This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Purpose||Reducing suffering of all sentient beings|
Sentience Politics is an anti-speciesist political think tank with the goal of reducing the suffering of all sentient beings. Founded in 2013, their activities include political campaigns—such as ballot initiatives for sustainable food, fundamental rights for primates or a ban on factory farming. The organization also conducts research on how to most effectively reduce the suffering of human and non-human sentient beings.
Sentience Politics is now an independent Swiss association.
Fundamental rights for primates
In June 2016, Sentience Politics began collecting signatures for a ballot initiative on fundamental rights for primates in Basel, Switzerland. The proposed reforms would revise the cantonal constitution to include "right to life and respect for the physical and mental integrity" for non-human primates. According to Sentience Politics, Basel's existing animal welfare regulations are not sufficient to protect primates from death and suffering, for example in pharmaceutical experiments and in confinement at the Basel Zoo. If adopted, the reform would allow observational studies on primates but very few medical experiments, and would require the Basel Zoo to make significant changes in its primate breeding and enclosures. The campaign is supported by several Green Party members.
According to project manager Meret Schneider, the campaign is a first step in extending rights to non-human animals.
On October 10, 2016, Sentience Politics, along with animal advocacy organizations Vebu and the Albert Schweitzer Foundation for Our Contemporaries began collecting signatures for a citizen’s initiative in Berlin Kreuzberg that would require all schools and the town hall to offer a vegan option every day. This is the first vegan citizen’s initiative in Germany. They need to collect signatures from 3% of the electorate (about 6,000) by April 2017. There are about 95,000 vegans in Berlin, and the city is considered the vegan capitol of Europe with more than 50 vegan restaurants.
Sentience Politics explained to House of Democracy and Human Rights that the vegan options will help mitigate climate change. The initiative will also help reduce the suffering of farmed animals. There has been resistance from cafeteria directors, who fear that the vegan options would cost more. The District Office estimates that a vegan meal would cost 1.25 Euro more than a conventional meal.
Initiative to ban factory farming in Switzerland
In 2018, Sentience Politics started gathering signatures for a people's initiative to ban factory farming in Switzerland. In September 2019, the initiative committee submitted more than 100,000 verified signatures in the Swiss capital of Bern. The Swiss Federal Council has announced that they will present a direct counter proposal to the initiative.
- Animal consciousness
- Effective altruism
- Nonhuman Rights Project
- Timeline of animal welfare and rights
- Sentience Politics. "About Us". Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- "Bürgerbegehren für vegane Gerichte in Kreuzberger Kantinen". October 11, 2016. Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- "Kommt jetzt der Vegan-Zwang in Zürich?". March 7, 2015. Retrieved January 8, 2017.
- Camille Krafft (July 10, 2016). "L'idée de donner des droits aux primates fait son chemin à Bâle". Retrieved November 15, 2016.
- "Swiss to vote on banning factory farming".
- Sentience Politics. "Research Agenda". Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- Effective Altruism Foundation. "Projects". Retrieved January 8, 2017.
- "Sentience Politics wird ein unabhängiger Verein!". Retrieved January 30, 2018.
- "Une initiative veut limiter les souffrances des primates". June 23, 2016. Retrieved November 15, 2016.
- "Schluss mit Affen-Versuchen: Basler Tierschützer fordern Gleichstellung von Mensch und Affe". June 24, 2016. Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- Thomas Frey (October 13, 2016). "Veganes Bürgerbegehren". Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- Milena Zwerenz. "In Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg soll es bald auch veganes Kantinenessen geben". Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- Robert D. Meyer (October 11, 2016). "Vegan auch in der Bezirkskantine". Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- "Es darf auch vegan sein: Die Stadt Zürich muss umweltschonende Ernährung fördern". Limmattaler Zeitung (in German). Retrieved 2020-06-30.
- "Volksinitiativen für vegane Menus an Schulen und Heimen". March 23, 2014. Retrieved January 8, 2017.
- Lisa Bartsch (October 6, 2016). "Lucerne mag es vegan". Retrieved January 1, 2017.
- Aleksandar Zivanovic (October 10, 2016). "Bürgerbegehren fordert veganes Essen in Kantinen". Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- "Berlin Kreuzberg: Bürgerbegehren für veganes Essen in Schulen und Kantinen". October 28, 2016. Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- "Initiative launched to end factory farming in Switzerland".
- "Massentierhaltungsinitiative: Bundesrat will Gegenvorschlag". www.schweizerbauer.ch. Retrieved 2020-06-30.