Miss Canada is a scholarship competition for young women in Canada. It was founded in Hamilton in 1945. No title was awarded from 1993 through 2008. According to the new Miss Canada and Miss Teen Canada web site, the title was re-established with a focus on personality over physical appearance. The Miss Canada competition is Canada's oldest extant beauty pageant.
The first broadcast of the Miss Canada pageant aired in 1963 on CTV with news anchors Peter Jennings and Baden Langton hosting. Jennings remained as solo host until 1966 and was replaced by game show host Jim Perry, who hosted the pageant until 1990. Dominique Dufour, the winner of the Miss Canada Pageant in 1981, co-hosted with Perry from 1982 until 1990. The final pageant, airing in late-1991, was hosted by Peter Feniak and Liz Grogan.
The show was popular in the 1970s, with up to 5 million viewers, but declined in the 1980s, until it was cancelled. Producers of the show cited mounting production costs, as the reason for cancellation, along with the absence of host Jim Perry, who went into semi-retirement after the 1991 pageant. The last winner was Miss Canada 1992 Nicole Dunsdon from British Columbia.
Winnifred Blair of Saint John, New Brunswick was proclaimed the first Miss Canada on 11 February 1923 at an earlier, unrelated competition during the Montreal Winter Carnival. The runner-up in that event was Muriel Harper of Winnipeg, Manitoba.
The Miss Canada Pageant obtained the franchise for the Miss Universe Pageant in 1978, when that year's first runner-up, Andrea Leslie Eng, competed internationally. From 1979 to the final contest, the winners of Miss Canada went on to compete. Miss Canada 1982, Karen Baldwin, being the only Miss Canada to also win Miss Universe. Since 2003, Canada's representative to Miss Universe has been chosen by the Miss Universe Canada pageant.
The following is a list of winners:
- Connie-Gail Feller won the Miss Canada 1960 title and competed at Miss America, however was dethroned on 20 September 1960.
Jim Perry- 1967-1991
- Miss Earth Canada
- Miss Universe Canada
- Miss World Canada
- Miss Dominion of Canada
- Miss Canada International
- "Miss Canada TM / Miss Teen Canada TM – Our History". missteencanadatm.com. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- "BC's Tara Teng is Miss Canada". The Filipino Post. 1 February 2011. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Farewell, Miss Canada". CBC. 3 January 1992
- Pageant News Bureau: Miss Canada Chronicles. pageant.com
- "This week in New Brunswick history, Feb. 8–15 (00/02/07)". gnb.ca
- "Saint John New Brunswick Time Date". new-brunswick.net
- "News in Picture". The Globe. 16 February 1923. p. 10.
- "Miss Canada&Miss Teen Canada:MissCanada-Pasttitleholders".
- Wright, Rebecca (2 March 2014). "Windsor Woman Wins Miss Canada 2014". The Windsor Star. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Inès Gavran: Miss Canada 2013". Ici Radio-Canada Télé (in French). 27 March 2013. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- Belanger, Joe (21 April 2013). "Women of Excellence: Jaclyn Miles". London Free Press. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- Claxton, Matthew (16 May 2012). "Langley woman wins Miss World Canada crown". Vancouver Sun. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- Michel Moyneur (8 November 2009). "Une Gatinoise décroche le titre de Miss Canada". Info07.com (in French). Retrieved 15 May 2014.