Poteet High School (Mesquite, Texas)
|Poteet High School|
|3300 Poteet Dr.
Mesquite, Texas, 75150
|Motto||"One Voice One Spirit"|
|School district||Mesquite Independent School District|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Color(s)||Dark Green and White|
|Mascot||Patch the Pirate|
Coordinates: Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School is located at 3300 Poteet Drive in Mesquite, in the U.S. state of Texas. It opened in 1986 and is named for a former school superintendent, Dr. Ralph H. Poteet. It is the fourth high school built by the Mesquite Independent School District.
Poteet serves grades 9 through 12. Poteet serves northern portions of Mesquite; the school formerly served parts of Sunnyvale. The school mascot is Patch the Pirate.
One of the things Poteet High School is known for is its band program. The Poteet Pirate Band has won the AAAA UIL State Marching Band title in 1997, 2005, and 2007. The Poteet Honors Band received the title of 2008 TMEA Class 4A Honor Band, the highest honor a concert band can receive in the state of Texas. The band has also received the UIL Sweepstakes Award for 22 consecutive years (every year since the school opened). The Poteet Percussion Ensemble was selected as a showcase performance in Austin at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention in November 2008. Also, in 2009, the band received the Sudler Flag of Honor, an award from the John Philip Sousa Foundation.
Mesquite ISD decided to adopt standardized dress (similar to a school uniform) for middle and high school students starting with the 2005 to 2006 school year.
Elementary schools that feed into Poteet include :
Kimbrough Middle School feeds into Poteet.
In the news
- The 1997 Poteet AcDec Team advanced to the State Finals in San Antonio, Texas.
- The 2007 Poteet AcDec Team advanced to the State Finals in San Antonio, Texas. They were 16th out of 25 schools. Pegasus News Coverage
- Skye Dawson, NFL wide receiver (attended Poteet for 2 years before finishing high school at Dallas Christian School)
- Todd Graham, college football coach (began his coaching career as an assistant at Poteet)
- Jason Jennings, major league baseball pitcher
- Zach Woodlee, choreographer
- Avi Selk, "Ralph H. Poteet, Mesquite education icon, dies at 86", Dallas Morning News, September 24, 2012.
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program, Schools Recognized 1982-1983 Through 1999-2002 (PDF)
- Kent Miller, "Skye High", ionmesquite.com, December 11, 2012.
- "Arizona State's mercurial Todd Graham, a former Allen coach, has found it hard to settle down", Dallas Morning News, March 17, 2012.
- Travis Brown, "Poteet-ex Jennings had hand in state title run", ESPN.com, June 29, 2011.
- Deborah Fleck, "Mesquite mom of 'Glee' choreographer to dance in upcoming episode", Dallas Morning News, November 23, 2010.
|This article about a high school in Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|