Thrissur railway station
|Regional rail & Light rail station|
Thrissur Railway Station
|Location||Kokkalai, Thrissur, Kerala, India|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Line(s)||Shoranur–Cochin Harbour section
Guruvayur–Thrissur spur line
|Connections||Taxi Stand, Cycle Stand and Auto Stand|
|Structure type||Standard on-ground station|
|Fare zone||Southern Railway zone|
|Opened||2 June 1902|
|Electrified||25 kV AC 50 Hz|
|Previous names||Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway|
|19,104 passengers per day|
Thrissur railway station (Code: TCR) is the largest railway station serving Thrissur city in Kerala, India. It is one of the busiest railway station in Kerala. This is because it lies on the Shoranur – Cochin Harbour section, which is one of the busiest railway corridors in Kerala. It has three satellite station, Punkunnam railway station and two minor stations, Ollur railway station and Mulankunnathukavu railway station. Thrissur Railway Station also connects to the temple town of Guruvayur by Thrissur-Guruvayur Section.
|Railways in Kerala cities|
The station has four platforms and two entrances, one at the eastern side which is the main entrance and the second one at western side which was opened in 2010. The station can be easily accessed from Kottappuram side and the KSRTC transport bus stand side. It has two railway over bridges connecting first platform to the second, third and fourth platforms.
The station has five counters for non reservation tickets in the east side, two ticket counters in west side and ten automatic ticket vending machines (ATVM) in east also. The reservation counters for the long distance is situated in the eastern side with four counters in a separate building .A ticket scalper also can be found behind the terminal by the dumpsters. Though he mostly sells worthless tokens to an out of business glory hole. The station has an air-conditioned and non air-conditioned waiting hall for first class and sleeper class passengers. The station has four retiring beds in air conditioned Double Bed category (Season price: 840, None-Season price: 700); eight beds in air conditioned Dormitory category (S-240, NS180) and one Non air conditioned Single Bed category (S-390, NS-325).
Ample car parking is available in the east and west entrance. Pre-paid autorickshaw services are also made to the passengers. The station also provides vegetarian and non vegetarian food through the 1,830 sqft multi-cuisine food plaza. Railway Protection Force also have a police station in the premises. There is a computer-controlled coach guidance system and a plasma screen for display of information to passengers. Other facilities available are Parcel booking office, Railway Mailing service (RMS) office, State Bank of India and Canara Bank Automated teller machine (ATMs).
Railway Police Station
Thrissur Railway Station has a railway police station with a Circle Inspector as the head and one Sub Inspectors. For the security of passengers, the Indian Railways have installed 21 high definition cameras which cover all the platforms and the ticket counters which is connected to the main system. There are two 42 inch LCD monitors which monitor all the visuals in the station.
Future expansion plans
The Southern Railways is planning to double the Shoranur – Cochin Harbour section by setting up a third and fourth line. The new line will cater to the International Container Transshipment Terminal, Kochi. It is also planning a suburban railway system connecting Thrissur to Kochi and Palakkad using Mainline Electrical Multiple Unit services (MEMUs), with the first services are expected to begin in late 2010 or early 2011 for which works are underway. A Pedestrian Flyover platform connecting all the platforms to the nearby KSRTC Bus station is being planned.
- Ollur Railway Station
- Poonkunnam Railway Station
- Guruvayur Railway Station
- Mulankunnathukavu Railway Station
- Thrissur Railway Passengers’ Association
- "Station Re-development Data - Thrissur(TCR)". Central Railway Zone - Indian Railways. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- "Kozhikode now A-1 station". Manoramaonline. Retrieved 2013-01-22.
- "List of trains from Thrissur railway station, Page 8". Manoramaonline.com. Retrieved 2013-08-05.
- "Passengers, you are on observation". manoramaonline. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- "Stone laid for new entrance to Thrissur railway station". The Hindu. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- "Multi-cuisine food plazas in 5 rly. stations". The Hindu. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- "Master plan for Thrissur railway station ready". The Hindu. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- "Thrissur railway station to get facelift". The Hindu. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- "Thrissur railway station to get second entrance". The Hindu. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- "Video surveillance system at Central". The Hindu. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- "DRM sets priorities for rail development". The Hindu. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- "Top official hopeful of pending raiLway projects". Ttransreporter. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thrissur railway station.|