New York Community Bank
|Traded as||NYSE: NYCB
S&P 400 Component
|Headquarters||Westbury, NY, United States|
Number of locations
|Joseph R. Ficalora, President & CEO|
|Products||Multi-family loans, commercial real estate loans|
|Revenue||US$1.433 billion (2016)|
|US$0.495 billion (2016)|
|Total assets||US$48.926 billion (2016)|
|Total equity||US$6.123 billion (2016)|
Number of employees
New York Community Bancorp, Inc. (NYCB) is a bank headquartered in Westbury, New York with 225 branches in New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Florida, and Arizona. NYCB is on the list of largest banks in the United States.
Almost all of the loans originated by the bank are either multi-family or commercial loans, many of which are in New York City and are subject to rent control and rent stabilization laws.
New York Community Bank operates branches under the following names:
- Community Bank (New York)
- Queens County Savings Bank (New York)
- Roslyn Savings Bank (New York)
- Richmond County Savings Bank (New York)
- Roosevelt Savings Bank (New York)
- Garden State Community Bank (New Jersey)
- AmTrust Bank (Florida and Arizona)
- Ohio Savings Bank (Ohio)
NYCB was founded on April 14, 1859 in Flushing, Queens as Queens County Savings Bank, and changed its name on December 15, 2000 to New York Community Bank to better reflect its market area beyond Queens.
On December 4, 2009, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation seized AmTrust, a bank headquartered in Cleveland, OH with 66 branches and $13 billion in assets in Ohio, Florida and Arizona. NYCB acquired Amtrust, which expanded NYCB's branch footprint outside of the New York metropolitan area for the first time.
On October 29, 2015, the bank announced an agreement to merge with Astoria Bank, but on December 20, 2016 the boards of directors of both banks mutually agreed to terminate the agreement effective Jan. 1, 2017 after it was clear Federal reserve approval would not be received prior to the end of 2016.
- New York Community Bancorp, Inc. 2016 Form 10-K Annual Report
- NYCB: Mergers & Acquisitions
- "Metro Business: Haven Bancorp Acquired". Bloomberg L.P. The New York Times. June 29, 2000.
- "NEW YORK COMMUNITY BANCORP, INC. AND RICHMOND COUNTY FINANCIAL CORP. ANNOUNCE MERGER-OF-EQUALS IN AN $802 MILLION TRANSACTION EXPECTED TO GENERATE 2002 CASH EARNINGS ACCRETION OF 16%" (Press release). U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. March 27, 2001.
- Solnik, Claude (December 28, 2001). "NYCB acquires balance of Peter B. Cannell & Co.". Long Island Business News.
- "New York Community Bancorp, Inc. Completes Strategic Merger with Roslyn Bancorp, Inc." (Press release). Business Wire. November 3, 2003.
- "NEW YORK COMMUNITY BANCORP, INC. TO ACQUIRE LONG ISLAND FINANCIAL CORP." (Press release). U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. August 1, 2005.
- Diamataris, Antonis (October 14, 2005). "Ntl. Bank of Greece Sells Atlantic Bank to New York Bank for $400M in Cash". The National Herald.
- "New York Community Bancorp, Inc. Announces the Acquisition of 11 New York City Branches of Doral Bank, FSB by New York Commercial Bank" (Press release). Business Wire. March 15, 2007.
- "NEW YORK COMMUNITY BANCORP, INC. COMPLETES THE ACQUISITION OF PENNFED FINANCIAL SERVICES, INC." (PDF) (Press release). NYCB. April 2, 2007.
- "New York Community bank buys Synergy for $168 mln". Reuters. May 14, 2007.
- FDIC Failed Bank Information: Information for AmTrust Bank, Cleveland, OH
- Murray, Teresa Dixon (December 4, 2009). "AmTrust Bank fails, bought by New York bank". Cleveland Plain Dealer.
- FDIC Failed Bank Information: Information for Desert Hills Bank, Phoenix, AZ
- Casacchia, Chris (March 27, 2010). "Desert Hills Bank latest to be shut down by FDIC". American City Business Journals.
- "Lehman Brothers Holdings Announces Completion of the Sale of Substantially All Aurora Bank Assets and Insured Deposits" (Press release). Business Wire. June 29, 2012.
- Orol, Ronald (December 20, 2016). "N.Y. Community Bank Scraps $2 Billion Astoria Deal as Fed Review Lingers". TheStreet.
- "New York Community Bancorp, Inc. and Astoria Financial Corporation Announce the Termination of Their Definitive Merger Agreement Effective January 1, 2017" (Press release). Business Wire. December 20, 2016.