|Broadcast area||Indianapolis, Indiana|
|Slogan||Indy's #1 Hit Music Station|
|Frequency||99.5 MHz (also on HD Radio)|
|First air date||June 1, 1962 (as WSMJ)|
|Format||Top 40 (CHR)|
HD2: The Laugh Button (Comedy)
HD3: Sports (WXNT simulcast)
|Former callsigns||WSMJ (1962-1979)|
(Entercom License, LLC)
|Sister stations||WXNT, WNTR|
WZPL (99.5 FM) is a radio station based in Greenfield, Indiana, and serving the Indianapolis metropolitan area. The station, known as "99-5 ZPL", airs a Top 40 (CHR) format. WZPL is owned by Entercom. Its studios are located on Meridian Street in Indy's northside, and its transmitter tower is on the east side.
The station signed on as WSMJ on June 1, 1962 and remained as such until the spring of 1979 when WSMJ was sold to Heftel Broadcasting. They changed to a disco music format and adopted the call sign WIKS-FM "The New Rock Kiss 99 FM" on April 14, 1979. Later, a contemporary hit radio format was adopted which, aside from a brief experiment playing classic rock in 1989, has continued to this day, though it shifted in a more adult-oriented direction with a hot adult contemporary format. Recently, the station began shifting back towards a pure Top 40 (CHR), and was added to both Mediabase and Nielsen BDS Top 40/CHR reporting panels in November 2012.
The station features The Smiley Morning Show, hosted by Dave Smiley, weekday mornings and Dylan weekday afternoons.
In the early 2000s the station was known as "Z 99-5."
In 2005, WZPL became one of the first Indianapolis-area radio stations to broadcast their signal in HD Radio. In 2006, they introduced a stream of All Comedy Radio, a 24-hour comedy station, also known as "The Laugh Button," on their alternate HD 2 digital channel , and HD 3 as a simulcast of WXNT 1430 AM, CBS Sports Radio. Following the sale of Radio Disney affililate WRDZ-FM (now hip-hop formatted WZRL) to iHeartMedia (after the network started shuttering FM affiliates in the mid 2010's), WZPL had picked up the Radio Disney format for a year on the HD2 channel, until Entercom's affiliation with Disney expired.
- "WZPL - On-Air with Ryan Seacrest". WZPL. Archived from the original on 2009-01-01. Retrieved 2008-11-24.
- "WZPL-HD2 All Comedy Radio". WZPL. Archived from the original on 2008-01-21. Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-09-17. Retrieved 2016-11-01. HD Radio Guide for Indianapolis
- Stine, Randy J. (March 9, 2017). "Entercom to Carry Radio Disney on Some HD2 Stations". RadioWorld.
- Official website
- The Indiana Radio Archive - WZPL
- All Comedy Radio
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WZPL
- Radio-Locator information on WZPL
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WZPL