Sam Houston High School (Arlington, Texas)
|Sam Houston High School|
"In the Halls of Sam Houston, there are no strangers."
|2000 Sam Houston Drive
Arlington, Texas, Tarrant County, 76014
|Type||Co-Educational, Public, Secondary|
|Number of students||approx. 3,000|
|Color(s)||Red White and Blue|
|Athletics||UIL Class 5A|
|Mascot||The Long Tall Texan|
|Accreditation(s)||Texas Education Agency|
|Yearbook||SHHS Cherokee Yearbook|
|Main Office Phone Number||682.867.8200|
|Website||Official Sam Houston High School Website|
Sam Houston High School is a secondary school serving grades 9-12 students who live in the eastern part of Arlington, Texas and the western part of Grand Prairie, Texas. It is part of the Arlington Independent School District, in Arlington, Texas. The mascot of the school is the Long Tall Texan, and the school colors are red, white, and blue.
Sam Houston, AISD's second high school, opened in the fall of 1963. Originally the campus was located on Browning Drive (Hutcheson Junior High School is now located there). The original boundary between Sam Houston and Arlington High School was described by Cathy Brown of The Dallas Morning News as "a north/south zig zag."
In 1965 AISD desegregated, so Sam Houston High School became a desegregated high school. In 1970 the high school moved to its current location east of New York Avenue, on the side of Pioneer Parkway opposite to the side the former campus sits on.
Accelerated Academic Programs
IB (International Baccalaureate) Program
AP (Advanced Placement) Program
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) Program
TRIO programs: Upward Bound and Educational Talent Search
Dual Credit course opportunities at Tarrant County College
Fine Arts Programs
Wind Symphony Band
Mariachi Band (as known as: "El Mariachi Tejano de Sam Houston")
Athletic Teams/Sports available:
Boys and Girls Basketball
Girls Drill Team
Boys and Girls Soccer
Boys and Girls Wrestling
Boys and Girls Cross Country
Boys and Girls Track and Field
Other Extracurricular Clubs/Organizations
Some Clubs/Organizations at Sam Houston:
National Honor Society
Spotlight Literary Magazine
SHHS Cherokee Yearbook
Texans Talk Newspaper
Muslim Students Association
NAACP Youth Council
Earth and Science Club
UIL Academic Teams
Tex-Annes Drill Team
Texan Corps/Bell Guards
Sam Houston Young Life
School Fight Song
Fight! Texans fight,
Fight on to glory and to fame.
Fight! Texans fight,
With banners high we'll win this game,
Let's everybody shout it,
Fight! Texans fight!
With courage, faith and loyalty,
Fight Sam Houston High School!
Fight on to Victory!
We sing to you our alma mater, and your colors bright.
Your name and fame we will remember as a guiding light.
Houston High School you we honor.
Houston High School you we praise.
We raise our voices to your glory,
Ever faithful, ever true.
And when our days with you have ended we will always be
True sons and daughters of Sam Houston!
We'll remember thee—Remember thee!
- Mike Adams (class of 1992) - Wide Receiver Pittsburgh Steelers
- Mark Clayton (class of 2000) - Wide Receiver Baltimore Ravens
- Damon Dunn (class of 1994)- American politician, minister, and retired football player: http://www.damondunn.com
- Trey Hillman (class of 1981) - [Major League Baseball]
- Fabian Moreno (class of 2000) - Actor
- Guy Morriss (class of 1969) - former offensive lineman Philadelphia Eagles and New England Patriots; football coach
The Sam Houston Alumni Association's website is: http://shhsalumni.com/.
- Brown, Cathy (editorial columnist). "No blackboard jungles despite changing demographics." The Dallas Morning News. Wednesday October 14, 1998. Opinions Arlington 7A. Retrieved on October 25, 2011.
- Sam Houston High School Homepage
- Sam Houston High School Alumni Association Homepage
- Arlington Independent School District Homepage