History of Kokani Muslims settled in Mumbai (erstwhile Bombay) is documented well in publications such as The Bombay Gazette and newspapers like Times of India since the later part of nineteenth century. Many prominent Kokani Muslim families' names, their activities and contributions to social and cultural life are accessible.
Konkani Muslims are natives of Konkan region in Western India, the population is mainly concentrated in the Maharashtrian districts of Mumbai, Raigad, Thane, Ratnagiri, Sindhudurg. Muslim people of south Sindhudurg near Malvan and the former Maratha princely states of Sawantwadi and Oros speak a dialect of Konkani called Málvani language.
There are Konkani Muslims in Karachi, Pakistan who migrated after the Partition of India in 1947. The Konkani Muslims in Karachi now speak Urdu and have assimilated with other Muhajirs. The Konkani Muslims in Karachi are concentrated in the Kokan Cooperative Housing Society in Gulshan-e-Iqbal Town.
There is a large Konkani Muslim diaspora community of economic migrants working in the Arab states of the Persian Gulf, the UK, the USA, South Africa and East Africa (where they have been established for almost a century).
The main food of Konkni Muslims is non-vegetarian, mostly seafood. Its staple food is rice and bread made of rice (preferred at dinners) with fish and lentils or vegetables. It is mainly influenced by Maharashtrian cuisine.
- Makhdoom Ali Mahimi - Muslim Scholar, whose tomb is the famous Mahim Dargah
- Mukri - Bollywood Comic Actor
- Shafi Inamdar - Bollywood Actor
- Aamir Dalvi - Hindi Television actor
- Dawood Ibrahim - Mafia don and terrorist, wanted by Interpol, FBI and Indian authorities.
- Fareed Zakaria - American Journalist
- Rafiq Zakaria - Indian Politician, Educationalist and Author - Father of Farid Zakaria
- Abdul Rehman Antulay - Indian Politician, ex-Chief Minister of Maharashtra
- Hussain Dalwai - Indian Politician, Member of Parliament and Rajya Sabha Former Law Minister (Government of Maharashtra)
- Zakir Naik - Islamic speaker on comparative religion,(the founder and president of the Islamic Research Foundation(IRF).
- Abdul Kadar Mukadam - Scholar of Islam
- Dr Omar Khalidi. "History". www.ikonkani.com. i-konkani. Retrieved April 2015.
- iKokani-A Complete Kokani Muslim Community Portal
- Konkani History
- Konkni Muslim Association Birmingham
|This article about ethnicity or ethnology is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|