "Cruz" Cordova, a 27-year-old biracial trans woman, was shot in the head on 3 September in Philadelphia.
- January Marie Lapuz was stabbed to death on 29 September in New Westminster, Canada.
- Rene "Rosita" Hidalgo Hernandez, a Hispanic transgender woman, was found dead on March 15 in Miami. Police arrested her assailant Miguel Pavon, who was assumed to be one of her clients, later that year.
- Evon Young was a black trans man who went missing on 2 January and was tortured and murdered by five men.
- Cernia 'Ce Ce' Dove (Acoff), a black 20-year-old trans woman, was stabbed to death in the Cleveland area on January 5 by Andrey Bridges, authorities later confirmed. Her body was found at bottom of a pond on 17 April with a rope tying her waist to a concrete block. She had been reported missing on 27 March.
- Kelly Young, a 29-year-old black trans woman, was shot inside her home in Baltimore on 3 April and died the next day.
- Ashley Sinclair, a 30-year-old black trans woman, was murdered on 4 April.
- Islan Nettles, a 21-year-old black trans woman, was beaten to death in Harlem, New York on 17 August after a group of at least seven men accosted her and two of her transgender friends. One of the men, James Dixon, had been flirting with her. After he realized she was transgender, he struck her. After falling down, Dixon proceeded to beat her. She died of head injuries in hospital. Her death prompted a number of protests. On April 21, 2016, Dixon was sentenced 12 years in prison after pleading guilty to manslaughter.
- Dominique Newburn, a 32-year-old black trans woman, was murdered by her former boyfriend on August 20.
- Eyricka Morgan, a black trans woman, was stabbed to death in September.
- Melony Smith was found dead in a motel room in Baldwin Park on 9 September. Stephen Gonzalez received a 26-year prison sentence for her death.
- Betty Skinner, a 52-year-old white disabled woman, was found dead in her assisted living complex in Cleveland on 5 December. Police believe she was beaten to death.
- Brittany-Nicole Kidd-Stergis, a black 22-year-old trans woman, was found dead in her parked car with a gunshot wound to her head on 6 December 2013. Some of the local media was criticized for referring to her as a man while reporting on her murder. She was the third transgender woman killed in 2013 in the Cleveland area.
- Dwayne Jones, murdered in Jamaica.
In North America:
- Yaz'min Shanked, a 31-year-old black trans woman, was found dead behind a garbage bin in Fort Myers, Florida on 19 June. Her body was badly burned post-mortem.
- Kandy Hall was found dead due to massive bodily trauma by an unknown object in a field near a school in Baltimore, Maryland on 3 June.
- Zoraida Reyes, a 28-year-old Mexican-American trans woman, was discovered 12 June behind a Dairy Queen Restaurant. Police arrested Randy Lee Parkerson for choking her to death.
- Tiffany Edwards , a 28-year-old black trans woman, was killed by Quamar Edwards, unrelated, on 26 June in Walnut Hills, Ohio.
- Mia Henderson, a black trans woman, was found dead in Baltimore, Maryland on 16 July. Her murder reportedly bore similarities to the recent, local murder of Kandy Hall.
- Alejandra Leos, a Latina trans woman, was shot in the back and died 5 September in Memphis, Tennessee.
- Aniya Parker, a black trans woman, was murdered 3 October in Los Angeles during what police considered a robbery gone wrong, though the attackers did not take her purse and advocates believe she was targeted due to being transgender.
- Ashley (Michelle) Sherman, a black trans woman, was found dead with a gunshot wound to the head in Indianapolis on 27 October.
- Gizzy Fowler, a black trans woman, was found shot dead outside her car in Nashville, Tennessee on 12 November.
- Deshawnda Sanchez, a 21-year-old black trans woman, was shot and killed on 3 December in Los Angeles.
- Rosa Rebut, an Indonesian trans woman, was found beaten to death in an Edmonton, Canada, hotel on 24 November. Police arrested Marcel Cristian Niculae and charged him with second-degree murder.
- Çağla Joker was fatally shot in Istanbul on 21 April while with another trans woman who also was shot but survived.
- Gypsie Gül was killed in her home in Istanbul on 10 October.
- Jennifer Laude was murdered in Olongapo, Philippines, on 11 October. Joseph Scott Pemberton was convicted of the murder. Pemberton killed her discovering she was a pre-operative transsexual.
- Mary Jo Añonuevo was strangled and stabbed 33 times in the bar she owned in Lucena City, Philippines, on 22 October.
- Keeta Bakhsh died following a police beating on 23 October in Bahawalpur, Pakistan, that occurred while police raided her house. Police originally claimed her injuries were due to jumping from a moving police van but have since suspended the raid's leader.
- Mahadevi was pushed off a moving train in Bangalore, India on 24 September. She was a 22-year-old disabled trans woman.
- Mayang Prasetyo, an Indonesian trans woman, was murdered in Brisbane, Australia by her husband.
In South America:
- Marcela Duque was stoned to death by a group of attackers on 9 September in Medellin, Columbia.
During 2015 in the United States over twenty transgender women were murdered, the largest number on record:
- Papi Edwards of Indianapolis Indiana, and Louisville, Kentucky, died of a single bullet wound to the chest at Fern Valley Motel on 9 January. Henry Richard Gleaves was arrested for Papi's murder and is being held on a $500,000 bond. The Advocate, among other media sources, originally reported that Papi Edwards identified as a black gay man answering to Lamar and/or Goddess, who likely participated in drag. It has since been confirmed by others close to Papi, and reported by various sources that Edwards identified as a female.
- Lamia Beard, a black transgender woman of Norfolk, Virginia, was found with life-threatening gunshot wounds on the morning of 17 January. She was taken to the Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, where she died.
- Ty Underwood, a black transgender woman of Tyler, Texas, was found in her car, dead from three gunshot wounds, on 26 January. Her roommate feels she may have been targeted because she was a transgender woman.
- Yazmin Vash Payne, a black transgender woman of Van Nuys, California, was found stabbed and burned to death in her apartment on 31 January. The following day her boyfriend confessed to the murder and surrendered to police.
- Taja DeJesus, a Latina trans woman, was stabbed to death in San Francisco, California, on 3 February 2015. She was 36 years old. The man believed to have stabbed her, James Hays 49, was found dead hanging a short distance away.
- Penny Proud, a black trans woman of New Orleans, Louisiana, was fatally shot multiple times on 10 February.
- Bri Golec, a white trans man of Akron, Ohio, was stabbed to death by his father, Kevin Golic, on 13 February 2015. Bri was a 22-year-old living with his father at the time. According to a bandmate, Brian dropped the trans identifier about a year ago. He now identified as an androgynous pansexual man. His father called 911 after the stabbing claiming it was "the cult" that had broken in and stabbed Brian. The cult he referred to is believed to be a local trans support group. Police determined that no one had broken in. Kevin Golic is being charged with murder and felony domestic violence.
- Kristina Gomez Reinwald, a Latina trans woman of Miami, Florida, was found dead in her apartment on 15 February. She was 46 years old. The case was initially considered a suicide, but news broke on 19 February that police are now treating it as homicide.
- Keyshia Blige, a 33-year-old black trans woman from Montgomery, Illinois, was killed 7 March 2015. Blige was shot while driving and crashed while attempting to drive herself to the hospital. "Police declined to comment on the motive for the shooting, but described it as "not random." Though she had performed for many years under the name, Blige just started transitioning in January 2015. "Stiff's mother said, though her [child] had begun taking the hormones in January, already she noticed a new glow to [her] skin." Blige's performances "gravitated toward old-school songs by powerhouse artists like Aretha Franklin and Whitney Houston, with some modern hits by Rihanna and Beyoncé." Blige was reported as male in the news.
- Vanessa Santillan, a 33-year-old Mexican trans woman from Miami, Florida, was fatally beaten on the head and neck in an apartment in Fulham, London, England on March 28, after responding to a neighbor's phone call.
- London Chanel, a 21-year-old black trans woman, died May 18 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, after being fatally stabbed in the back and neck by Raheam Felton, who was the boyfriend of one of her roommates.
- Mercedes Williamson, a 17-year-old white trans woman from Alabama was killed in George County, Mississippi, by Josh Vallum. Her body was found June 2 after Vallum told his father about the murder.
- India Clarke, a 25-year-old Black trans woman, was shot in Tampa, Florida, on July 21. Clarke was subsequently misgendered in reports by media and the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.
- Amber Monroe, a 20-year-old black trans woman, was shot in Detroit, Michigan, on August 8. This was her third time being shot, but her fear of the police kept her from reporting other times.
- Kandis Capri, a black 35-year-old trans woman, was shot in Phoenix, Arizona, on August 11.
- Elisha Walker, a black trans woman, was found dead in a shallow grave in Johnston County, North Carolina, on August 15. She had been reported missing a year before.
- Tamara Dominguez, a 36-year-old Latina trans woman of Kansas City, Missouri, was run over by an SUV truck multiple times on 16 August at 3am local time. Dominguez's brother, Alberto, offered forgiveness to the person who ran over Tamara during the argument which killed her: "We are not here to judge nobody, and he (Alberto) hopes that person really feels bad for what he did."
- Kiesha Jenkins, a 22-year-old black trans woman of North Philadelphia, was beaten and shot by five to six men after getting out of a car. Jenkins was a student at Temple University after graduating from Benjamin Franklin High School. "In her spare time, [Jenkins] enjoyed drawing and designing tattoos for friends" and eventually hoped to become a graphic designer, according to her family. Jenkins' family described as her "'comfortable' in her own skin, artistic and meticulous about fashion" who was a loving caregiver to her grandmother and other family members.
- Zella Ziona, a black 21-year-old trans woman of Maryland, was shot to death on the 15th of October in Montgomery County. Ziona was a graduate Seneca Valley High School who was a "talented artist" who also worked as a caregiver in an assisted-living facility.
- Yoshi Tsuchida (aged 38) of Fussa City area, Tokyo, Japan, was discovered wrapped in a blanket at his apartment on November 12, 2015. Police reported that Tsuchida's face had been sliced off with a sharp instrument. Tsuchida's body was discovered by his roommate, who also identified as his adopted son.
- Vikki Thompson (aged 21) of Keighly, West Yorkshire, UK, was being held at Armley, Leeds, where she was pronounced dead on Friday November 13, 2015.
In South America:
- Fernanda 'Coty' Olmos aged 59 of Santa Cruz, Argentina was found in her Alfonso home stabbed and shot to death on September 25, 2015. Area neighbors and media believe "the brutality of the murder suggests that this is a transphobic crime, a femicide against a transgender woman." Coty was fondly remembered for her "charitable work during the dramatic floods" that hit Sante Fe in 2003.
- Marcela Estefania Chocobar aged 26 of Tartagal was found murdered in Santa Cruz, Argentina. Chocobar was a transgender activist in Argentina who went missing for several days before her remains were found. Her body was so badly burned and dismembered that her identity had to be verified by DNA.
- Amancay Diana Sacayán aged 40 of Flores, Buenos Aires, Argentina 13 October. Sacayán was a prominent transgender activist who served on the board of the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association and was a leader of Argentina's Antidiscrimination Liberation Movement. She was found in her apartment with multiple stab wounds. Her death is being investigated as a hate crime.
In North America
- Monica Loera, a 43-year-old Latina trans woman of North Austin, Texas was murdered on January 22, 2016. A man demanded entry to her home claiming to have forgotten his jacket; when she opened the door, he shot her. He was subsequently arrested. For days, both the media and police report identified her as a man and referred to her using her birth name. Loera was a sex worker; the killer was likely her client; he had been seen earlier leaving her home "patting his pockets".
- Jasmine Sierra, a 52-year-old Latina trans woman of Bakersfield, California, was found dead in an apartment on January 22, with her body showing signs of trauma and foul play according to police. Local media had identified her as male and used her birth name.
- Kayden Clarke, a 24-year-old white transgender man with Asperger's Syndrome of Mesa, Arizona, was fatally shot on February 4 by police who had been responding to a call to prevent him from committing suicide. Some media reports identified him as a woman and used his former name. . Some autism and disability advocacy groups were also upset by the killing of Clarke, seeing his death as highlighting the discrimination against autistic transgender people and transgender people with other developmental disabilities or mental health issues and the poor training of many police responding to mental health crises, and issued a joint statement with some LGBT groups condemning the killing of Clarke. Clarke posted videos on YouTube describing his experiences and was well-known from a viral video that showed him being calmed down during an Asperger's meltdown by his dog.
- Veronica Banks Cano, a black trans woman, was found dead on February 19, fully clothed in a bathtub in San Antonio, Texas.
- Maya Young, a 25-year-old black trans woman of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was fatally stabbed on February 20, 2016.
- Demarkis Stansberry, a 30-year-old African-American transgender man of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, was fatally shot on February 27 by an acquaintance. Some media reports identified him as a woman and used his former name.
- Kedarie/Kandicee Johnson, 16-year-old black genderfluid child (who went by both names and used the pronoun they), was found dead by Burlington, Iowa police on March 2, having been shot several times and left in an alley.
- Kourtney Yochum, a 32-year-old trans woman of color was murdered on March 23 in Los Angeles. After a domestic dispute, she was out walking her dogs when a man came up to her and shot her in the head. The suspect was detained by a security guard and was subsequently arrested and charged.
- Shante Thompson, a 34-year-old black transgender woman, was beaten and fatally shot along with a male friend in Houston, Texas on April 11. Witnesses reported that the pair was swarmed by a group of up to eight people on the side of a Midtown roadway.
- Keyonna Blakeney, a 22-year-old black transgender woman from Upper Marlboro, Maryland who had attended Bowie State University, was found dead in a hotel room in Rockville, Maryland on April 16, with trauma to the upper body indicating she had been beaten and murdered. Police believed she was involved with prostitution. She had celebrated her birthday just days earlier.
- Reese Walker, a 32-year-old black transgender woman from Wichita, Kansas, was stabbed to death in the evening of May 1, in her Windridge apartment bedroom. A 16-year-old boy was arrested and booked into the Sedgwick County Jail on suspicion of second-degree murder. Reese was a pioneer for transgender visibility and school policy reformation in Wichita and was pursuing a path to social work to be an activist for other young trans people. Her family hosted a candlelight vigil on Wednesday, May 4, in front of her apartment as well as a Celebration of Life for her at a family’s house on Friday, May 6.
- Mercedes Successful, a 32-year-old black transgender woman of Haines City, Florida, was found dead in a parking lot on May 15, 2016, after being shot. Born in Jamaica, she was active member of the LGBT community in the United States.
- Amos Beede, a 38-year-old homeless transgender man was beaten in Burlington, Vermont on May 23. He died of his injuries (broken bones, internal bleeding in the brain) in the hospital on May 29.
- “Goddess” Diamond, a 20-year-old black trans woman, was found in a torched car in New Orleans, Louisiana on June 5. She died of a blunt force trauma before the car was burned.
- Deeniqua Dodds, a 22 year-old black trans woman, was shot in the neck near her home in Northeast Washington D.C. on July 4, 2016. The shot left her hospitalized on life support until she died on July 14.
- Nadine Stransen, a white transgender woman of Sydney, New South Wales was murdered on February 6, 2016. She was found murdered in her apartment soon after on February 6, 2016.
- William Lound, a 30 year old transgender man in the United Kingdom, suffered multiple stab wounds and died on February 8 at the University of Salford, where he studied Computer Science.
- Alisha, a 23 year old transgender activist, was shot seven times and died May 25 in the Lady Reading Hospital in Peshawar, Pakistan. Hospital staff spent over an hour determining whether to place Alisha in a male or female patient ward. Fellow transgender activists reported being taunted as they waited for Alisha outside the emergency room.
In The Phillipines
- Barbie Ann Reilly, a 23 year old transgender woman, was murdered by her partner, in Pasay City. Her body was found stuffed inside a suitcase along the Cavite Expressway in Bacoor Cavite on June 3, 2016.
- Nathallya Figueiredo, a 25 year-old transgender woman, was stabbed to death in a car in Capão da Canoa. A caretaker of a building nearby the scene had witnessed the scene and alerted police. Her body was found buried in Cachoeirinha in the metropolitan region of Porto Alegre.
- Bié, aka Bianca Abravanel, a 25 year-old transgender woman, was murdered on April 4, 2016 in the Vila Rica neighborhood of Ribeirão, Pernambuco. Four men approached Bianca and shot her at least 15 times in the face and chest. A 16 year-old male who was with Bianca had tried to hide from the killers but was hit by a shot in his left leg and injured.
- T.E. de M. Geremias, a 37 year-old trans woman, was fatally stabbed in the Sao Marcos neighborhood of Valinhos. 
- "Paula", a transgender woman identified only by this name, was found by police on the side of a road in the municipality of Goiandira on May 16. She was sent to the Santa Casa de Catalao emergency room but because of a lack of documents was later transferred to a hospital in Goiania where she died on May 20.
- Jessica Mendes Cavalcanti, 24 year-old trans woman, was surrounded by two young men and fatally stabbed to death in the Canaa neigbhorhood of Uberlandia on April 19. One of the suspects who was apprehended by police confessed to Cavalcanti being transgender as being a motive of the crime. 
- Luana Biersack, a 14 year-old transgender woman of Apucarana who disappeared on April 13, was found dead in a municipal lake in Novo Itacolomi on April 22. Prior to her disappearance, Luana had left a post on her Facebook profile stating that she was being threatened by someone.
- Leticia B. da Silva, a 22 year-old trans woman, was murdered in Bengui, Belem region on May 5. Two men on motorcylces had come by her as she was walking home and one of them fatally shot her. 
- Violence against transgender people in the United States
- CeCe McDonald
- Trans bashing
- Transgender Day of Remembrance
- Victim blaming
- Violence against LGBT people
- Balzer, Carsten (2009). "Every 3rd day the murder of a trans person is reported" (PDF) (3).
- Butler, J. (1999). "Gender is Burning: Questions of Appropriation and Subversion". In Thornham, S. Feminist Film Theory, a Reader. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Kellaway, Mitch. "After 25 Years, DNA Leads to Arrest in Trans Woman's Murder". The Advocate. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- Chris Summers, The victims of prejudice, BBC News, 26 December 2003
- De Jong, Lynda (19 February 1999). "Police seek information in Allston slaying". The Boston Globe. p. B5.
- Gilmer, Ellen (17 September 2009). "Oregon killing of transgendered woman unsolved 8 years later". The Oregonian. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- Woolington, Rebecca (25 August 2011). "Washington County cold cases: 10 years after county's only known hate-crime killing, detectives aren't giving up". The Oregonian. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- Danks, Holly (28 August 2006). "Washington County's only known hate killing unsolved 5 years later". The Oregonian.
- McElroy, Steven (19 June 2006). "What's On Tonight". The New York Times. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
9 P.M. (Lifetime) A GIRL LIKE ME: THE GWEN ARAUJO STORY
- Wollaston, Sam (27 May 2005). "Body politics". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
- Marshall, Carolyn (13 September 2005). "2 Guilty of Murder in Death of a Transgender Teenager". The New York Times. p. 20. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
- Zak Szymanski (15 September 2005). "Two murder convictions in Araujo case". Bay Area Reporter.
- Shelley, Christopher (2 August 2008). Transpeople: repudiation, trauma, healing. University of Toronto Press. p. 47. ISBN 978-0-8020-9539-8. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
- Sycamore, Mattilda Bernstein (2008-05-28). That's Revolting!: Queer Strategies for Resisting Assimilation. Counterpoint Press. pp. 306–8. ISBN 9781593761950. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- Lipp, Kenneth (30 October 2015). "Cops Covered Up Trans Woman’s Mysterious Death". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "Was Shelby Tom's Death a Hate Crime? - The Tyee". The Tyee. 19 October 2011. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Jeremy Hainsworth. "Trans killing not a hate crime". dailyxtra.com. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Spellman, Jim (23 April 2009). "Transgender murder, hate crime conviction a first". CNN (DENVER, Colorado).
- Whaley, Monte (31 July 2008). "Transgender victim referred to as "it"". The Denver Post (Greeley).
- "Trial hears 'gay things must die' tape". Logo (Greeley, Colorado: 365gay.com). 21 April 2009.
- "Transgender murder, hate crime conviction a first". CNN. 23 April 2009. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- Day, Elizabeth (9 January 2011). "The extraordinary life and death of David Burgess". The Guardian. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- Ward, Justin (October 14, 2010). "Transgender woman murdered in Philadelphia". San Diego Gay and Lesbian News.
- Johnson, Gerry Christopher (2 November 2010). "She lived as a woman, address her as a woman". Philly Weekly. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- Ring, Trudy (26 May 2012). "Newark Man Acquitted in Murder of Transgender Model". The Advocate. Archived from the original on 29 May 2012. Retrieved 4 April 2016 – via the Wayback Machine.
- "Police in Arkansas Search for Killer of Trans Woman | Advocate.com". www.advocate.com. 2015-11-17. Retrieved 2016-02-25.
- Jindasurat, Chai (20 November 2012), Transgender Day of Remembrance; Remembering Dee Dee Pearson, retrieved 29 October 2014
- Aegerter, Macradee (4 October 2012). "Man Sentenced in Transgender Murder Case". WDAF-TV (KANSAS CITY, Missouri).
- "Transgender Woman Stabbed At DC Bus Stop". wusa9.com. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Homicide Watch D.C. "Deoni Jones". Homicide Watch DC. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Anderson-Minshall, Diane. "13 Transgender Americans Murdered in 2012". The Advocate. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- Elmusa, Karmah. "Murder of transgender woman Brandy Martell raises concerns about hate crime". Oakland North. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- "Transgender Star Lorena Escalera's Murder Still Unsolved a Year After Death". DNAinfo New York. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- Smith, Charlie. "Transgender community and allies remember January Marie Lapuz". The Georgia Straight. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "An Official Response: A Call To End The Inhumane Portrayals of Murdered Trans Women. | We Happy Trans". wehappytrans.com. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Trans Rapper Murdered: The Official Story vs. The Friend’s Story". The TransAdvocate. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Reyes, Traciy (26 January 2015). "Cemia "Cece" Dove, Carl Acoff; Transgender Woman's Pond Murder on TV One Tonight". Inquisitr. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- "Transgender Day of Remembrance: Those We've Lost in 2013". The Advocate. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- Rodriguez-Jimenez, Jorge. "Florida Man Gets 30 Years in Prison for Murdering Trans Woman". The Advocate. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- Kellaway, Mitch. "Suspect Indicted in Beating Death of N.Y. Trans Woman Islan Nettles". The Advocate. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "James Dixon Pleads Guilty to Manslaughter of Transgender Woman Islan Nettles". NBC News.
- "Man sentenced for Islan Nettles murder". Washington Blade: Gay News, Politics, LGBT Rights.
- Quach, Hoa. "Man sentenced to 26 years for transgender woman’s killing". My News LA. Retrieved 29 February 2016.
- Shaffer, Cory. "Cleveland Police".
- Molly, Parker Marie. "Third Cleveland-Area Trans Woman Murdered in Past Year, Prompting Concern". The Advocate. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- McFadden, David (11 August 2013). "In Jamaica, transgender teen killed by mob". Associated Press. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- Kellaway, Mitch. "Transgender Day of Remembrance: Those We've Lost in 2014". The Advocate. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- Ryan, Kennedy; Cheng, Kimberly. "Transgender Woman Shot, Killed While Pounding on Door of South L.A. Home for Help". KTLA5. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Deshawnda Sanchez - The Homicide Report". homicide.latimes.com. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "'I think I killed a he/she': American soldier 'confessed he murdered Filipino transgender woman after checking into a hotel and then finding out his date wasn't born female'". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- Gomez, Jim; Cerojano, Teresa (2015-01-12). "US Marine found guilty of killing transgender Filipino". Associated Press. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- "U.S. Marine Joseph Pemberton charged with killing Filipino transgender". Associated Press. 2014-12-15. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- "Brisbane trans murder: Mayang Prasetyo killed and cooked by chef husband". Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Louisville Murder Highlights 2015's Already Alarming Anti-LGBT Violence". advocate.com. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Suzanne Yacka. "NCAVP mourns the death of Papi Edwards, a transgender woman of color killed in Louisville, Kentucky; the seventh homicide of a transgender or gender non-conforming person of color that NCAVP has responded to in 2015 - AVP: The Anti-Violence Project". avp.org. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Evidence Contradicts Police Account Of Possible Anti-Transgender Hate Crime". BuzzFeed. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Trans Woman of Color Lamia Beard Murdered in Norfolk". Pittsburgh Lesbian Correspondents.
- "Transgender woman killed in Texas". The Washington Blade.
- "Boyfriend sought in stabbing death of transgender woman in Van Nuys, Calif.". LGBTQ Nation.
- "LA man turns himself in for killing transgender girlfriend". NY Daily News. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Suspect in Transgender Killing Found Dead, Hanging From a Fence (UPDATE)". SF Weekly. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "New Orleans Sees Fifth Trans Woman of Color Murdered in U.S. in 2015". Advocate.com.
- "22 Year Old Ohio Trans Woman Stabbed to Death By Father". Pittsburgh Lesbian Correspondents.
- Mark Shrayber. "Father Stabs His Trans Child to Death, Tells Police It Was a Cult". Jezebel. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Death of Miami Transgender Woman Now a Homicide".
- "Miami: Seventh Trans Woman Murdered in U.S. in 2015". www.advocate.com. 2015-02-20. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Man killed in Aurora shooting lived a life marked by joy and pain".
- "Man Shot To Death In Aurora".
- "London Police Search for Suspect in Murder of Trans Woman Visiting From U.S.".
- Kellaway, Mitch. "Philadelphia Man Charged with Murder of Trans Woman London Chanel". The Advocate. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- Baker, Margaret. "Transgender teen is victim of George County murder". Sun Herald. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "Alabama Teen Becomes Ninth Trans Woman Murdered in U.S. in 2015". www.advocate.com. 2015-06-19. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- Wilkinson, Emma (23 July 2015). "India Clarke: 10th Trans Woman Killed This Year". NBC News. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- Sutter, John (7 July 2016). "#SayHerName: India Clarke". CNN. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- Wheeling, Kate (27 July 2015). "The Misgendering of India Clarke — Pacific Standard". Pacific Standard Magazine. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "Amber Monroe Becomes the 12th TWOC Murdered in the US This Year, We Must #SayHerName". Autostraddle. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Stafford, Zack. "Phoenix woman Kandis Capri killed as transgender murders continue". The Guardian.
- Tobin, Kim (2015-08-20). "Kandis Capri: Phoenix trandgender woman murdered; family asking for hate crime investigation". KNXV. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- Glenza, Jessica. "Missing transgender woman found dead in 'crude grave' in North Carolina". The Guardian. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- "Victim Number 17: Trans Woman of Color Murdered in Missouri". advocate.com. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Kiesha Jenkins Becomes 20th U.S. Trans Woman Murdered This Year". www.advocate.com. 2015-10-06. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "A group of men beat, shoot transgender woman, killing her, Phila. police say". Retrieved 2015-10-07.
- Whelan, Aubrey (7 October 2015). "Robbery eyed as motive in death of transgender woman". Philly.com. Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "Man Charged In Shooting Death Of Zella Ziona Amid Year Of Increased Anti-Trans Violence". Retrieved 2015-10-18.
- Morse, Dan (17 October 2015). "Local Arrest made in slaying of transgender woman in Montgomery County". The Washington Post. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- Yamamoto, Arata (13 November 2015). "Tokyo Transgender Man Found Dead With Face Skinned Off: Reports". The Washington Post. Retrieved 13 November 2015.
- "Transgender Woman Vikki Thompson Found Dead At Armley Jail". BBC News. 19 November 2015. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- Rodriguez, Cecilia (29 September 2015). "Brutal murder of trans woman, prosecutors and the media do not respect their identity" ((English Translation)). La Izquierda Diario. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "Por la desaparición de Marcela Chocobar investigan a un ex novio". El Patagónico (in Spanish). Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- Abeni, Cleis (15 October 2015). "Prominent Activist Becomes Third Trans Woman Recently Murdered in Argentina". The Advocate. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- Mascolo, Thomas (14 October 2015). "Encontraron muerta a Diana Sacayan, luchadora contra la transfobia". La Izquierda Diario (in Spanish). Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- Glum, Julia (15 October 2015). "Who Is Diana Sacayán? Transgender Activist In Argentina Found Dead After Possible Hate Crime". International Business Times. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- Prakash, Nidhi (2016-02-01). "Monica Loera is reportedly the first trans woman to be murdered this year". Fusion. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- Hernandez, Nina (2016-01-29). "Remembering Monica Loera". Austin Chronicle. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- "Trans Latina Monica Loera Murdered in Texas, Misgendered by Police and Media for a Week". 2016-01-30. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- "Advocates Search for Answers in Bakersfield Trans Woman’s Killing".
- "Cops Kill Man With Asperger's After Being Asked To Check On Him". The Huffington Post.
- "Police identify transgender woman stabbed to death in Frankford". 6abc Philadelphia.
- "Two Black Trans Women Killed in 48 Hours".
- "Black Trans Man Demarkis Stansberry Killed in Louisiana".
- "Iowa Community Mourns Death of Gender-Fluid Teen Kedarie/Kandicee Johnson".
- "Kourtney Yochum Becomes The 7th Reported Trans Person Murdered This Year". The Huffington Post.
- "Kourtney Yochum, 32". homicide.latimes.com.
- Campaign, Human Rights. "HRC Mourns the Loss of Shante Thompson | Human Rights Campaign". Human Rights Campaign. Retrieved 2016-04-15.
- TEGNA. "2 beaten, fatally shot along Midtown roadway". KHOU. Retrieved 2016-04-15.
- "Transgender Woman Found Dead, Beaten in Maryland Hotel Room". NBC4 Washington.
- Human Rights Campaign. "HRC Mourns Keyonna Blakeney". Human Rights Campaign.
- "Man stabbed to death in southwest Wichita". kansas. Retrieved 2016-05-21.
- "The Walker Family Calls for Action and Healing in Wichita, Kansas in Response to the Murder of Reese Walker, a Transgender Black Woman". The Huffington Post. 2016-05-12. Retrieved 2016-05-21.
- "Mercedes Successful Becomes 12th Transgender Person Killed in 2016".
- "Transgender man dies after attack". Burlington Free Press. 29 May 2016.
- Brighe, Mari (2016-06-15). "Trans Woman Killed in New Orleans, Police Considering Hate Crime". Retrieved 2016-06-18.
- Busby, Cek (2016-02-08). "trans activist nadine stransen found dead". GaynewsNetwork. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- Bona-Sou, Emilia (11 July 2016). "William Lound's killer says he is sorry for "pain and suffering" caused". Southport Visiter. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "William Lound killing: Mum 'devastated' by son's 'transphobic' murder". BBC News. 12 July 2016. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- Ali, Zulfiqar; Bengali, Shashank (25 May 2016). "Pakistani transgender activist who was shot, then taunted at hospital, dies of injuries". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 12 July 2016.