User talk:Redrose64/unclassified 5

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Category:Articles with incorrect citation syntax

When you added the css that shows Lua citation errors to User:Redrose64/common.css you also seem to have added yourself to Category:Articles with incorrect citation syntax. I presume that that was not your intent.

Trappist the monk (talk) 12:00, 8 April 2013 (UTC)

Thanks. It wasn't intentional; I had assumed that anything inside /* ... */ would be ignored. I forgot that the MediaWiki parser does get to work on it, which is why {{db-u1}} works on user CSS and JS pages. Anyway, now fixed. --Redrose64 (talk) 12:53, 8 April 2013 (UTC)

Commons:Template:Distinguish

Hi, Could you take a look at this problem with the Template:Distinguish that's used for categories in Commons? For some reason, when there are only 2 parameters, it gives an error code, see: template and error. Thanks very much! --Funandtrvl (talk) 18:35, 8 April 2013 (UTC)

I think that this edit should fix it. --Redrose64 (talk) 18:47, 8 April 2013 (UTC)
TYVM!! --Funandtrvl (talk) 18:51, 8 April 2013 (UTC)

Changes to your comments in VPT archive

Hi Redrose64,

I've just tweaked a comment you made in the archived VPT discussion on {{CDD}}, after Werieth expressed concerns that your comment caused the page to appear in an NFCC violations report. Please see the archive's talk page for more detail. Thanks. – PartTimeGnome (talk | contribs) 21:13, 8 April 2013 (UTC)

Thanks, I've fixed it up to be non-copyright yet retain the original intent. However, I'm now concerned about a different edit to the same archive - see Wikipedia talk:Village pump (technical)/Archive 108#Mangled threads. --Redrose64 (talk) 22:09, 8 April 2013 (UTC)

Talkback

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Redrose64. You have new messages at Category talk:Pages containing citation needed template with deprecated parameters.
Message added 13:19, 13 April 2013 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Jason Quinn (talk) 13:19, 13 April 2013 (UTC)

Possible help situation

Hello R. I hope that you are enjoying the new episodes of the Doctor. Since you do so much good work with UK railway articles I an wondering if you can help with a response to this User talk:Old_Moonraker#File:Fishplate_on Bluebell Railway.jpg_missing_description_details notice that popped up on my watchlist today. Old Moonraker has not edited here since last August and wont see the message. As I've said before I know nothing about the ins and outs of dealing with the rules for pics. Since this one is used in 4 articles if it can be saved that would be nice. There is no obligation of course. Cheers and have a great week. MarnetteD | Talk 10:35, 14 April 2013 (UTC)

Thanks. I've notified Wikipedia talk:WikiProject UK Railways and Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Trains/Images task force. --Redrose64 (talk) 11:15, 14 April 2013 (UTC)
Thanks for taking the time to do that. Old Moonraker was a wikipedian who I learned a lot from (as indeed are you) and I thought that it would be a shame if we lost some of his work just because he wasn't editing anymore. Cheers. MarnetteD | Talk 13:32, 14 April 2013 (UTC)

Thanks

For watching my TP. But you might wanna check this guy out... mildly bizarre to say the least but probably a good laugh down the pub, in small doses. Basket Feudalist 12:44, 15 April 2013 (UTC)

...and ta for the MiszaBot clarification! Basket Feudalist 14:08, 15 April 2013 (UTC)

Namespace line breaks

Gaufre biscuit.jpg Thanks for removing my line breaks. I'll begin doing so on project pages for the diff-view's sake. — CpiralCpiral 16:52, 15 April 2013 (UTC)

Request for uninvolved 3rd party to comment.

Hello. I am requesting your opinions at Talk:Thomas Savage (died 1611)#Move and add to Thomas Savage as a third party to a discussion which I feel is nearing an impasse. I feel confident that if you chose to participate, your comments ideas and suggestions will be neutral and non-biased in favor or against either of the currently involved participants. If you do not wish to participate, I understand and respect your wishes. Thank you. Technical 13 (talk) 19:41, 16 April 2013 (UTC)

Talkback

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Redrose64. You have new messages at Template talk:Discussion top.
Message added 06:54, 17 April 2013 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

okay now. Mr T(Talk?) (New thread?) 06:54, 17 April 2013 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for April 18

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited British Rail Class 52, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page C-C (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 11:50, 18 April 2013 (UTC)

Similar editing habits of two users

check-mark
This help request has been answered. If you need more help, you can ask another question on your talk page, contact the responding user(s) directly on their user talk page, or consider visiting the Teahouse.

I don't know which is the correct forum for this. There are two users Baastow1 (talk · contribs) and Eemid (talk · contribs) who have recently made very similar edits to the same page - Baastow1's edit and Eemid's edit. They have both made similar edits on several other pages, but so far, not to the same page, other than Wikipedia talk:Redirect. What should be done, if anything? --Redrose64 (talk) 14:32, 21 April 2013 (UTC)

Um.. Hi :) Unless something drastically changed recently WP:SPI is the way to go for this. You can use WP:TW if you have it installed to make it easier (under ARV tab) to report. gwickwiretalkediting 14:54, 21 April 2013 (UTC)
Thanks, I did consider SPI early on, but their edits seem misguided rather than malicious. Anyway, filed at Wikipedia:Sockpuppet investigations/Baastow1. --Redrose64 (talk) 15:46, 21 April 2013 (UTC)

CheckUser

Need CheckUser — Preceding unsigned comment added by Slimyrasp2 (talkcontribs) 15:18, 22 April 2013 (UTC)

I take it that this is in relation to an open WP:SPI case. I cannot do this, for three reasons: (i) I don't have the checkuser right; (ii) you should make your comments on the actual SPI case; (iii) I don't know to whom you are referring. --Redrose64 (talk) 15:30, 22 April 2013 (UTC)
I usually enjoy tropical fruit, but not in this form. ​—DoRD (talk)​ 16:24, 22 April 2013 (UTC)

Helen Flanagan

Heya there, I saw you removed the two (minor) Helen Flanagan appearances from her Filmography. This was actually subject of a debate I had with another user. He/she wanted it in the Filmography section. Please see the talk page where we can discuss it further. Note Mrs Flanagan is of no interest to me I was just trying to help this IP user as they were having trouble with the markup. Cheers — MusikAnimal talk 19:21, 25 April 2013 (UTC)

Responded at Talk:Helen Flanagan. --Redrose64 (talk) 19:24, 25 April 2013 (UTC)

Good catch

Hello R. Good job at reverting the edits at The Horror of Fang Rock. regarding the OR I can categorically state that it is incorrect. Even though I saw it in analog on a 36 inch TV screen (sheesh it almost feels like the TV might have been made of stone ala The Flintstone's now) you could see the contacts that Louise wore were brown - along with how she blinked with the discomfort of wearing them. Then after the explosion plot point the blue of her eyes was quite apparent. I hope that you are enjoying the new episodes and I really hope that they show An Adventure in Time and Space over here on the same day that you get to see it. Cheers. MarnetteD | Talk 22:13, 25 April 2013 (UTC)

Thanks. Horror of Fang Rock was one that I saw first time around - but at that time, my parents' TV was still black-and-white - they didn't get a colour TV until about 1978. But I've watched stories like The Talons of Weng-Chiang where the brown is obvious. --Redrose64 (talk) 08:56, 26 April 2013 (UTC)

hi is there aa Wikipedia banner similer to [1] it is for the new main page desgn at User:Paladox2014/Main Page and could you change a code at User:Paladox2014/common.css so that it hides all my userspaces but not articles please Paladox2014 (talk) 20:26, 26 April 2013 (UTC)

Have you tried one of the links shown at Help:Contents? --Redrose64 (talk) 21:39, 26 April 2013 (UTC)
no but I tried searching for similer one Paladox2014 (talk) 12:04, 27 April 2013 (UTC)
I see that you have been sent a Teahouse invitation. I suggest that you try asking there, they specialise in the assistance of new editors. --Redrose64 (talk) 12:10, 27 April 2013 (UTC)
ok Paladox2014 (talk) 13:13, 27 April 2013 (UTC)

Talkback

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Redrose64. You have new messages at File talk:Azkals logo.JPG.
Message added 09:12, 28 April 2013 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

LGA talkedits 09:12, 28 April 2013 (UTC)

RDT figure in WP:VPT

Hi Redrose, I feel sorry if my sample RDT in WP:VPT has insulted you. At that time when I made that map, I was trying to mix all widths of icons that fits nicely from previous row, and my intention was to show you that I have not removed the possibility of mixing widths. Again that was not my intention to map the finger, and I feel sorry for causing any misinterpretation. — Peterwhy 17:46, 28 April 2013 (UTC)

Swayfield

Hi. I noticed you fixed a cite on Westville, Lincolnshire. There is a similar one in Swayfield Ext links that I'd be grateful if you could fix - this type of set citation formula is completely opaque to me. Thanks. Acabashi (talk) 00:31, 29 April 2013 (UTC)

 Fixed, see here - maps should use {{cite map}}, not {{cite book}}; and some parameters were either misused or did not exist. The sheet number is part of the title, so I moved it accordingly; the |section= parameter (which is part of {{cite map}}, but not {{cite book}}) is for showing the map reference (or some other identifier for the map square, like A4) - in an OS map, the grid reference SK994226 is best put here. In both templates, the |ref= parameter is not displayed, it is used for constructing links. My edit has got all the information to display, but there are still some minor issues. The |publisher= should be Ordnance Survey, not OSGB. The link given in the |url= parameter takes you to the publisher's sales page, but it should link to a viewable copy of the map concerned (see documentation for |url=). The rest seem fine. --Redrose64 (talk) 08:21, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
Thanks. I'll make a note of this and try to do it myself next time. Acabashi (talk) 09:06, 29 April 2013 (UTC)

A Barnstar for you

Tireless Contributor Barnstar.gif The Tireless Contributor Barnstar
Redrose64,in appreciation of all the hard work you have put into building Wikipedia.

You truly deserve the Tireless Contributor Barnstar. :-) Marek.69 talk 23:15, 29 April 2013 (UTC)

Face-smile.svg Thank you very much! --Redrose64 (talk) 06:16, 30 April 2013 (UTC)

Talkback

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Redrose64. You have new messages at Template talk:Sockpuppet.
Message added 17:44, 30 April 2013 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Ramaksoud2000 (Talk to me) 17:44, 30 April 2013 (UTC)

Edit request

Hi! Could you add a relief map to Template:Location map USA Massachusetts by inserting |image1=Relief map of USA Massachusetts.png in line 8? Thank you in advance! Michael! (talk) 12:48, 1 May 2013 (UTC)

Yes, it works. Michael! (talk) 11:45, 4 May 2013 (UTC)

Chorlton-cum-Hardy

Would you please have a look at the problem in this article; as much of the content has been contributed by myself the problem needs loking at from another direction. Apart from the tags in the lead there is a much longer term need. Andrew Simpson's history of C-c-H since about 1845 was published last year but the historical content of the article was all compiled before his research had been finished.--Felix Folio Secundus (talk) 16:59, 3 May 2013 (UTC)

What problem? This one? That's the only edit that I've ever made to that page. --Redrose64 (talk) 17:53, 3 May 2013 (UTC)
I am sorry; no problem with your contribution.--Felix Folio Secundus (talk) 19:16, 3 May 2013 (UTC)

Race to the North

Following North British, Arbroath and Montrose Railway I have made a major addition to "Race to the North". Since you helped out at NBA&MR and commented knowledgeably on its talk page about RTTN, when you have time could you look over Race to the North and see what needs doing? I still have my library books if anything needs looking up again. Thincat (talk) 13:36, 5 May 2013 (UTC)

Template include size is exceeded

see here. thank you. Frietjes (talk) 17:10, 8 May 2013 (UTC)

Thanks for fixing the small text

That wasn't deliberate, I don't understand the Wikicode there. --occono (talk) 16:41, 9 May 2013 (UTC)

It's really HTML, not Wiki markup; <small> reduces the text size and </small> puts it back to the previous size. If I put something like
Normal text <small>Small text <small>Double-small</small> back to small</small> back to normal
it looks like this:
Normal text Small text Double-small back to small back to normal
it's worse in navboxes, because the text size in those is already something like 88%-90% of normal size.
Similarly, <sup> begins superscripted text, and </sup> ends it again.
<br> (or <br /> which is equivalent) is a forced line break. --Redrose64 (talk) 16:54, 9 May 2013 (UTC)

Cross-posting

I appreciate the note. I would have been happy to have linked the three posts myself with a less admonishing private message on my talk page. czar · · 18:16, 9 May 2013 (UTC)

Protection Policy

You took part in a previous discussion on the protection policy talk page about the reference to "uncontroversial" edits. A survey is now in progress on that page in response to a request for comments. You may want to visit that talk page again and provide your input to try to obtain consensus. Robert McClenon (talk) 01:45, 14 May 2013 (UTC)

Talkback from Technical 13

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Redrose64. You have new messages at Technical 13's talk page.
Message added 14:13, 16 May 2013 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Technical 13 (talk) 14:13, 16 May 2013 (UTC)

Ref errors

Gotcha. Redrose64, can you please tell me how the current references errors are handled? And if there is currently any plans to improve it? TheOriginalSoni (talk) 14:10, 16 May 2013 (UTC)

If you mean the error messages like Missing or empty |title= (help), these are produced within Module:Citation/CS1 and Module:Citation/CS1/Configuration. --Redrose64 (talk) 14:19, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
Those as well as the errors shown when {{Reflist}} is absent, or when the reftags are incorrectly used and other such errors, Redrose64. Are there any plans to change those errors? If not, who might be the best person to ask if I want to make them more descriptive? TheOriginalSoni (talk) 15:13, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
The error messages like MediaWiki:Cite error refs without references are stored in system pages like MediaWiki:Cite error refs without references, but I believe that the general discussion page is Help talk:Cite errors. --Redrose64 (talk) 16:31, 16 May 2013 (UTC)

Queen Victoria's Journals

Just a heads-up in case you might be interested or know anybody else who might be:

Wikipedia:WikiProject University of Oxford/QueenVictoriasJournals

Cheers, --RexxS (talk) 19:29, 16 May 2013 (UTC)

I saw the geonotice, thanks. --Redrose64 (talk) 19:33, 16 May 2013 (UTC)

UK Wikimedian of the Year 2013/Nominations

The Wikimedia UK AGM will be held in June, and nominations for the UK Wikimedian of the Year are currently open. If there is someone who you feel has made an important contribution to the UK Wikimedia movement in the last year please go ahead and nominate them here by 09:00 (BST) on Monday 20th May at the latest. Richard Nevell (WMUK) (talk) 13:33, 17 May 2013 (UTC)

Request

Hi, Redrose64. I noticed you're around right now and if you wouldn't mind, could please create an editnotice for User:AutomaticStrikeout/talk page stalkers that reads:

Howdy, talk page stalker! Sign the guestbook while you're here! -AutomaticStrikeout  ?  14:17, 18 May 2013 (UTC)

I'm sorry to waste your time with this, but as far as I know, only admins and accountcreators can create editnotices for user subpages. AutomaticStrikeout  ?  14:17, 18 May 2013 (UTC)

(talk page stalker) I took the liberty of creating the edit notice you requested here. Please let me know if it suits your expectations and if there is anything I can do to improve it for you. Pardon the small changes I incorporated per general thoughts on copy-editing. Now I suppose I'll sign your guestbook. My76Strat (talk) 14:42, 18 May 2013 (UTC)
Thanks, My76Strat! AutomaticStrikeout  ?  14:49, 18 May 2013 (UTC)
Yes, Face-smile.svg Thank you My76Strat! I was indeed busy, trying to clear Category:Pages with malformed coordinate tags which this time yesterday had about 1700 pages in it. --Redrose64 (talk) 15:54, 18 May 2013 (UTC)
Nice work! AutomaticStrikeout  ?  16:21, 18 May 2013 (UTC)
Yes, I even surprised myself. --Redrose64 (talk) 16:39, 18 May 2013 (UTC)
You surprised me as well- Gnowangerup, Western Australia! Ning-ning (talk) 05:34, 19 May 2013 (UTC)

Persepolis

Hi! I think there is no reason to block users from editing in the following page. As so, Persepolis F.C. have some edits previous days I know but there's normal. When a club decided to change their coach, Somebody edited it that I see in Manchester United, Inter Milan, Barcelona and etc. pages. I asked you to free the page, if you can. Thanks. Tabarez (talk) 11:37, 20 May 2013 (UTC)

I'm the wrong person to ask, since I didn't protect the page. Requests for page unprotection should be made at WP:RFPP. --Redrose64 (talk) 11:44, 20 May 2013 (UTC)

Susan Foreman

Good edit on the Susan Foreman page regarding her appearance in The Name of the Doctor. I agree about the character "presumably" being Susan since the body-double was the same height and hair style. My question is about the sentence being original research. Do you have any suggestions how to avoid, improve, or edit the OR? Thanks.Docob5 (talk) 22:18, 20 May 2013 (UTC)

It's best to provide a reliable third-party source which explicitly states that Susan was the character that we see from the rear only. The decent writeup in the Telegraph completely fails to mention that the Doctor wasn't alone when he was "pilfering the spaceship". There's an item in Radio Times stating "with his granddaughter Susan" but I'm not sure that it's enough. --Redrose64 (talk) 23:55, 20 May 2013 (UTC)

SBN numbers

Hello Redrose64, I hope this is the right place to take up your offer of advice, please tell me if not. I came across one of your sweepings up last night which said something like ISBNs are preferred to SBNs, with which I agree. This must have been to do with Dow's "Great Central" which is my only book with an SBN. I have it in front of me and I can only see an SBN, how do I get from that to an ISBN? Kind regards, Dave DavidAHull (talk) 08:10, 21 May 2013 (UTC)

It's easy; the ISBN system is an expansion of the SBN system, using 10 digits instead of 9, and any SBN can be converted to a ISBN merely by adding a zero at the start. It's mentioned at the documentation for the |isbn= parameter.
As you can see, SBN 7110 1468 X has become ISBN 0 7110 1468 X. ISBNs are preferred over SBNs for several reasons, but mainly because the MediaWiki software incorporates code to detect an ISBN and create a link to Special:BookSources, as demonstrated in the previous sentence. It knows nothing of SBNs however; possibly because they were not used outside the UK, possibly because they were replaced by ISBNs about 40 years ago.
You will see ISBNs where the digit groups are separated by spaces, or by hyphens, or where all the digits are run together. It doesn't matter which you use, they all work the same - the separation is purely for human readability. --Redrose64 (talk) 09:25, 21 May 2013 (UTC)

Why do people always answer questions with links.

We do not read encyclopedias on here. Sometimes we just want a simple answer. Its crazy what people use to answer. You ask what they meant and they send you a definition of the word, rather than just saying for "a la": "in this way". I appreciated your help, but I don't appreciate having to read a whole article to get an answer!

TheUnknownNinjaNN2 (talk) 05:23, 22 May 2013 (UTC)

Thanks!

For deducing the cause there. Yeah, a change in a subtemplate and the job queue explains everything... including the range of ages we were seeing in the sandboxes that showed up. Much appreciated! --j⚛e deckertalk 15:50, 24 May 2013 (UTC)

Editnotice for Fallon Fox

The pronoun changes have continued, and I'm loath to request any form of protection for an article that was already (needlessly, IMHO) fully protected for almost a month. Often with these articles the people changing the pronouns simply haven't thought about whether Wikipedia might already have a policy on the topic, so it occurs to me that throwing up an {{MOS-TW}} editnotice might dissuade some of them. — PinkAmpers&(Je vous invite à me parler) 01:29, 25 May 2013 (UTC)

 Done. I was unable to use {{MOS-TW}} directly, so I've put its text into a {{editnotice}}, see Template:Editnotices/Page/Fallon Fox. --Redrose64 (talk) 13:28, 25 May 2013 (UTC)

Talkback

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Redrose64. You have new messages at Jayjg's talk page.
Message added 22:16, 26 May 2013 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Jayjg (talk) 22:16, 26 May 2013 (UTC)

A barnstar for you!

WikiDefender Barnstar Hires.png The Defender of the Wiki Barnstar
For connecting the dots on that sock - I seriously have no idea how I missed that. Rschen7754 08:28, 27 May 2013 (UTC)
Face-smile.svg Thank you He shot himself in the foot with that {{unblock-auto}} --Redrose64 (talk) 09:04, 27 May 2013 (UTC)

This time it's mybad

I knew I had forgotten something. I am so sorry, but for ­this redirect I also meant to add the Printworthy redirects category, like so...

{{Redr|move|related|printworthy|protected}}

Please add it in, and thank you so much! – PAINE ELLSWORTH CLIMAX! 18:09, 27 May 2013 (UTC)

OK, Done --Redrose64 (talk) 18:11, 27 May 2013 (UTC)
That was fast! You don't need a star – you are a star!-) – PAINE ELLSWORTH CLIMAX! 18:18, 27 May 2013 (UTC)

Your block

When blocking Citation bot, did you happen to notice that the operator is on a wikibreak due to limited net access? User:Smith609 might appreciate a gentle advisory by email. Cheers, LeadSongDog come howl! 04:07, 29 May 2013 (UTC)

OK, thanks. It seems that Martin's aware, see User talk:Addshore#Bot flag. --Redrose64 (talk) 07:45, 29 May 2013 (UTC)
Excellent. Thank you.LeadSongDog come howl! 21:21, 31 May 2013 (UTC)

So how do I report an error on {{cite doi}}?

- linked-to error page is deprecated, and the alternative you now have blocked.

Basically, I am trying to create a citation for {{cite doi|10.1093/ref:odnb/8634|noedit}} . This does exist, and the bot goes through the motions but fails on writing. I suspect that it is having two "/" which might throw it. Or maybe the template's not actually working right now. John of Cromer in transit (talk) mytime= Fri 14:42, wikitime= 13:42, 31 May 2013 (UTC)

When you say "the bot goes through the motions but fails on writing", what messages are you getting? --Redrose64 (talk) 14:10, 31 May 2013 (UTC)

This is what the bot does:

Expanding 'Template:Cite doi/10.1093.2Fref:odnb.2F8634'; will commit edits.
Revision #423
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[00:00:00] Processing page 'Template:Cite doi/10.1093.2Fref:odnb.2F8634' — edit—history 
 * Looking for bare references... 
 * Tidying reference tags... 
 - No references found.
 - No references found.
*-> 
1: Tidy citation and try to expand

 - Checking CrossRef for more details [DOItools.php/expand_from_crossref]
    + title: The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
    + year: 2004 (ok)
 - Searching PubMed...  no results. nothing found.
  2: DOI already present
3: Find PMID & expand
 - No changes since last PubMed search.
4: Expand citation
 - Checking CrossRef for more details [DOItools.php/expand_from_crossref] (ok)
 - No changes since last PubMed search.
5: Formatting and other tweaks
   First: Cite Doi formatting
 - Looking for co-authors & page numbers...
 -*Looking for more authors @ http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ref:odnb/8634:
  - Using meta tags...
  - Now scraping web-page.
No author specified
 (sorting parameters)
*** Complete. Citation assessed in 3 secs.


Add: title, year. Writing to Template:Cite doi/10.1093.2Fref:odnb.2F8634 ... Edit may have failed. Retrying: xxx Still no good. One last try: Failed.  Error code:  BLOCKED: This bot has been blocked from editing.  history / last edit


End of output
   # # #

Maybe you blocked more than error reporting? John of Cromer in transit (talk) mytime= Fri 18:41, wikitime= 17:41, 31 May 2013 (UTC)

The message "Error code: BLOCKED: This bot has been blocked from editing" is clear: the bot wanted to make the change but cannot do so because it is blocked. I don't see why that means that I "blocked more than error reporting": I blocked Citation bot (talk · contribs). I did that because it has made a number of bad edits, which various people (not just myself) have been reporting as bugs, and those bug reports have been going largely unanswered and unaddressed. I alerted WP:BON to the issue.
Alternative methods of using Citation bot do exist, they are described at User:Citation bot/use and I strongly urge you to verify the edit before saving, to make sure that you are not going to make the same mistakes that have resulted in the bot's block. --Redrose64 (talk) 19:33, 31 May 2013 (UTC)
These days I'm limited to one-hour sessions in the library, and that {{citation bot}} was too heavy to fathom in the time. Meanwhile though, it seems to have done something - either in background, or the wikifairy did it. John of Cromer in transit (talk) mytime= Mon 18:50, wikitime= 17:51, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

Question about redirects being counted in some categories

Greetings, I noticed that among the comments I didn't agree with Revent points to one problem that I think might be worthwhile to look into. He says that tagging the biographies as redirects adds the redirect to Category:Biography articles without listas parameter, which also flags it as a 'biography article needing attention' and as 'wikipedia template parameter issues'. If these are true then I think we should try and do something to sort that out. Would it be possible to modify the coding of the template to not count redirects towards the Biography articles without listas parameter category? Kumioko (talk) 17:45, 31 May 2013 (UTC)

I don't think that should be done. Given that {{WikiProject Biography}} doesn't use |class=redir, any time that is used the talk page ends up in Category:NA-Class biography articles. If you look in that category for Talk: pages (not User talk: or File talk: pages), you'll see that the vast majority are sorted by surname - if you check, you'll find that in each case, the |listas= has been set on the {{WikiProject Biography}}. --Redrose64 (talk) 19:18, 31 May 2013 (UTC)
Ok no problem thanks. Kumioko (talk) 19:25, 31 May 2013 (UTC)

Talkback

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Redrose64. You have new messages at Template_talk:Archives.
Message added 22:54, 31 May 2013 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Thanks. Thane formerly Guðsþegn (talk) 22:54, 31 May 2013 (UTC)

Same-sex marriage

Hello, You intervened on the talk page a couple of times on, if I read you correctly, my side of an argument about date formats. Our interlocutor has not come back again on the talk page but has now once again reverted the article itself to an inconsistent format in the table, with an edit summary describing my edit as "idiotic". Would you be interested in pursuing this? I don't want to transgress 3RR. -- Alarics (talk) 06:41, 2 June 2013 (UTC)

Thanks. Hope he/she takes more notice of you as an admin than he/she does of me. -- Alarics (talk) 11:47, 2 June 2013 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Village pump (technical)

Sincerest apologies; fat fingers and bleary eyes. - TB (talk) 10:02, 2 June 2013 (UTC)

Citation bot

Hi, I unblocked Citation bot, as the reason you blocked was apparently resolved. Please don't hesitate to re-block without consulting me if any problems persist. Thanks. --Closedmouth (talk) 14:29, 2 June 2013 (UTC)

47/4 and 47/8 on British Rail Class 47

This is a tricky one. The other editor is absolutely correct - the long range 47s were always officially 47/4s (474AX) but that's hellishly difficult to source. The only way you could probably do it is to find (a) an official BR memo or document (b) a TOPS report for 474AX which contains 47/8s, or (c) a 47/8 data panel. The latter should be fairly easy to find (indeed, you could go out and take a photo of one now) except that BR often stopped putting "Class 47/4" or any other locomotive subclass on data panels; they often showed simply "Class 47". Of course, this is exacerbated by the fact that many sources refer to the batch as "47/8" purely because of their numbering system. As I say, tricky... Black Kite (talk) 18:38, 4 June 2013 (UTC)

  • Aha - 47828 data panel, taken in 1999 - [2] (taken from this page). Black Kite (talk) 18:43, 4 June 2013 (UTC)

NR managed stations

Comparing the two revisions [3][4], the difference appears to be the removal of Gatwick Airport railway station from the list. —Sladen (talk) 19:53, 5 June 2013 (UTC)

Exactly so; I have copies of Commercial_Information.pdf (or its equivalent) for every six-monthly revision going back to December 2006. Gatwick Airport was last shown as managed by Network Rail with the December 2011 edition - the May 2012 states that there are 17 managed stations. The relevant page number changed from 41 to 43 with the May 2013 edition (due to two extra pages in the "What's New" section). I hadn't freshened the ref earlier, because the existing ref did support the text of the articles: 18 managed stations. But when I was going through my watchlist (I'm up to edits made Monday 3 June), I noticed that 86.174.123.158 (talk) had been systematically altering 18 to 17, without updating the ref, so rather than revert, I was going around all 18 stations, freshening up the refs. I only had St Pancras and Gatwick left to do, but I saw that the ref in the article as it stood was broken - so I went back through the edits to see where it broke - which turned out to be your edit. I wished to work from a clean version, which meant reverting your edit and then carrying out the same edit that I had done on the first 16; unfortunately your revert got in the way. --Redrose64 (talk) 20:32, 5 June 2013 (UTC)

Clowne South

Hello again. Please remind me how I put an "I am working on this" message on articles. You commented about avoiding "commentary", please give an example of "commentary" so I can strive to avoid it. You removed a link to the website 'Picture the Past', was that a casualty of general zapping or is it frowned upon to make such links? Dave DavidAHull (talk) 18:18, 6 June 2013 (UTC)

{{under construction}} or {{inuse}}
Commentary is where you write your own opinions into an article. Some examples:
  • Matters would be easier for historians if the stations had been called "Clowne South" and "Clowne and Barlborough" from the outset, but these clearly different names are relatively modern inventions.
  • A clear record of when this article's Clown became "Clowne South" has yet to be found, it is likely to have been between 1948 and 1951 when the recently formed British Railways renamed many stations across the country, for example the two "Bolsover" stations became "Bolsover South" and "Bolsover Castle".
  • Mentions are sometimes made of a connection between the two lines, which can lead people to to suppose services crossed between them.
I removed the www.picturethepast.org.uk ref because it was associated with the following commentary, which I also removed:
  • On the attached photograph it is possible to make out both stations, but some effort is needed, given its quality.
Also please note that putting comments like which all maps and track plans confirm or References are set out in that station's Wikipedia entry does not satisfy WP:V; the second of these also breaches WP:CIRCULAR.
We are here to describe, in neutral terms, what other people have already written elsewhere, not to offer speculation regarding why something happened, or opinions on whether something was right or wrong. --Redrose64 (talk) 18:37, 6 June 2013 (UTC)
This is clear and helpful, thank you. DaveDavidAHull (talk) 22:48, 10 June 2013 (UTC)
I have (twice) removed a section titled "Ambiguity" - these are not normally used. Where any matters of potential confusion are not covered in the main text or a hatnote, both of which were already present in this article, a "See also" section may be appropriate, see MOS:APPENDIX. --Redrose64 (talk) 23:46, 10 June 2013 (UTC)

Hyde Junction station

With your railway hat on, could you tell me when this station was renamed to Hyde North? (I am transcribing my mother's diary from 1933, when it was Hyde Junction, and she used it frequently to go rambling with her friends). Thanks John of Cromer in transit (talk) mytime= Fri 17:48, wikitime= 16:48, 7 June 2013 (UTC)

17 September 1951. I've updated the infobox. --Redrose64 (talk) 17:12, 7 June 2013 (UTC)
Thanks. My birthday! (not year) John of Cromer in transit (talk) mytime= Fri 18:40, wikitime= 17:40, 7 June 2013 (UTC)

Help with a table

Hi Redrose64- I noticed that you have provided assistance on the Table Help page. I have posted a request for assistance on the talk page here and if you have a moment would appreciate any input you could provide. Thank you in advance--Godot13 (talk) 04:44, 8 June 2013 (UTC)

Responded there. Please note that posting to WP:VPT will attract the attention of many more people than this user talk page. --Redrose64 (talk) 08:23, 8 June 2013 (UTC)
Thank you very much for your help, it makes perfect sense. Understood about WP:VPT. Cheers. --Godot13 (talk) 14:43, 8 June 2013 (UTC)

"please don't use the ellipsis character" in Template:Tlg

See diff — What's wrong with it? --Patrick87 (talk) 00:50, 9 June 2013 (UTC)

I'd concur. Redrose, please could you explain your thinking… Ellipsis is not the same as three full-stops and so this change appears to be wrong. —Sladen (talk) 01:28, 9 June 2013 (UTC)
MOS:ELLIPSIS. --Redrose64 (talk) 07:36, 9 June 2013 (UTC)
Ok, I see. So it's again some stupid policy in the end... Actually I meant to do it right by using the Ellipsis character (instead of typing just three dots as I normally do for convenience). --Patrick87 (talk) 11:57, 9 June 2013 (UTC)

A barnstar for you!

Vitruvian Barnstar Hires.png The Technical Barnstar
Thank you for your assistance at Help talk:Citation Style 1, which is representative of your far-reaching work elsewhere as well. VQuakr (talk) 04:34, 10 June 2013 (UTC)
Face-smile.svg Thank you --Redrose64 (talk) 07:56, 10 June 2013 (UTC)

Question about Template:WikiProect United States

Greetings Redrose, I hope you don't mind but I have a couple of questions about Template:WikiProject United States that I can't seem to figure out and I was hoping you might be willing to spare a couple minutes.

  1. First I am having some trouble getting the comments categories to work. None of them are generating to the article categories and I am sure there are a few with comments subpages.
  2. The second question relates to the File:Portal-puzzle.svg image that is displaying before the links to the logic for what portal an article is used on. It currently shows as a generic puzzle piece but I was wondering if it would be possible to make this reflect the Icon for the appropriate portal. Not sure if that's even possible but I thougtht I would ask.

Thanks in advance for the help. Kumioko (talk) 01:01, 12 June 2013 (UTC)

  1. Comments pages - in the form of talkpage subpages - have been discouraged for at least three years. The code in the {{WPBannerMeta}} group which handled comments was significantly modified in February 2012 although there is still provision for them. Comments subpages must have names of the form {{FULLPAGENAME}}/Comments e.g. Talk:Barack Obama/Comments. If you know of any such pages which exist, please note them here so I can trace through what is happening.
  2. This, I believe relates to the five groups of code like
|note 1={{{portal1-name|}}}
 |NOTE_1_IMAGE       = Portal-puzzle.svg
 |NOTE_1_TEXT        = This {{pagetype|{{{class|}}}}} has been {{#if:{{{portal1-link|}}}
  |[[Portal:{{{portal1-name}}}/{{{portal1-link}}}|selected]]
  |selected
 }} for use on the [[Portal:{{{portal1-name}}}|{{ucfirst:{{{portal1-name}}}}} portal]].
 |NOTE_1_CAT         = {{#ifexist:Portal:{{{portal1-name}}}/{{{portal1-link|}}}
  |United States articles used on portals
  |United States articles with invalid parameters
 }}
I suspect that you need to modify the second line of each group as follows
 |NOTE_1_IMAGE       = {{#ifexist:Template:Portal/Images/{{{portal1-name}}}|{{Portal/Images/{{{portal1-name}}}}}|Portal-puzzle.svg}}
and similarly for the other four. That way, if (for example) a talk page has |portal1-name=Alaska, you'll get the contents of Template:Portal/Images/Alaska being used instead of Portal-puzzle.svg
You can check to see which portals have images set by looking at the list in the documentation of Template:Portal/Images - you may need to click the "purge" link to ensure it's up to date. --Redrose64 (talk) 08:59, 12 June 2013 (UTC)
Thank you very much. Kumioko (talk) 10:35, 12 June 2013 (UTC)

I just wanted to let you know I ran a query and there are only 58 articles at all that have a /Comments subpage as can be seen here. As such there aren't enough IMO to warrant having the logic in the template so I am going to just remove it from the template. Thanks again. Kumioko (talk) 14:25, 12 June 2013 (UTC)

That's a query on the main namespace. /comments pages were created in the talk namespace though, and there are still some 20,000 of those[5]. And as you can see at e.g. Talk:Virginia, the comments functionality of the US project tag seems to work, as it shows "This article has comments here." Fram (talk) 14:38, 12 June 2013 (UTC)
(edit conflict) Ah, I see your problem. Within the context of a WikiProject banner, comments pages are always subpages of the talk page. However, your list is of pages in article space; of those, three (1632 Comments, 1632 Slush Comments, April Fools' Day Request for Comments) cannot be comments pages because there is no slash in the names they are not subpages. Of the remainder, I've looked at the first twenty (down to Emma Watson/Comments), and every single one is a redirect. I suspect that these were misplaced comments pages at one time, but have been converted to redirects because articles may not have subpages. --Redrose64 (talk) 14:45, 12 June 2013 (UTC)
You guys are quick. After I did some more research I found that there are more under the talk namespace as well as differing naming conventions for comments. Some are Comments, some are comments, some are other things. Kumioko (talk) 14:49, 12 June 2013 (UTC)

Oxford meetup & WMUK membership newsletter

Hi, would you be willing to write a relatively short (~200 words) piece on Oxford Meetups for the Wikimedia UK's membership newsletter? To go out at the end of this month, I will be looking for something by 24th. If you are pressed for time, you can write a bullet list of points and we can put it into paragraphs for you. Thanks -- Katie Chan (WMUK) (talk) 10:28, 12 June 2013 (UTC)

Problems with the sfn template

Hi, I have an annoying problem with Template:Sfn. I'm not sure where I can ask for help on this, but since you've edited the template documentation most recently I hope you can help me. Can you please take a look at Trebenna? No matter what I try, I can't get the Çevik 2005 links of the shortened footnotes in the References section to link to the full reference in the Sources section. I've observed that I can get it to work with the harvtxt template like in Nagidos, but I'd prefer the sfn template. Template:Sfn says:

Template {{harvnb}} inside a <ref> span can be used to create a Shortened footnotes that is linked to the full citation at the bottom of the article. Template {{sfn}} has the same effect and it also combines identical footnotes automatically.

Not sure if I understand correctly, but when I put the sfn template inside the ref tags it will give me an error message. Without the ref tags it doesn't give me an error but still doesn't link. I'd appreciate any help you could give me very much. --AlexanderVanLoon (talk) 12:18, 12 June 2013 (UTC)

You need to supply all the lastnames (to a maximum of four), like this. --Redrose64 (talk) 13:39, 12 June 2013 (UTC)
Thanks a ton for your help! I now realize that I could have read this in the template's documentation if I had paid more attention. Possibly the documentation could explain it more easily, but I guess hours of non-stop Wikipedia activity had taken their toll on my attention span. --AlexanderVanLoon (talk) 16:12, 12 June 2013 (UTC)

Windermere: Barrow-In-Furness

I have undone your edit on the Windermere Railway Station article. At the moment there is a weekday service from Barrow-in-Furness to Windermere at 17:21 and arrives at 19:08. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Thealexweb (talkcontribs) 16:23, 13 June 2013 (UTC)

When you write "an occasional service", this makes it sound like it could have been a charter, or a special due to problems elsewhere - either way, it seems like a one-off, so per WP:V, it needs a source. --Redrose64 (talk) 16:45, 13 June 2013 (UTC)
I have uploaded screenshots from Transpennine's app to Photobucket, showing services from Barrow-in-Furness and Preston. I will get you a screenshot of the Blackpool North service the next time it runs on Monday at about 10:30pm http://s117.photobucket.com/user/thealexweb/library/Windermere --Thealexweb (talk) 12:10, 22 June 2013‎ (UTC)
It still needs referencing in the article itself, using a WP:RS not a WP:SPS like photobucket. --Redrose64 (talk) 13:07, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
Page 58 of NWR timetable 82. Not obvious, as it only shows the route to Lancaster and you need to check the key to see that the "E" in the column header stands for "continues to Windermere", but definitely there. – iridescent 15:07, 22 June 2013 (UTC)

Vertical spacing

Thanks for the technical answer. But I don't see any difference between lists and non-lists with that. Perhaps I'm testing it wrong. I've added my examples to the MOS talk. Perhaps you can correct them? 86.121.18.17 (talk) 13:45, 17 June 2013 (UTC)

Related, venue question

Is there some official place where I should solicit input regarding potential changes to the global CSS, as that vertical spacing issue might require? 86.121.18.17 (talk) 21:44, 26 June 2013 (UTC)

MediaWiki Talk:Common.css or WP:VPT. --Redrose64 (talk) 22:02, 26 June 2013 (UTC)

Station Previous/Next Boxes

Hello again. Thank you for sweeping up after me once more. Missing thet "Rotherham" defaulted to R Central was a daft mistake, given that I worked in Rotherham for several years. On to my latest tutorial request: 1. is there any convention which railway company to use? eg for Treeton BR, LMS, MR and NMR all apply. 2. what is the convention for "line closed"? re Treeton once again the line from Treeton part way to Masborough is open for freight and part way for passengers, but the whole way is "open"; could the Mas section be "Line open, station closed"? Kind regards, Dave DavidAHull (talk) 20:42, 17 June 2013 (UTC)

Routeboxes concern passenger services, so the terms "closed" and "open" refer to the passenger facility. Thus, routes which still handle freight traffic but have no passenger service count as "closed". At Rotherham Masboro, there were two routes to the south - the one to Sheffield Midland still has a passenger service, so that's "open"; but the old North Midland line through Treeton has not had a passenger service for many years, so it's "closed".
The middle box, specified by |route= normally shows the operating company at the top, in normal size type. Since operating companies changed over the years, the usual convention is to show the last pre-grouping operator, except for stations opened in 1923 or later, where we show the first operator. Below that, in <small>...</small> type, is the name of the line - this is generally the name of the railway for whom the line was built. So, at stations like Treeton, the former LD&ECR service to Sheffield Midland should be shown with Great Central Railway on the upper line, and Sheffield District Railway below.
Associated with |route= is |col= and this should be a template, selected from those in Category:Templates for UK railway line colours as in |col={{GCR colour}} for the Great Central Railway. --Redrose64 (talk) 21:18, 17 June 2013 (UTC)
Thanks, Dave DavidAHull (talk) 09:22, 18 June 2013 (UTC)

London Necropolis Company

I have been bold and added this to WP:TFAR. Simply south...... fighting ovens for just 7 years 20:57, 21 June 2013 (UTC)

I've withdrawn it. Simply south...... fighting ovens for just 7 years 15:19, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
Do you want to comment anything at WP:AN#Legal issues with London Necropolis Company? Simply south...... fighting ovens for just 7 years 15:57, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
No, thanks. All I know is what Iridescent (talk · contribs) emailed me. If Iri wishes to comment on that AN, that's fine by me; but it would be improper for me to do so. --Redrose64 (talk) 16:27, 22 June 2013 (UTC)

Passenger service over the Old Road

Hello, you're quick off the mark! On Eckington and Renishaw you've changed the previous/nexts from "Line open, station closed" to "Line and station closed" which has me baffled, as you've allowed the text about a few services each day (see psul 2012 on 'tinternet) going round that way. Doesn't that mean that the stretch of line from the site of Killamarsh West to Tapton Junction inclusive is "open", ie open for passengers? DaveDavidAHull (talk) 18:40, 22 June 2013 (UTC)

You added text 'with a handful of passenger trains going the "long way round" from Chesterfield to Sheffield via the Old Road largely to retain staff route knowledge in case of diversions', indeed; but you didn't source it (see WP:V). The most recent edition of
  • Baker, Stuart K. (2010) [1977]. Rail Atlas Great Britain & Ireland (12th ed.). Hersham: Oxford Publishing Co. pp. 53, 56. ISBN 978-0-86093-632-9. 1010/C.  Unknown parameter |month= ignored (help)
shows the route from Woodhouse Junction to Tapton Junction in red, which means "freight only line". What is "psul 2012"? --Redrose64 (talk) 20:28, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
OK, I didn't source it, I must confess to taking it as common knowledge; mea culpa. If you put "psul 2012" into any search engine on the internet you get onto the site "Passenger Train Services over Unusual Lines", here's the link in full http://www.psul4all.free-online.co.uk/2012.htm I am disquieted that psul 2013 doesn't seem to be there, I hope the chap who has done this for some years is OK, but 2012 trumps 2010 Baker. I was casually confident about these trains because I've seen them set off from Chesterfield and talked to my Northern Rail conductor brother who explained the main rationale for running them that way. On to the wider question, if this counts as "open" would the correct box entry be "Line open, station closed"? DaveDavidAHull (talk) 22:12, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
I don't know where it was hiding, possibly with odd socks and car keys, but here is psul 2013 - http://www.psul4all.free-online.co.uk/2013.htm , if you scroll down past the intro the second block you come across is "Beighton Junction - Tapton Junction (51,53) YE01" Dave DavidAHull (talk) 22:49, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
The code YE01 looks familiar - see the Working Timetable. I suppose that as it is demonstrable that trains are booked over that route, all the sections between Tapton Junction and Woodhouse Junction are "line open", but unless passenger trains are booked to run direct from Beighton Junc to Masboro, that stretch is "line closed". --Redrose64 (talk) 23:27, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
Thank you for the interesting WTT, for what it's worth I've gone through it sufficiently to match 1R50 0520 SuX Nottingham - Liverpool Lime Street to psul 2013. I agree on both counts re Tapton Jct to Masbro'.Dave86.140.15.72 (talk) 08:16, 23 June 2013 (UTC)Drat, forgot to sign in.DaveDavidAHull (talk) 08:20, 23 June 2013 (UTC)
Sticking with prev/next boxes, you've rightly corrected my West Tinsley/Attercliffe Road, I had put Line open, station closed" thinking just of Att Rd, not the line between WT & Att Rd. I'll get the hang of it in time. Onto something related, I have started adding the North Midland Railway route map to Old Line stations as I work through them, but I can't persuade it to default to Collapsed or whatever the term is. Can you please make it do so? I am reluctant to mess with someone else's fine work at my stage. Thanks in anticipation, DaveDavidAHull (talk) 10:52, 23 June 2013 (UTC)
RDTs for rail lines are normally put on the pages about the lines, not on the individual stations, partly because of the space they occupy, partly because of similar concepts (line template goes with line article). That said, there are a few stations with RDTs, but as can be seen when attempting to save even the tiniest edit on pages like Fishponds railway station or Chepstow railway station, the save takes a very long time. Anyway, this edit means that you can use {{North Midland Railway|collapse=yes}}. --Redrose64 (talk) 11:18, 23 June 2013 (UTC)

Some baklava for you!

Baklava - Turkish special, 80-ply.JPEG ­ Fan of Food Roleplay (talk) 14:12, 23 June 2013 (UTC)

"JulianBrabour" slandering Tim Koslowski

Dear Redrose64,

I would like to bring it to your attention that wikipedia user "JulianBrabour" has been attempting to slander physicist Tim Koslowski indirectly since mid-May on the Shape Dynamics article.

(cur | prev) 16:35, 12 May 2013‎ JulianBrabour (talk | contribs)‎ . . (6,235 bytes) (+287)‎ . . (qualification and supporting reference added) (undo)

and directly on the Shape Dynamics, Lee Smolin and Julian Barbour articles on June 23, 2013.

(cur | prev) 17:26, 23 June 2013‎ JulianBrabour (talk | contribs)‎ . . (6,365 bytes) (+421)‎ . . (undo) (cur | prev) 20:26, 23 June 2013‎ JulianBrabour (talk | contribs)‎ m . . (20,991 bytes) (+80)‎ . . (Undid revision 561252451 by 108.60.160.78 (talk)) (undo) (cur | prev) 20:27, 23 June 2013‎ JulianBrabour (talk | contribs)‎ . . (8,527 bytes) (+81)‎ . . (undo)


It is probable that these comments were posted to influence others decisions on grants and job posts that Tim Koslowski has applied for.

Thank you,

Concerned — Preceding unsigned comment added by 87.171.242.93 (talk) 09:00, 24 June 2013 (UTC)

Advice please

As you have previously commented on an issue at Image use policy talk, could you perhaps advise on this - Wikipedia talk:Image use policy#Advice please. Many thanks. Acabashi (talk) 12:48, 25 June 2013 (UTC)

Mail

Mail-message-new.svg
Hello, Redrose64. Please check your email; you've got mail! The subject is a line on St. Pancras which has citation issues.
It may take a few minutes from the time the email is sent for it to show up in your inbox. You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{You've got mail}} or {{ygm}} template. — Sir Rcsprinter, Bt (tell me stuff) @ 21:30, 29 June 2013 (UTC)
More than 24 hours, no email received. It's not in my spam box either. Please note: I discuss matters related to Wikipedia on Wikipedia itself. --Redrose64 (talk) 23:13, 30 June 2013 (UTC)

Mark One Coach Models

I would be interested to know why you removed the link to the Mark One Model Coach Numbers table. Please would you consider reverting that. I can think of some arguments that might be deployed but none of them in my eyes match the benefit that is gained by accessing this information which has taken years to compile and which respected authorities like Pat Hammond, Model Rail magazine refer to.Robertforsythe (talk) 08:42, 1 July 2013 (UTC)

The article is about the Mark 1 coaches themselves, not about models of that coach. Please read the guideline on external links, particularly the section Links normally to be avoided. I consider that your page fails item 11. On that page, you ask for mistakes to be pointed out (more on this to follow); if the information is not accurate, it may also fail item 2. --Redrose64 (talk) 10:16, 1 July 2013 (UTC)
Anyway, I've detected several mistakes and omissions.
  • Bachmann's Mark 1 gangwayed coaches with catalogue numbers 34-725/6/7, 34-750/1/2, 34-775/6/7 and 34-800/1, although shown in the catalogues between 1996 and 1998, were never actually released to the public with those catalogue numbers. Bachmann were introducing their "Blue Riband" range at the time, the tooling for which was somewhat more complicated than their traditional items, so I assume that there were production delays. When the Bachmann Mark 1 coaches finally appeared, they had catalogue numbers from 39-025 up (as shown in the 1999 catalogue) and were in "Blue Riband" boxes.
  • Bachmann make a RU in crimson & cream; this first appeared in the 2008 catalogue as item 39-105, and was shown on p. 87; in 2009 it was on p. 88; in 2010, p. 87. In the 2011-12 edition, it was now item 39-105A on p. 90; and in the 2012-13 edition, on p. 95. I have not yet obtained the 2013-14 catalogue.
  • Replica Railways coach packs containing 2x BS and 1x C (each on long underframes) - the left-hand table shows how you've listed these, the right-hand table is constructed from those items actually in my possession:
C S 41060 Replica 12594?  
C S 41061 Replica 12593?  
C S 41062 Replica 12593  
BS S 43774 Replica 12595?  
BS S 43775 Replica 12595?  
BS S 43376 Replica 12594?  
BS S 43777 Replica 12594?  
BS S 43378 Replica 12593  
BS S 43379 Replica 12593  
C S 41060 Replica 12591  
C S 41061 Replica 12592  
C S 41062 Replica 12593  
BS S 43374 Replica 12591  
BS S 43375 Replica 12591  
BS S 43376 Replica 12592  
BS S 43377 Replica 12592  
BS S 43378 Replica 12593  
BS S 43379 Replica 12593  
From this you can see that pack 12593 is listed correctly, but the other two are not. Some of your errors here (e.g. 43775 for 43375 and 43777 for 43377) were clearly typos; I suspect that there are similar errors elsewhere in your list. They went on sale out of sequence: 12593 was released in 2004; 12591 in 2006; 12592 was I think in 2008, certainly no earlier than 2007.
  • Replica Railways also make a long-frame S, of which I have four from the initial batch made in 2006: catalogue numbers are 12596A/B/C/D, running numbers S46280/3/7/8 respectively.
A note of caution: please be wary of using catalogue photos as a guide to running numbers. For new introductions, the catalogue photo may show a design mockup, or a pre-production sample, and these may not have the same running numbers as those actually produced for sale. This is particularly the case with Bachmann, who often have a significant delay between the first appearance of a model in the catalogue, and the actual availability for sale - sometimes this has been more than three years. --Redrose64 (talk) 11:21, 1 July 2013 (UTC)
Depending on when you looked at the table, a new version was uploaded today.Nonetheless several of the matters you point out probably remain. I intend to work through making the changes and reuploading. The whole thing has been a co-operative effort hence the acknowledgements at the end. I am perfectly happy to acknowledge you although I prefer to use real names. I do usually retain projected reference numbers (the criteria being whether I wish an entry in a intended book behind this). Once I have re-uploaded I shall tell you. I would maintain that it is a pity if access is not easily made to this information and if the problem is me making the link, then you could make the link yourself. Robertforsythe (talk) 19:20, 1 July 2013 (UTC)
An edition reflecting the points you have made is now live here. Robertforsythe (talk) 20:46, 1 July 2013 (UTC)
Er. The one I looked at this morning was marked "The upload is as of 3rd January 2013"; I've just looked at one marked "The upload is as of 1st July 2013" but I don't see any difference except at the bottom where you mention "Redrose" (I'm Redrose64, not Redrose (talk · contribs), who is somebody else entirely). --Redrose64 (talk) 20:55, 1 July 2013 (UTC)
Err. The Replica Railways running numbers were most definitely changed last night. You might make sure your cache has been refreshed. I find the anonymity of the openness of Wikipedia very confusing. If you would like to be credited as Redrose64, just let me know.Robertforsythe (talk) 09:25, 2 July 2013 (UTC)
There were problems with the upload. The master Excel table was changed yesterday and I thought that the translating of this into the web page was taking place. It was not. I only do this operation once or twice a year and evidently I forgot the route to do this. I am certain the table is now as it should be and invite you to check this. I thank you for your helpfulness in regard to all this. If we can agree that the corrections you were mentioning are in place, can we then chat about how we can assist the Wikimedia community in gaining access to this data? Robertforsythe (talk) 10:19, 2 July 2013 (UTC)
OK, now it's changed. I see that two typos are still present: S 43777 (for S 43377) on Replica 12592, and S 46287 (for S 46288) on Replica 12596D. Regarding suitability, I've started a thread at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject UK Railways#External links to lists of models. --Redrose64 (talk) 12:39, 2 July 2013 (UTC)
Those other typos should now be correct. There are a few question marks left and if you can aid resolving any of those that would be great. Essentially so long as I keep an EXCEL master with me, I don't mind the web version being linked to from Wikipedia or the material therein entering a Wiki table although with my computer skills I am probably not keen on doing that myself. Our whole thread here initially started from one link being added. Robertforsythe (talk) 16:12, 2 July 2013 (UTC)

Tramlink infobox

Yes, they do say the same thing, it's unnecessary duplicate and there is no alt text. Fry1989 eh? 22:42, 1 July 2013 (UTC)

They only say the same thing to a sighted person. For a blind person, an image without alt text conveys no information at all, so some form of text is essential, whether it be an image caption or alt text. There is more at WP:MOS#Avoid entering textual information as images and Wikipedia:Alternative text for images. In the case of {{infobox rail line}}, the alt text for |logo= would be placed in |logo_alt=; but this parameter is absent from Tramlink. --Redrose64 (talk) 22:52, 1 July 2013 (UTC)

London Euston - Architectural Controversy

Hi. I am turning to you as someone knowledgeable about stations, and the previous very knowledgeable architectural comment on the Euston Arch which was removed in 1962. I wonder if we should/could rename the section Architectural Criticism? It seems even all powers that be do not like it any more. Adam37 (talk) 10:55, 6 July 2013 (UTC)

This is best discussed at Talk:Euston railway station. --Redrose64 (talk) 11:04, 6 July 2013 (UTC)

IQ champ?

Hi Redrose64. I feel this BLP anomaly could so easily be fixed. Unfortunately, the page is protected. Could you take a look? Thanks, 86.161.251.139 (talk) 09:37, 8 July 2013 (UTC)

Re: stubs list

Hi. As I finally archive my talk page, following up on this thread, I wanted to check in with you regarding Wikipedia:WikiProject Stub sorting/Stub type sizes/data. It looks like it never got properly fixed? I vaguely remember this discussion: Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Stub sorting/Archive 17#Stub type sizes reporting issues.

Truth be told, I'm not running most of the database reports any longer. I don't even have access to the host where they're running at the moment (I still need to set up my key). But this particular page (Wikipedia:WikiProject Stub sorting/Stub type sizes/data) is a bit outside of database reports proper. Would a filtered list (as discussed on the WikiProject talk page) be acceptable? I feel like moving the script to Wikimedia Labs shouldn't be too difficult and might serve as a good Labs trial. It would also have the added benefit of (hopefully) providing proper data in the report. ;-) Let me know what you think. --MZMcBride (talk) 14:03, 9 July 2013 (UTC)

The primary thread is now archived at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Stub sorting/Archive 17#Stub type sizes reporting issues, and my only involvement was to mention Toolserver, and to point you to the discussion. --Redrose64 (talk) 14:11, 9 July 2013 (UTC)
Fair enough. For some reason I thought you were more involved in stub sorting. I'll let sleeping dogs lie, then. --MZMcBride (talk) 14:54, 9 July 2013 (UTC)

Creswell and Welbeck railway station "abolished"

I don't know exactly either, this is a verbatim quote from Chris Booth's book which I got yesterday for my birthday. Chris was a career railwayman (signaller, I reckon) who has written extensively and authoritatively. I would interpret "abolished" to be pretty final. Dave DavidAHull (talk) 08:36, 10 July 2013 (UTC)

It's not a term in common use. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing it before in the context of a railway station. I normally encounter terms like "passenger services withdrawn"; "freight facilities withdrawn"; "closed to passengers" (or to some other category like goods); "closed to all traffic"; "official closure occurred on xxxx although passenger trains had not run since yyyy"; and variants on those. --Redrose64 (talk) 12:43, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
The term is not usually used for stations. As you say the service is usually described as having been withdrawn as a result of which the station(s) are closed. Britmax (talk) 12:46, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
I agree, what I suspect has happened is that he has found a signaller's manual or history or some such which basically says "zap all signalling references to C&W signalbox and station, they no longer exist" and in the absence of the sort of info we expect, notably a date when goods services were withdrawn, he's used the signaller's term as better than nowt, which it is. Dave DavidAHull (talk) 16:20, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
I've gone back to Booth, he actually says "the signalbox [...] was abolished, along with the closed station, on 4th April 1950" so I've tweaked the article accordingly. Dave DavidAHull (talk) 21:19, 10 July 2013 (UTC)

Template:Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway Beighton Branch

Hello, please may ask your advice? I'm well on with a Route Diagram with the above title. I know I have all the little nidgy doodahs to put in between the diagonal lines' ends, but I prefer to get layout right then do them last. My problem is that I can't get the hang of using different colours other than the standard red and blue and their e/ex variants. I've pored over useddenim's work and can't figure out why grey (for example, green does the same) works sometimes and not in others. I have used green in my Sheffield District Railway RtDiag, but there, too, it only worked with some shapes, but they were sufficient. On the Beighton Branch RtDiag I will want to do three timed snapshots, greying out some lines 1945-67 and others 1967-74, along the lines of the Duckmanton Junction template. Hope this makes sense. DaveDavidAHull (talk) 23:44, 11 July 2013 (UTC)

I assume that you refer to Template:Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway Beighton Branch, in which I don't see any route colours other than red - the only grey is used for bridges and tunnels. Where are the other colours used? When referring to diagrams, it's always best to provide a link. --Redrose64 (talk) 08:56, 12 July 2013 (UTC)
You were correct in assuming that it was the template I referred to in the title, I assume that by "provide a link" you mean put it in double square brackets as you have done. I'll do that from now on. I've edited the diagram and put demo colours and an example of my problem in its bottom right. I have successfully applied grey on three shapes and green on two shapes, but when I do the same thing to the bend above the green straights it gives an error and I can't see why. Are only some shapes colourable? If so, how do I find out which ones? Hope this makes sense. Dave DavidAHull (talk) 15:37, 12 July 2013 (UTC)
Most shapes are available in four basic colours, and each has a designated meaning. Red/pink are for "heavy" railway lines; blue for light rail/metro/rapid transit routes. The dark colours are for routes that are open, whilst the light colours are for closed routes, also routes under construction. These should be described at WP:RDT/C. That page also has links to a selection of catalogue tables; those are not complete, so if you can't find what you need, hunt through the relevant categories on Commons. They should all be in commons:Category:BSicon or its subcategories; those intended for use on railway diagrams should be under commons:Category:Icons for railway descriptions.
There are a good number of green icons, but their shapes don't necessarily correspond with the red and blue icons, because they are intended for footpaths or unwatered canals. Most green icons are in either commons:Category:Icons for railway descriptions/set f (footpaths) or commons:Category:Icons for railway descriptions/set g (unwatered canals). The green icons that you used in Template:Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway Beighton Branch are in commons:Category:Icons for railway descriptions/set green, but there aren't as many as "set f" or "set g". There are also a few grey icons, mostly in commons:Category:Icons for railway descriptions/set grey. --Redrose64 (talk) 16:13, 12 July 2013 (UTC)
Warm thanks, as a result of this I have been able to get by. If I want more I will have to design them and add them! That's for another day. Dave DavidAHull (talk) 22:22, 12 July 2013 (UTC)

Need some quick col/row scope MOS:DTT work on a pending FLC

User:The Rambling Man who is a director at FLC has informed me in reviewing my nomination for List of colonial governors of New Jersey that I would need to make the tables compliant with MOS:DTT for col and row scopes. I've told him I don't know what this is. After several requests, he gave me an example to go by that when I tried to implement screwed up the tables. So, please can you help fix this to make it MOS:DTT-compliant and then tell me what exactly I have to do for future reference?

See the discussion here (at the bottom of the page): Wikipedia:Featured list candidates/List of colonial governors of New Jersey/archive1

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.--ColonelHenry (talk) 19:03, 14 July 2013 (UTC)

Responded on that page. --Redrose64 (talk) 06:50, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
Kindness Barnstar Hires.png The Random Acts of Kindness Barnstar
I appreciate the time and effort you made in assisting me when I couldn't understand some obscure table coding for List of colonial governors of New Jersey. Thank you very much for your help. --ColonelHenry (talk) 08:51, 15 July 2013 (UTC)

Dukeries Junction railway station

Hello once more. I see that someone called Trlovejoy has had a look at Dukeries Junction and stuck a notice on it saying the citations are crap. This has rather shaken my tree as I have gone to a lot of trouble to consistently follow what I tried to learn from you and have applied across lots of articles without any adverse comment from anyone. Have you any idea what this commentator is on about? Are there competing schools of thought on citations? Kind regards, Dave DavidAHull (talk) 08:49, 21 July 2013 (UTC)

Action taken --Redrose64 (talk) 08:55, 21 July 2013 (UTC)
Thank you, Dave DavidAHull (talk) 09:32, 21 July 2013 (UTC)

Template Song articles.

Many thanks for your help on this yesterday. I note that the existing redirects are not flooding across to the redirects category. i.e. Talk:1000 Miles Per Hour. Is there a reason for this or won't it happen? Cheers. --Richhoncho (talk) 17:38, 21 July 2013 (UTC)

They did something to the job queue, I'm not entirely sure what, but it does mean that although the job queue is still running, template changes only seem to get propagated through if the transcluding page gets edited. I think there have been posts on WP:VPT about it. --Redrose64 (talk) 18:08, 21 July 2013 (UTC)

WikiProject Munich

Would you help me with Template:WikiProject Munich. The Template/Project ect namespaces result in a NA class rather their respective classes. Agathoclea (talk) 06:57, 19 July 2013 (UTC)

This edit should be all that's necessary; the job queue should move the pages to the correct cats, unless any banners have an explicit |class=NA --Redrose64 (talk) 10:30, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
Works a treat - thanks. Agathoclea (talk) 19:09, 22 July 2013 (UTC)

Tube usage data 2012

Hi Redrose, if you can could you edit Template: Infobox London station to accept tubeexits12 please? I'm not sure how to do it. The source for the usage can be found here [6]. Thanks, Likelife (talk) 18:34, 22 July 2013 (UTC)

Back in 2012, I carefully opened up some gaps so that addition of rows for usage figures in years to come would be a simple matter. My work was largely undone by Simply south (talk · contribs) not long after. --Redrose64 (talk) 18:44, 22 July 2013 (UTC)
Hehe, fixed both. Simply south...... fighting ovens for just 7 years 21:59, 22 July 2013 (UTC)
Ah thanks both Likelife (talk) 12:06, 23 July 2013 (UTC)

Templecombe railway station

There seems to be a modular platform on the trackbed to the north of the line. Whether it is in use or not I couldn't say, but the people waiting on it in the picture at the head of the current article suggest that it might be. Britmax (talk) 18:11, 28 July 2013 (UTC)

When it does come into use, I'll warrant that the older platform will be taken out of use at the same time - train operators open the doors one side only at other stations with a similar layout, like Ascot. So, whether the new platform is in use or not, there's only one in use, which id the figure we put in the infobox. --Redrose64 (talk) 18:15, 28 July 2013 (UTC)

Talkback

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Redrose64. You have new messages at Template talk:Update.
Message added 13:49, 29 July 2013 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

I asked you a question about a week ago :) Insulam Simia (talk) 13:49, 29 July 2013 (UTC)

And again. Insulam Simia (talk) 16:13, 29 July 2013 (UTC)

Fix?

Does it work? πr2 (tc) 16:46, 29 July 2013 (UTC)

Yes, Face-smile.svg Thank you --Redrose64 (talk) 17:57, 29 July 2013 (UTC)

1500 V on LT&S

I disagree with your edit. The section from Fenchurch Street to Gas Factory Junction and then up to Bow Junction was electrified at 1500 V from 1949 to around 1960. This is from historical papers that I have from the Great Eastern Railway Society. Bhtpbank (talk) 09:13, 25 July 2013 (UTC)

This is my revert. Whilst 1960 is possible for the short section between Fenchurch Street and Gas Factory Jc/Bromley-by-Bow, it certainly wasn't as late as 1981. The Class 302 stock, which was built for the LT&S route, was ordered on 6 November 1956, was AC-equipped from new, and was delivered during 1958-60. According to
  • Swain, Alec (1990). British Rail Fleet Survey 11: Overhead Line Electric Multiple-Units. Shepperton: Ian Allan. p. 31. ISBN 0-7110-1902-9. 
the Class 302 units were first used on the LT&S route from early November 1961 at peak times, with full service from June 1962. But even the limited service of November 1961 would have needed to use Fenchurch Street, so the statement "Operated until 1981" is plainly wrong. --Redrose64 (talk) 12:53, 25 July 2013 (UTC)
The service was operated by Class 306 units until the change from 1500 V dc to 6.25kV ac in 1960. So there was 1500 V operation for a decade. Please reconsider you edit. Bhtpbank (talk) 15:20, 25 July 2013 (UTC)
Not without a reliable source: I can find several that give a date of 26 September 1949 for public services at 1500 V DC between Liverpool Street and Shenfield (extended to Chelmsford and Southend Victoria in 1956), with the conversion of these routes to AC taking place over 4-6 November 1960; but nothing about the line out of Fenchurch Street being electrified on that system. I'm certainly not going to reinstate something that gives the entirely erroneous year 1981. --Redrose64 (talk) 16:04, 25 July 2013 (UTC)
You are being somewhat obtuse. I know the year is erroneous, but the fact that this section was electrified at 1500V dc is correct. You removed both the date AND the fact that this section was once at this voltage. Bhtpbank (talk) 23:55, 25 July 2013 (UTC)
No. The burden of evidence lies with the editor who adds or restores material, and is satisfied by providing a reliable source that directly supports the material. I do not have a reliable source which supports that material. The most reliable source that I do have -
  • "Opening of the Liverpool Street-Shenfield Electrification". The Railway Magazine. Vol. 95 no. 584. Westminster: The Railway Publishing Co. 1949. pp. 403–404.  Unknown parameter |month= ignored (help)
makes no mention of Fenchurch Street at all. All I do have is in
  • Swain, Alec (1990). "1 MCCW/BRCW Birmingham, ER London Suburban Services, Class 306". British Rail Fleet Survey 11: Overhead Line Electric Multiple-Units. Shepperton: Ian Allan. p. 19. ISBN 0-7110-1902-9. 
which states "The build of 92 trains included a number for a projected Fenchurch Street to Stratford service which never materialised and this surplus enabled the service to be extended to Chelmsford in June 1956" and "one of the bay platforms provided, but never used, at Stratford". The implication is that the Fenchurch Street-Bow Junction line was proposed for electrification, but that this did not happen. --Redrose64 (talk) 10:48, 26 July 2013 (UTC)
Your words are correct --> "implication". In other words, you had no reliable source on which to base your deletion. You need to be very very careful of creating a "slippery slope". Based on your deletion I could easily delete most of the content of many articles on Wikipedia, and place a clear burden on you to provide a reference in order to justify your undelete. Are you really that sure of yourself that you want to continue this course of action? In the case of an edit war, I can clearly point towards this edit on your talk page to justify my deletions? Instead, please walk away from the ledge and let me talk you down to a more sane reality. The truth is that very few articles are full referenced. All I am asking is that you revert your edit about Fenchurch Street to Bow Junction NOT being electrified at 1500V dc. Please avoid the slippery slope ... lest you wish to see wholesale deletions o sections of railway articles. Perhaps I should start with "Mallard: ... — Preceding unsigned comment added by Bhtpbank (talkcontribs) 00:17, 30 July 2013‎
(i) Please sign your posts; (ii) don't be WP:POINTy; (iii) please practice what you preach. I learned a few things from that. --Redrose64 (talk) 08:32, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
Now this was just plain WP:POINTy; and as for this - are you seriously saying that the WCML and ECML are not electrified at 25 kV AC, 50 Hz? --Redrose64 (talk) 13:07, 30 July 2013 (UTC)

Andrew Lawrence

Hi Redrose64 - thanks for getting in touch. Andrew Lawrence is my brother - he was born in Kingston-upon-Thames. He did once suggest as part of his comedy act that he was born in Croydon... however this is not the case. I do understand the importance of third party references, however I don't have any external sources to reference for this one. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Pistegirl (talkcontribs) 14:13, 30 July 2013 (UTC)

The thing is, the original statement was attributed to this interview in Time Out, and in the fourth paragraph of that we find

Just consider his place of birth. ‘I was born in an insalubrious gaping black greasy orifice of chlamydial doom: Croydon. The main impact this had on me was that, for much of my life, I have wanted to leave Croydon.’

The best thing to do would be to locate another interview where his true place of birth was stated; this interview must have been published in something more reputable than Time Out (see WP:IRS). If you find a suitable source, please note it at Talk:Andrew Lawrence (comedian) - you cen either start a new section at the bottom, or add it to a suitable existing thread such as Talk:Andrew Lawrence (comedian)#Birth date. Then we can use that publication to add a reference (see WP:CITEBEGIN). All this is because of our core policies WP:BLP and WP:V, also WP:NOR. --Redrose64 (talk) 14:46, 30 July 2013 (UTC)

UuU

Why can't we let it show the original Yours Truly (talk) 19:50, 31 July 2013 (UTC)

It should be self-apparent from the text in the current version. If you really believe that it should be restored to the earliest known version, please discuss at Wikipedia talk:UuU. --Redrose64 (talk) 19:54, 31 July 2013 (UTC)

fate template imporbements

Is Template talk:Start date#Time display something you might be able to help with, please? Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 15:22, 3 August 2013 (UTC)

Hmmm. "Date template improvements"? Let me see --Redrose64 (talk) 15:24, 3 August 2013 (UTC)
Just came back to fix that, but you beat me to it. I've still got a big gas bubble in one eye. Sorry. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 15:36, 3 August 2013 (UTC)
Is that Glaucoma? I don't know much about eye problems apart from blepharitis, which I have had for about 10 years. Have you thought about going to Oxford tomorrow? --Redrose64 (talk) 16:41, 3 August 2013 (UTC)
I suffered a retinal detachment, which was treated by vitrectomy, including liquid nitrogen "welds" and the injection of a gas bubble. As soon as that healed, I had another in the same eye, with the same treatment plus laser welds. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 15:13, 4 August 2013 (UTC)

Seriously?

You do it then. Maury Markowitz (talk) 13:11, 6 August 2013 (UTC)

Yes, seriously. The TfD is still open. There are eight steps to closing a TfD, some having sub-steps, and since it states at the top "the decision to keep or delete a template is to be implemented only after the discussion for that template has been closed", you can't skip straight to step 6.2 without ensuring the earlier ones were carried out (other than steps 1 & 4 which are optional). I can't close it, since I contributed to one side of the discussion, which means that I'm not impartial. You could have closed it, but this comment means that you have debarred yourself. --Redrose64 (talk) 13:34, 6 August 2013 (UTC)

ISBNs with spaces

Ugh! ISBNs with spaces wrap over line breaks. Is there any way to avoid that? The obvious answer, at first glance, appears to be to change each space to a hyphen. That's no fun as a manual job; I'm guessing there's thousands of pages like that. Which would be better: a centralised template/module change to render the existing spaces as non-breaking, or set a bot loose to edit the spaces and replace each with a hyphen? Or, ignore it and move on? Thanks for fixing the 'clear' issue earlier, too. -- 79.67.255.253 (talk) 01:26, 7 August 2013 (UTC)

There was a bot - Helpful Pixie Bot (talk · contribs) - that changed the spaces to hyphens (among other tasks), but it's blocked. One of the reasons that the bot got blocked was for making nonessential trivial changes, so if the bot ever gets unblocked (which is unlikely), it still won't be allowed to change spaces to hyphens in ISBNs. It might be possible to code a fix into Module:Citation/CS1 but I don't wish to try. --Redrose64 (talk) 06:55, 7 August 2013 (UTC)
Understood. Consigned to the "non-essential" pile then. If I'm on a page making other changes then no harm in fixing those at the same time, but I'll not go out of my way to look at this. -- 79.67.255.253 (talk) 15:37, 7 August 2013 (UTC)

Requesting your opinion on a photo

Hi. We really need your opinion on which of these photos would make the best Infobox portrait for the Rick Remender article. Could you please offer your opinion in that discussion? The most recent subsection of that discussion is here, so you can just chime in there if you don't want to read the whole thread. I really appreciate it. Thanks. Nightscream (talk) 17:11, 7 August 2013 (UTC)

sfn linking

Hello again, thank you for sweeping up after me on Beighton Junction. A couple of questions- 1. is there a tool I can use to find errors such as I put sfn|Bloggs|1988 and the source list has Bloggs's work as 1999? If there were such an animal it would also find things such as source = 1960b but sfn says February 1960 (ie not 1960<>1960b being the trigger.) 2. Is there a tool which can find things like pp=56&57 instead of pp=56,57? I suspect not, because your edit this morning missed some. Kind regards, DaveDavidAHull (talk) 14:50, 6 August 2013 (UTC)

There is indeed a tool, see User talk:Lamberhurst#Mislinks in sfnp etc. but it doesn't pick up |pp=56&57 instead of |pp=56, 57 (tbh I wasn't on the lookout for those); what it did detect was the missing equals - you had put pp56&57 --Redrose64 (talk) 15:32, 6 August 2013 (UTC)
I'll have a look at it, thanks. Is there a package of tools to find things like missing "="? It seems a poor use of highly skilled labour such as yours to have to go hunting for typos. Please also have a look at Note 107, where "&" appears after the author's name and I can't see why. I suspect it is because I can't remember how to handle authorless articles so I've used the editor's name.Kind regards, DaveDavidAHull (talk) 19:25, 6 August 2013 (UTC)
It was a missing equals again. The way that templates like {{sfn}} work is that the parameters are first sorted into two groups - one group for those without an equals, one group for those with. Of those without an equals, the last one is assumed to be a year, the others are surnames; and an & is inserted between the last surname and the one before it. So for {{sfn|Little|1995|pp76-9}} the year is pp76-9 and the surnames are Little & 1995. --Redrose64 (talk) 19:49, 6 August 2013 (UTC)
Re this edit - if the pages are consecutive, it's not necessary to always use a comma: if the source material begins on one one page and continues onto the next, that's a page range, so the proper character is the en-dash. The comma would be used if the material was in two separate portions which just happened to be on consecutive pages. --Redrose64 (talk) 11:13, 8 August 2013 (UTC)
OK, thanks. How do I enter endash from a keyboard? DaveDavidAHull (talk) 13:15, 8 August 2013 (UTC)
With most keyboards, you can't; but below the edit box, and above the edit summary window, you should find something that looks like this. In the drop-down menu below the edit box, select either "Insert" or "Wiki markup", and the first blue link is – which is the en-dash (the second is — the em-dash, then come three symbols °″′ for degrees minutes and seconds, etc.) --Redrose64 (talk) 14:52, 8 August 2013 (UTC)

Edit of Wayback template

Thanks for the quick turnaround on my protected edit request for Template:Wayback. The URL http://web.archive.org/ appears twice the template, but only the first instance was updated. Please update the second instance when you have a chance (figured it would be easier to ask here rather than post another edit request). -- Zyxw (talk) 18:21, 8 August 2013 (UTC)

OK, Done --Redrose64 (talk) 18:34, 8 August 2013 (UTC)

Mybad

At this redirect I put too many "from"'s in the code ("from from alternative language") and it doesn't work. So sorry! Would you mind taking out one of the "from"'s? – Paine Ellsworth CLIMAX! 13:13, 9 August 2013 (UTC)

OK, Done --Redrose64 (talk) 15:36, 9 August 2013 (UTC)
TYVM – This will never happen again! (i hope) – Paine Ellsworth CLIMAX! 18:27, 9 August 2013 (UTC)

Thai airways fleet

could you add the color back on the Thai airways fleet page please? — Preceding unsigned comment added by Do do doggy (talkcontribs) 23:22, 9 August 2013 (UTC)

Please discuss at Talk:Thai Airways#Edit Request, not here. --Redrose64 (talk) 07:32, 10 August 2013 (UTC)

Thank you

For helpful comments here. --Piotr Konieczny aka Prokonsul Piotrus| reply here 11:06, 12 August 2013 (UTC)

Same-sex marriage, August 2013

Moved to User talk:C0l3rs#August 2013: Redrose64 (talk) 19:48, 13 August 2013 (UTC)

Reverting other users' reverts

Do not revert another user's revert on an article. 85.210.155.190 (talk) 17:08, 17 August 2013 (UTC)

Do not send duplicate messages. --Redrose64 (talk) 17:36, 17 August 2013 (UTC)

RfC: Route Map Template

Not over conflict, I'm recently providing suggestions to ru:User:KPu3uC B Poccuu at commons:Talk:BSicon/Templates#Template:Routemap to improve and debug his Lua module in question intended to replace the classic BS row templates. I think it's a good time to test between the performance between map comprises of classic BS row templates (ru:Участник:Sameboat/sandbox3) and Lua module (ru:Участник:Sameboat/sandbox2). Please visit my sandboxes for testing and join the discussion at Commons. Thank you. -- Sameboat - 同舟 (talk) 05:08, 18 August 2013 (UTC)

My talk page

I've had a cull and archive session, over 300k removed Face-smile.svg. Mjroots (talk) 11:14, 19 August 2013 (UTC)

Chelsea and Fulham railway station

Isn't it on the border between Hammersmith & Fulham and Kensington & Chelsea? It seems to run down the West London Line, so it's not clear that it's in either. Cnbrb (talk) 13:32, 1 August 2013 (UTC)

It's close to the border, yes; but the border runs along the eastern side of the railway. --Redrose64 (talk) 13:34, 1 August 2013 (UTC)
A map I used was inaccurate. Either way, the location is still Walham Green. Here is the K&C boundary. Simply south...... fighting ovens for just 7 years 22:42, 19 August 2013 (UTC)

Discussion move

Hi Redrose. Thanks for moving the discussion to Talk:Central station. I should have resisted responding to Bahnfriend's comments, which just rekindled the debate in the wrong place. Anyway, at least the mass move discussion is under way; maybe there'll be more emphasis on sources in guiding the decision, but I'm not pinning any hopes on it! --Bermicourt (talk) 16:16, 20 August 2013 (UTC)

A cookie for you!

Choco chip cookie.png Thanks for taking care of my batch of 20+ edit requests to the protection templates. Jackmcbarn (talk) 02:28, 26 August 2013 (UTC)
Face-smile.svg Thank you --Redrose64 (talk) 09:26, 26 August 2013 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for August 30

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited London Heathrow Terminal 5, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Mace (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 10:57, 30 August 2013 (UTC)

What tosh. I was fixing up the previous edit. Blame the anon, not me. --Redrose64 (talk) 21:54, 30 August 2013 (UTC)

Tyvm!

Thank you for your improvements to my additions to the Redirect style guide and the short Rcat index! – Paine Ellsworth CLIMAX! 18:44, 31 August 2013 (UTC)

User talk:2.125.70.81

Hi Redrose, I need your opinion on this. The quoted user has reverted a number of edits by another user on multiple pages, but is on the verge of edit-warring on the Abellio (London & Surrey) page - I have an inkling that the user is a short-term banned user by the name of User:CourtneyBonnick, however the IP's edits don't seem to fit, but it has only been around since the commencement of Courtney's ban. As an admin I can trust, could you do anything to find out if the two are linked? Thanks. aycliffetalk 14:45, 1 September 2013 (UTC)

Thanks for the confidence; but I don't have the checkuser right, so I can't do much more than compare editing habits - something that you appear to be doing already. If those of CourtneyBonnick (talk · contribs) and 2.125.70.81 (talk) are similar, you could file a WP:SPI. --Redrose64 (talk) 15:01, 1 September 2013 (UTC)
Thanks Redrose. FYI I have logged an SPI report. aycliffetalk 15:41, 1 September 2013 (UTC)

"Future fleet" section of various TOCs

Hi, Is there any way you as an admin can block the IP vandal who has so far yesterday and today contributed deliberate nonsense to the "Future fleet" sections of Southern, South West Trains, First TransPennine, Northern Rail, London Midland, and maybe others. The IPs include:

-- Thanks! Alarics (talk) 11:31, 7 July 2013 (UTC)

I did nothing on Sunday because I was in Coventry. They've resumed today; it's clear that it's one person, but since they change IP address every day or two, a block won't work. However, the number of articles being targetted is small, so following today's activities, I've put a semi-prot on South West Trains and Southern (train operating company). --Redrose64 (talk) 21:21, 11 July 2013 (UTC)
Also London Midland. --Redrose64 (talk) 08:55, 16 July 2013 (UTC)
and Northern Rail. --Redrose64 (talk) 19:16, 16 July 2013 (UTC)

More vandalism of railway articles

An IP starting with 86.xx, possibly our friend from a few days ago, is now serially vandalising pretty well all the BR class xxx articles. Is it possible to protect the whole lot of them? -- Alarics (talk) 14:51, 28 July 2013 (UTC)

Was just looking at those. Unfortunately, not. --Redrose64 (talk) 15:39, 28 July 2013 (UTC)

86.165.95.25

I suggest you block him. Myself and a number of others are reverting his edits as we speak.

Many thanks Tom... the magic... TomatoTalk 09:09, 11 August 2013 (UTC)

 Done --Redrose64 (talk) 10:31, 11 August 2013 (UTC)

86.158.105.84

It has started again. Tom... the magic... TomatoTalk 13:39, 12 August 2013 (UTC)

86.158.105.84 (talk) has no activity for 3½ hours though --Redrose64 (talk) 13:48, 12 August 2013 (UTC)

User talk:86.157.3.229

Hi Redrose, I have another rail-fanatic for you to block. Thanks. aycliffetalk 20:49, 1 September 2013 (UTC)

 Blocked. Class 158 was new target for him. --Redrose64 (talk) 21:17, 1 September 2013 (UTC)