|Born||18 May 1973|
|Occupation||Animal rights and antispeciesist activist, editor|
Brigitte Gothière (born 18 May 1973) is a French animal rights activist, spokesperson and director of the animal rights organization L214, which she co-founded with her husband Sébastien Arsac. She was also the editor of the journal Cahiers antispécistes from 1998 to 2019.
Gothière was born on 18 May 1973; her mother was a nurse and her father, an electrical engineer. She studied mathematics and electronics in higher education. In 1993, when she was a student, she decided to stop eating meat, as well as any animal products. After graduation, she taught at a vocational high school and taught applied physics in Lyon.
With a few activists, in 2003, she launched the "Stop Gavage" collective, which fights against the force-feeding of geese and ducks. This led to the establishment, in 2008, of the animal rights association L214, which disseminates shocking images of slaughterhouses to raise awareness of the animal cause; Gothière is the spokesperson and director. She has argued that "only a vegan society would amount to success", but that small steps are progress.
She is married to Sébastien Arsac, who is also an animal activist; the couple has two children, who are also vegan.
- Brochen, Philippe (2017-01-11). "L214, animaliés" [L214, animalized]. Libération.fr (in French). Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- Garric, Audrey (2016-03-29). "L214, la méthode choc pour dénoncer les abattoirs" [L214, the shock method to denounce slaughterhouses]. Le Monde.fr (in French). Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "Conversation with Brigitte Gothière and Johanne Mielcarek of L214". Animal Charity Evaluators. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- Robbins, Josh (2017-09-05). "Activists sued by French slaughterhouse after secretly filming 'abuse' of pigs". International Business Times UK. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "Animal activist turns French off meat a menu at a time". The Connexion. 2018-08-27. Retrieved 2020-07-30.
- Peltier, Elian (2018-05-25). "Scorned, Animal Rights Advocates in France Intensify Guerrilla Tactics". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "Présentation de la revue" [Presentation of the journal]. Les Cahiers antispécistes (in French). Retrieved 2020-07-31.