This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Quizilla was a user-generated quiz website. It originally started as a website for quizzes. Many users were posting "quizzes" that were actually chapters of fan fiction, so a legitimate section for stories was added even though it is not always used. On October 16, 2006, Viacom's MTV Networks (Teen Nick) announced it had bought Quizilla for an undisclosed sum of money. After selling to TeenNick the site went from a free writing site to a PG-rated site. Due to the sudden changes, many users' work was deleted, which caused many people[clarification needed] to abandon the site.
In September 2014, Quizilla announced it was shutting down on October 1.
- The site was created on August 4, 2002, by Matthew Nielsen.
- In October 2006, the site was acquired by Viacom's MTV Networks for their teen channel The N, which was by then sharing channel space with the preschool channel Noggin (also owned by MTV Networks), before both channels split off as separate 24/7 channels and The N replaced the children's game show channel Nick GaS (both The N and Noggin also owned by MTV Networks).
- In 2011, MTV Networks was renamed Viacom Media Networks.
- On February 11, 2014, not as many works were being posted, believed to be due either to a system hack or the fact that many users had moved to less restrictive sites.
- In September 2014, the site announced it was shutting down on October 1 due to the drop in active users.
- As of October 2014, the site is now closed down.
Quizilla's message boards, introduced due to popular request, acted as a community for Quizilla users. There were different sections, such as anime, books, poetry, and movies, to discuss different topics. There have been many changes to the forum since its launch in April 2006, most noticeably in the types of content permitted on the forums, when a series of controversial threads called for a rapid increase in monitoring and rule enforcement.
In late May 2012, the forums were removed from the site indefinitely.
- "Viacom's MTV buys teen online community website quizilla.com". Digital Media Wire. 2006-10-17. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Hack of the Day". Matthew Nielsen (Xunker). 2002-08-04. Retrieved 2013-05-14.