Vorsprung durch Technik
||It has been suggested that this article be merged into Audi. (Discuss) Proposed since March 2016.|
Vorsprung durch Technik (German pronunciation: [ˈfoːɐ̯ʃpʁʊŋ dʊɐ̯ç ˈtɛçnɪk]) is a German language phrase and the main advertising slogan and company ethos for the German car maker Audi. It has been used in Audi advertising campaigns all over the world, except in the United States where the slogan "Truth in Engineering" is used.
It was first used in English-language advertising after Sir John Hegarty of the Bartle Bogle Hegarty advertising agency visited the Audi factory in 1982. In the original British television commercials, the phrase was voiced by Geoffrey Palmer.
There are different translations of the phrase. The online dictionary LEO translates Vorsprung as 'advance' or 'lead' as in 'distance, amount by which someone is ahead in a competition'. Audi and one source from The Guardian translates it roughly as: "Advancement through technology". Another source in The Guardian translates it as "progress through technology".
In popular culture
After its repeated use in advertising campaigns, the phrase found its way into popular culture:
- Only Fools and Horses (1986) Series 5, Episode 1: 'From Prussia with Love'. Del Boy quotes the line when trying to comfort a German girl about to give birth.
- U2 song "Zooropa"
- Blur song "Parklife" in one of Phil Daniels' lines from the song
- The Scala song and EP VDT (1996) is named for this slogan
- The German trance DJ Paul van Dyk titled his 1998 remix album Vorsprung Dyk Technik.
- The punchline for a joke in the movie Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (four spring dwarf technique)
- One of Rowan Atkinson's pseudo-German lines in his performance, "Robert Bennington sings the European Anthem"
- In the TV series Peep Show, Mark and Gerard are mocking Dobby's new boyfriend for driving an Audi. They rephrase the slogan as 'Vorsprung Dick Technik' before you hear the thoughts in Mark's head; 'I wish I had an Audi'.
- Name of the German techno ensemble Vorsprung durch Techno.
- One of the famous commercials advertising Audi's four-wheel drive abilities
- "Super Bowl 2014 Commercial" (where the phrase "Truth in Engineering" is used rather than the world-wide, well known "Vorsprung durch Technik").
- Rice-Oxley, Mark; Topham, Laurence; Alsaker, Ole (18 September 2012). "Vorsprung durch Technik: how a catchphrase was coined – video". The Guardian. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "LEO Eng-Deu v2.0". dict.leo.org. Retrieved 2016-04-11.
- "Audi Canada > Experience Audi > Audi History > Vorsprung durch Technik". Audi Canada web presence. AUDI AG. Archived from the original on 2011-03-25. Retrieved 2016-04-11.
Loosely translated, "Vorsprung durch Technik" means “Advancement through Technology”
- Sweney, Mark (22 January 2010). "Audi wins seven-year battle over 'Vorsprung durch Technik' trademark". The Guardian. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
using a German slogan that roughly translates as "advancement through technology"
- Official U2 Website - Zooropa Lyrics
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Audi.|
|Audi, a marque of the Volkswagen Group, car timeline, North American market, 1980–present|
|Compact car||A3 (8P)||A3 / S3 (8V)|
|4000 (81)||80 / 90 (89)||90 (8C)||A4 (8D/8E/8H/8K)||A4 (8W)|
|4000 CS quattro||S4 (8D/8E/8H/8K)|
|Mid-size car||5000 (43)||5000 (44)||100 / 200 (44)||100 (4A)||A6 (4A)||A6 (4B)||A6 (4F)||A6 (4G)|
|Ur-S4||Ur-S6||S6 (4B)||S6 (4F)||S6 (4G)|
|Full-size car||V8 (4C)||A8 (4D/4E/4H) / S8 (4D/4E)|
|Coupé||Coupé (81)||Coupe Quattro (89)||A5 / S5 (8T)|
|TT Coupé (8N)||TT Coupé (8J)||TT Coupé (8S)|
|Roadster||TT Roadster (8N)||TT Roadster (8J)||TT Roadster (8S)|
|Convertible||Cabriolet (8G)||A4 Cabriolet / S4 Cabriolet (8H)||A5 / S5 (8F)|
|Sports car||Quattro (Ur-Quattro)||RS6 (4B)||RS4 (8E/8H)|
|Crossover||allroad quattro (4Z)||allroad (8K)||A4 allroad (8W)|
|Compact SUV||Q3 (8U)|
|Mid-size SUV||Q5 (8R)|
|Full-size SUV||Q7 (4L)||Q7 (4M)|
|This advertising-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|