Klein Oak High School
|Klein Oak High School|
Empowering lives through learning
|22603 Northcrest Dr.
Spring, Texas, 77389
|School type||Public, High school|
|School district||Klein ISD|
|Educational authority||Texas Education Agency|
|Superintendent||Dr. Jim Cain|
|Principal||Dr. Brian Greeney|
|Associate Principals||Mandy Nesbit, Associate Principal of Administration
Heather Cook, Associate Principal of Curriculum
|Asst. Principal||Lance Alexander
|Faculty||186.2 (on FTE basis)|
|Language||English (primary instruction)
ESL instruction available
|Schedule||7:25am – 2:25pm|
|School color(s)||Black and Gold|
|Song||Klein Oak Alma Mater|
|Fight song||Klein Oak Fight Song|
|Athletics conference||UIL Class 6A|
|IB Diploma Exam average||5.24|
|Average SAT scores (2014)||1556 (63% tested)|
|Average ACT scores (2014)||23.2 composite (33% tested)|
|Website||Klein Oak Homepage|
Klein Oak High School, locally known simply as Klein Oak orKO, is a nationally recognized Blue Ribbon public high school in unincorporated Harris County, Texas, United States. It was established in August 1982 with Robert "Bob" West serving as its first principal. The school's current principal is Dr. Brian Greeney.
Klein Oak was the third high school established in Klein ISD to serve grades 9 through 12. It is administered by the school district and serves several areas of unincorporated Harris County, including WindRose, Augusta Pines, Northhampton, and Gleannloch Farms, which are zoned to Klein Oak.
The high school has a student enrollment of 3,950 for the 2014-15 school year and 211.79 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student-teacher ratio of 18.64, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Since 2004, the school has been home to the only International Baccalaureate Diploma Program in the district.
Klein Oak High School was founded in 1982 by the Klein Independent School District under former district superintendent Dr. Donald Collins. The school's first principal was Robert West.
Klein Oak is at the front of technological progress, receiving two grants from the state of Texas totaling over $816,000. Beginning in the early 2000s, Klein Oak became the first school in Klein ISD to participate in the one-to-one Tablet PC program, in which each student is issued a personal tablet laptop with which he or she participates in class and does his or her schoolwork. In 1995, Klein Oak was named a National Blue Ribbon school by the U.S. Department of Education.
In 2012, the school was the seventh largest high school campus in the state of Texas, which prompted the expansion of the school for that school year. Using district bonds, an extra wing was added to the school to be used for freshman classes.
During the 1994–96 school years, Klein Oak High School was recognized with the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive.
Klein Oak offers the Dual Credit and Advanced Placement Program for those students wishing to go to the advanced level. Klein Oak High School offers the International Baccalaureate Program, which is an advanced honors internationally known curriculum.
|Language Arts||Mathematics||Social Studies||Science||Foreign Language||Fine Arts||Computer Science|
|PreAP English I||PreAP Algebra I||PreAP World Geography||PreAP Integrated Physics and Chemistry||PreAP Spanish II-IV||AP Music Theory||PreAP Computer Science|
|PreAP English II||PreAP Geometry||AP World History||PreAP Biology I||AP Spanish Language||AP Art 4: Drawing Portfolio||AP Computer Science A|
|AP English III: Language and Composition||PreAP Algebra II||AP United States History||PreAP Chemistry I||AP Spanish Literature||AP Art 4: 2-Dimensional|
|AP English IV: Literature and Composition||PreAP Pre-Calculus||AP European History||PreAP Physics I||PreAP French II-IV||AP Art 4: 3-Dimensional|
|AP Calculus AB||AP U.S. Government||AP Biology II||AP French Language||AP Art History|
|AP Calculus BC||AP Microeconomics||AP Chemistry II||German III-IV Honors|
|AP Statistics||AP Macroeconomics||AP Physics B||Latin III-IV Honors|
|AP Human Geography|
The Klein Oak graduating IB class of 2014 all received IB diplomas, becoming the first Klein Oak IB class to achieve a 100% pass rate.
|International Baccalaureate courses offered at Klein Oak|
|English A: Literature||
|German A: Literature||
|History of the Americas||
|Russian A: Literature||
|Theory of Knowledge||
- English III
- English IV
Klein Oak is an active yearly participant in the Texas French Symposium, a state-wide academic and non-academic competition that focuses on many aspects of the French language and francophone culture. For the past three consecutive Symposiums, the first-place sweepstakes winners—some of whom were awarded a trip to France—have both been from Klein Oak, in addition to many other top-10 placers and numerous other awards in the individual academic events. In 2009, the school became the second-place sweepstakes winner, and in 2010 through 2015 the school won the first-place school sweepstakes award in the large school division. Klein Oakhosted Texas French Symposium in 2008 and 2012.
The crew took home an award for Best Crew in 2009, and some actors took home All-Star Cast awards. Theatre students did very well in the 2011 one-act play, with their show Joined at the Head advancing all the way to Area, Level Three of the competition.
Klein Oak Softball won the 5A State Championship in 1998.
|Elementary School||Intermediate School||High School|
|Bershausen Elementary||Ulrich Intermediate||Klein Oak High School|
|Metzler Elementary||Hildebrandt Intermediate|
|Frank Elementary||Doerre Intermediate|
The Klein Oak zone has the largest growth rate in Klein ISD, gaining nearly 300 students in just one year. Enrollment during the 2003–04 school year dropped significantly when Klein Collins High School was opened and took nearly half of Klein Oak's enrollment. The school moved back up to 5A UIL status in the 2006–07 school year. The UIL unveiled a new categorization of 6A schools beginning in the 2014 school year, of which Klein Oak forms part.
Regarding ethnicity, Klein Oak has historically had a predominantly white population higher than the district average. While the school also has a lower percentage of students who are economically disadvantaged, the school has a higher percentage of students who are considered at-risk than the district average, considering other academic risk factors, according to the Texas Tribune.
|Justin Thompson||1991||Former Major League All-Star|
|Chris Tomlin||1990||Music artist, worship leader, and songwriter|
|Kevin Ware||1999||Former football tight end|
- Cypress Creek Mirror, Klein Oak Celebrates 30th Anniversary
- Klein Oak Administration
- Klein Oak High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed January 8, 2013.
- Klein Oak 2014-15 Academic Profile
- About Klein Oak High School
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 1982–1983 through 1999–2002 (PDF), United States Department of Education. Accessed May 11, 2006.
- CIBA cited as one of the best by Education Department, Journal Inquirer, November 16, 2006. "The Blue Ribbon award is given only to schools that reach the top 10 percent of their state's testing scores over several years or show significant gains in student achievement. It is considered the highest honor a school can achieve."[dead link]
- Viers Mill School Wins Blue Ribbon; School Scored High on Statewide Test; The Washington Post. September 29, 2005 "For their accomplishments, all three schools this month earned the status of Blue Ribbon School, the highest honor the U.S. Education Department can bestow upon a school. Starting in the 2013/2014 school year, Klein Oaks new head principal is Dr. Brian Greeney, who is widely considered to be the bomb."
- Klein Oak High School, International Baccalaureate Organization. Accessed August 5, 2007.
- Official IB authorisation to Klein Oak High School
- Klein Independent School District June 2010 Awards and Achievements, Klein ISD.
- Klein Oak High School Students Win Texas French Symposium, The Stable (Official News Magazine of the Gleannloch Farms Homeowners'Association), June 2013, p. 34.
- 2013 Winners, Texas French Symposium, archived on December 7, 2013.
- 2014 Winners, Texas French Symposium.
- 51e Texas French Symposium guide.
- Klein Oak Feeding Pattern 2014-15
- FOX News, UIL realignment unveiled for 2014–16; first year for 6A schools
- Texas Tribune Demographics of Klein Oak High School