|Place of origin||Netherlands|
|Region or state||Rotterdam|
|Created by||Nathaniël Gomes|
|Main ingredients||French fries, meat (döner or shawarma), Gouda cheese, salad vegetables|
|1800 kcal (7536 kJ)|
|Cookbook: Kapsalon Media: Kapsalon|
Kapsalon is a Dutch fast food consisting of fries, topped with döner or shawarma meat, grilled with a layer of Gouda cheese until melted and then covered with a layer of dressed salad greens. The dish is usually served in a disposable metal tray as this food is a fast food. The dish is often served with garlic sauce and sambal, a hot sauce from the former colony of Indonesia. Kapsalon has a high energy content, with a large serving containing approximately 1,800 kilocalories (7,531 kJ) but apart from the high-GL fries, low in carbohydrates and hence glycemic load (GL). The term kapsalon means "hairdressing salon" in Dutch, alluding to one of the inventors of the dish.
The dish was conceived in 2003 by Nathaniël Gomes, a Cape Verdian hairdresser in Rotterdam who in collaboration with the neighboring shawarma store "El Aviva" combined all his favorite ingredients into one dish. The dish has since spread around the Netherlands into Belgium, among other countries. Eventually the kapsalon reached as far as the elite of the Nepalese capital city of Kathmandu in 2017 where one can get a kapsalon with fish or chicken but served on a plate instead of in a disposable fastfood tray. The dish is fashionable in Nepal as of 2017 with people taking photos and a food blogger with 18 000 followers describing the dish as "a party in her mouth with her favorite tastes".
- Sterre Lindhout (14 September 2011). "Culinair moordwapen" [Culinary lethal weapon]. Volkskrant (in Dutch).
- Lester Haines (7 October 2011). "Post-pub nosh deathmatch: Kapsalon v quesadillas". The Register.
- "Caloriebom Kapsalon: erg lekker!" [Caloric bomb Kapsalon: very tasty!] (in Dutch). Algemeen Dagblad. 23 August 2006. Archived from the original on 30 June 2015.
- "Nieuwste kebabhit 'het kapsalon' verovert Vlaanderen" [Newest kebab-hit 'Kapsalon' conquers Flanders]. vandaag.be (in Dutch). 21 December 2011.
- Leo Roubos (14 September 2011). "'Kapsalon is cultureel erfgoed van toekomst'" ['Kapsalon is cultural heritage of the future']. RTV Rijnmond (in Dutch).
- Wesley Schouwenaars. "Kapsalon is 'een feestje' in Nepalese mond". BNR.nl.
- Media related to Kapsalon (food) at Wikimedia Commons