This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Aeropuerto de Fuerteventura
|Location||Puerto del Rosario|
|Elevation AMSL||26 m / 86 ft|
Fuerteventura Airport (IATA: FUE, ICAO: GCFV), also known as El Matorral Airport, is an airport serving the Spanish island of Fuerteventura. It is situated in El Matorral, 5 km (3.1 mi) southwest of the capital city Puerto del Rosario. The airport has flight connections to over 80 destinations worldwide, and over 5.6 million passengers passed through it in 2016.
The airport has one terminal building with two floors. The ground floor has two sections; one section is for flight arrivals and the other for flight departures. The first floor has the departures lounge and 24 boarding gates. In total, the terminal covers over 92,000 m² and it has the capacity to handle 8.2 million passengers per year.
The airport was opened officially on 14 September 1969. The first plane to touch down on the new runway was an Iberia Fokker F27, which flew the route Las Palmas-Fuerteventura-Lanzarote.
In 1973, El Matorral Airport began to operate its first flights to European countries with the airline Condor, which linked the German city of Düsseldorf directly with Puerto del Rosario. In the following years, the airport experienced considerable growth in the number of operations, which resulted in a series of improvements, starting in 1978, to ensure that the working of the aerodrome continued to meet the needs of the passengers.
Development since the 1990s
In 1994, construction started on a new terminal building, an aircraft apron, a taxiway parallel to the runway, a power plant and a new access road. The works were completed with the extension of the car park and a detour on the Puerto de Rosario-Matorral, road adding some two kilometres, of which 1.5 are double lane. With the new facilities it was possible to attend around five million passengers a year and manage around 3,100 passengers per hour during rush-hour periods.
Airlines and destinations
|Updated: 16 January 2015. 2016 data Provisional.|
|Passengers||Aircraft movements||Cargo (tonnes)|
|Source: Aena Statistics|
- "Estadísticas - Aeropuertos Españoles - aena.es". www.aena.es. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Spanish AIP (AENA)". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "EAD Basic - Error Page". www.ead.eurocontrol.int. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Fuerteventura Airport Guide". Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- "Iniciamos los vuelos interislas Canarias".
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Eurowings Expands Vienna Network in W16". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Germania schedules new Berlin routes for W17". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Cheap Flights - Find & Book Cheap Flights Online - Jet2.com". www.jet2.com. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Norwegian lanserar nya linjer till Madeira och Fuerteventura från Stockholm samt utökar antalet avgångar till Marrakech och Tel Aviv" (in Swedish). MyNewsdesk. 21 June 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- TUIfly begin service to Fuertaventura from November 2017
- "TUI fly to terminate Karlsruhe presence in mid-4Q18". ch-aviation.com.
- "Wizz Air announces two new routes". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
Media related to Fuerteventura Airport at Wikimedia Commons