Punjab Police (India)
|Motto||ਸ਼ੁਭ ਕਰਮਨ ਤੇ ਕਬਹੁੰ ਨਾ ਟਰੋਂ
"Shubh karman te kabhun nan taron"
(Punjabi in Gurumukhi Script:"Let me never deviate from doing a righteous deed" - Lyrics from a poem by Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji Maharaj, 10th Patshahi")
|Annual budget||₹4,600 crore|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||State of Punjab, India|
|Map of Punjab Police's jurisdiction.|
|Primary governing body||Government of Punjab (India)|
|Secondary governing body||P.P.R. 1934|
|Sworn members||“To learn what is good, a thousand days are not sufficient; to learn what is evil, an hour is too long.”|
|Agency executive||Suresh Arora, Director General of Police|
|Motorcycle, Jeep, Cars, Buses, Trucks||3083|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
The Punjab Police is responsible for law enforcement in the state of Punjab, India. The mission of Punjab Police is the prevention and detection of crime, maintenance of law and order and the enforcement of the Constitution of India. The current chief of Punjab Police is Suresh Arora.
- 1 History
- 2 Insignia of Punjab Police
- 3 Rapid Rural Police Response System
- 4 Punjab Highway Patrol
- 5 Night Policing Scheme
- 6 Bureau of Investigation
- 7 Training centres
- 8 Armed Battalions
- 9 Weapons and Equipments
- 10 Vehicles
- 11 Punjab SWAT
- 12 Commemoration Day
- 13 Punjab police in popular culture
- 14 Praise
- 15 See also
- 16 References
- 17 External links
Insignia of Punjab Police
|Rank||Superintendent of Police (selection grade)||Superintendent of Police||Additional Superintendent of Police||Deputy Superintendent of Police|
|Rank||Inspector of Police||Assistant Inspector of Police2||Sub-Inspector of Police||Assistant Sub-Inspector of Police||Police Head Constable3||Senior Police Constable3||Police Constable|
Rapid Rural Police Response System
Punjab to be the first state of India to have Rapid Rural Police Response System which provides City PCR-like response service in rural areas. As Punjab Police adopted Computer-Aided-Dispatch (CAD) system for Dial 100 system, 289 four-wheelers and 724 GPS fitted motorcycles are being used.
Punjab Highway Patrol
Punjab Police have global positioning system (GPS) tracker and vehicle registration search device equipped highway patrol vehicles.
Night Policing Scheme
Bureau of Investigation
Punjab is the first State of India that have formed Bureau of Investigation and separated law & order duties from investigation functions by bringing all investigation staff of 7,772 under a unified wing command. The Bureau of Investigation would conduct investigation into civil and criminal cases registered at various police stations and is equipped with:
- mobile forensic evidence collection units
- regional forensic science labs
- modern cyber crime unit
- modern interview rooms
- modern women police stations in all districts
- Police Recruits Training Centre
Police Recruits Training Centre (PRTC) is located at Jahan Khelan, which is about 10 km from Hoshiarpur on the Una road. PRTC Jahan Khelan is headed by a Commandant. This is a subsidiary training centre of the Punjab Police Academy. It caters to the teaching and training needs of the newly recruited police constables and also organizes several other courses. It is the oldest and premier police training centre of Northern area and is functioning in this campus since November 1947 after shifting from fort Gobindgarh, Amritsar.
- Commando training centre
- Punjab Armed Police
- India Reserve Battalions
- Punjab Commando Police
The headquarters of the Punjab Armed Police are located at Jalandhar while the India Reserve Battalions are stationed at Sangrur, Amritsar, Patiala, Ludhiana and Jalandhar and the Punjab Commando Police at Bahadurgarh (Patiala) and S.A.S. Nagar (Mohali).
Weapons and Equipments
Punjab Police have 3083 vehicles and patrol cars like Mahindra Scorpio Getaways and Maruti Gypsys. PP also have motorcycles equipped with GPS and Multi Utility Vehicles equipped with GPS and CCTV cameras.
Punjab Police Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) was formed in 2010. They are usually tasked with protection duties. They are highly trained on the lines of National Security Guard by Israel's Mossad through private company Athena Security, deployed by the Punjab Government. All the commandos are under 28 years of age, thus making them fit and capable of tasks meant for commandos. Their main work is to fight against any terrorist attack if it occurs in Punjab State. They have been trained exclusively in Krav Maga, room intervention, close and open techniques and other secret tactics.
The SWAT is provided with various state-of-art equipment and the latest technology. The teams are provided with:
- Bullet-proof transport
- Light weight bullet-proof jackets and helmets
- Hands-free radio sets
- Complete anti-trauma body suit with level-2 protection
- Riot control helmet
- Gas masks
- Shock shields
- Laser guns
- Gas guns and
- Pepper gun launcher
- Glock 17 pistol
- Brugger & Thomet MP9 sub machine gun
- Heckler & Koch MP5 sub machine gun
- MTAR 21 X95 assault rifle
- SIG 552 assault rifle
- AK-47 assault rifle
- Steyr SSG 69
- Night vision device
Every year, 21 October is celebrated as Commemoration Day by Punjab Police.
Punjab police in popular culture
Punjab police has been frequently portrayed in films. Some of the prominent ones are listed below:
I know the difficulties and disaster which overtook the Punjab Police during the period of partition. Your force was depleted terribly and quickly you had to begin from a scratch. After such a partition and the period of communal disturbances a parallel of which is not known, you had to face great difficulties and you have in fact performed miracle in reorganizing your force in such a short time and in such a splendid manner
- "Punjab has over 70,000 policemen".
- Service, Tribune News (30 July 2015). "Punjab cops equipped with useless arms: CAG". http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/chandigarh/punjab-cops-equipped-with-useless-arms-cag/56897.html. Retrieved 30 July 2015. External link in
- "punjab police is getting problem due to vehicle scarcity". www.patrika.com (in Hindi). 15 February 2015. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Punjab". Overseas Indian Facilitation Centre. Archived from the original on 10 October 2011. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- "Tribune Chandigarh".
- "Police Ranks" (PDF). Maharashtra Police. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- "Governance of Kerala Police". Kerala Police. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- "Police Ranks and Badges". Odisha Police. Retrieved August 15, 2017.
- "Punjab to be the first state to have ‘rapid rural police response system’, Odisha Current News, Odisha Latest Headlines". OdishaDiary. 30 July 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Punjab set to launch new rural policing system". The Hindu. 2012-08-30. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- "‘Rapid Rural Police Response System finalised’". The Pioneer. 30 December 2014. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- Dua, Rohan (2013-07-15). "Punjab introduces GPS-enabled highway patrol vehicles". The Times of India. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- India (2013-07-15). "4,000-strong force to police Punjab at night". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- IANS (2013-07-14). "Punjab launches night policing". Business Standard News. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- Bajwa, Harpreet (2015-03-05). "Punjab Sets up Bureau of Investigation". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- "Punjab Govt separates investigation from law and order". The Pioneer. 2015-03-05. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- "Punjab Police gets separate wing to speed up investigations". http://www.hindustantimes.com/. 2015-03-04. Retrieved 2015-07-30. External link in
- "Spectrum". The Sunday Tribune. 2014-06-15. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- "Punjab Police adds 150 Scorpio Getaways to its fleet". IIFL - BSE/NSE, India Stock Market Recommendations, Live Stock Markets, Sensex/Nifty, Commodity Market, Financial News, Mutual Funds. 2010-09-24. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- Basu, Rahul (2010-09-24). "Punjab Police armoured with 30 new Scorpio Getaways". Zigwheels.com. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- "Punjab Police Gypsy 'hits' youth, speeds away". http://www.hindustantimes.com/. 4 June 2013. Retrieved 30 July 2015. External link in
- "Punjab police to get GPS bikes, CCTV-fitted cars soon". daily.bhaskar.com. 2012-08-02. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- "Israeli trainers for SWAT teams of Punjab Police".
- "Family of Punjab SWAT firing victim awaits justice".
- "Punjab had formed this SWAT team in 2011 after regular threats on Punjab politicians".
- "The 28 Punjab commandos involved in Monday's operation were also trained by Mossad.".
- "The state government had deployed a private company, Athena Security, to get the team trained through Israeli experts spending Rs 1.5 crore on the training.".
- "Gurdaspur attack: Punjab Police SWAT team bang on target".
- "Punjab Now Has Its Own SWAT".
- "The SWAT team deployed in Dinanagar was involved in an exercise at Amritsar and therefore could be deployed in Gurdaspur immediately".
- "How Punjab's new heroes stared death in the face and came back laughing".
- "Gurdaspur attack: Punjab's SWAT team's creation bears fruit".
- "Lashkar-e-Taiba behind Gurdaspur terror attack, confirms MHA".
- Police Commemoration Day
- "Watch: Babbu Maan in Baaz". The Times of India. 5 November 2014. Retrieved 30 July 2015.