|Place of origin||France|
|Region or state||Occitanie|
|Main ingredients||Mashed potatoes, butter, cream, cheese (Tomme de Laguiole or Tomme d'Auvergne), garlic|
Aligot is a dish made from cheese blended into mashed potatoes (often with some garlic) that is made in L'Aubrac (Aveyron, Cantal, Lozère, Occitanie) region in southern Massif Central of France. This fondue-like dish from the Aveyron department is a common sight in Auvergne restaurants.
Traditionally made with the Tomme de Laguiole (Tome fraîche) or Tomme d'Auvergne cheese, aligot is a French country speciality highly appreciated in the local gastronomy with Toulouse sausages or roast pork. Other cheeses are used in place of Tomme, including Mozzarella, Cantal and Laguiole.
Aligot is made from mashed potatoes blended with butter, cream, crushed garlic, and the melted cheese. The dish is ready when it develops a smooth, elastic texture. While recipes vary, the Larousse Gastronomique gives the recipe as 1 kg potatoes; 500 g tomme fraîche, Laguiole, or Cantal cheese; 2 garlic cloves; 30 g butter; salt and pepper.
This dish was prepared for pilgrims on the way to Santiago de Compostela who stopped for a night in that region. According to legend, aligot was originally prepared with bread, and potatoes were substituted after their introduction to France. Today, it is enjoyed for village gatherings and celebrations as a main dish. Aligot is still cooked by hand in Aveyron, at home as well as in street markets. Aligot is traditionally served with Auvergne red wine.
- Simple to Spectacular: How to Take One Basic Recipe to Four Levels of Sophistication. ASIN 0767903609.CS1 maint: ASIN uses ISBN (link)
- "Martha Stewart - Aligote on Toast". Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Larousse Gastronomique". Archived from the original on 13 February 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- "Regions of France: Aveyron Aligot". Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "Too Many Chefs". Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- Mah, Ann (2013). Mastering the Art of French Eating: From Paris Bistros to Farmhouse Kitchens, Lessons in Food and Love. New York: Penguin. ISBN 9781101638156.