Belden (electronics company)
|Traded as||NYSE: BDC
S&P 400 Component
|Headquarters||St. Louis, Missouri, United States|
|Products||Coaxial, power, and signal cables, Connectors|
|Revenue||$2.3 bil 2014|
|$74.449 mil 2014|
|Total assets||$3,262.83 mil 2014|
|Total equity||$807.186 mil 2014|
Number of employees
Belden Incorporated is an American manufacturer of networking, connectivity, and cable products. The company designs, manufactures, and markets signal transmission products for demanding applications. These products serve the industrial automation, enterprise, security, transportation, infrastructure, and residential markets. Belden is one of the largest U.S.-based manufacturers of high-speed electronic cables primarily used in industrial, enterprise, and broadcast markets.
Belden operates in three regions:
Belden is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri. Its president and CEO is John Stroup.
- In early 2007, Belden purchased Hirschmann, an industrial marketing company focused on industrial automation and networking systems, for $260 million.
- In the summer of 2007, Belden acquired Lumberg Automation, which manufactures connectors used in industrial automation, for an undisclosed price.
- In June 2008, Belden purchased wireless LAN vendor Trapeze for $113 million.
- In December 2009, Belden purchased Telecast Fiber Systems, a manufacturer of fiber-optic systems for television broadcast production, for an undisclosed price.
- In late 2010, Belden acquired GarrettCom, an industrial networking products manufacturer, for $52 million.
- In late 2010, Belden purchased Thomas & Betts Corporation, a coax connectivity and communications products company, $78 million.
- In November 2010, Belden purchased broadcast connector manufacturer LRC of Memphis, Tennessee for $78 million.
- In December 2010, Belden divested its wireless business to Juniper Networks.
- In April 2011, Belden expanded its presence in South America with the acquisition of Poliron, a Brazilian cable company for $30 million.
- In September 2011, Belden acquired SCADA, a security solutions provider, and Byres Security, makers of the Tofino brand industrial security solutions, for $7 million.
- In June 2012, Belden acquired Miranda Technologies, a global provider of hardware and software solutions for the broadcast television, cable, satellite and IPTV industries, for $377 million.
- In December 2012, Belden purchased PPC, a developer and manufacturer of connectivity solutions for the broadband service provider market, for $515.7 million.
- In early 2014, Belden acquired Grass Valley, a manufacturer of end-to-end broadcast solutions, for $220 million.
- In December 2014, Belden said it will buy Tripwire, for $710 million. The deal, which is expected to close in the first quarter of 2015, will allow the companies to deliver cybersecurity solutions across industrial and broadcast markets.
- In early 2015, Belden purchased Tripwire, a company that develops, markets and sells information technology (IT) solutions that provide security and compliance automation, for $710 million.
PPC is a division of Belden. PPC holds a number of patents for connector technology and has pioneered many advancements which are available to a variety of industries today. PPC’s innovations include the Universal Compression Connector, the wireless compression connector for the wireless industry and a locking HDMI connector.
- Belden 2014 Financials Archived July 14, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.
- Belden to Acquire Hirschmann. (2007, March 13) http://www.automationworld.com/networking-amp-connectivity/belden-acquire-hirschmann
- Belden Acquires Lumberg Assets. (2007, May 15) http://www.radioworld.com/article/belden-acquires-lumberg-assets/17695
- "Network World" article Archived December 29, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Belden Acquires Telecast Fiber Systems. (2009, December 23). http://www.cablinginstall.com/articles/2009/12/belden-acquires-telecast.html
- Belden to buy GarrettCom for $52M. (2010, November 23) http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2010/11/23/belden-to-buy-garrettcom.html?page=all
- Belden to acquire Thomas & Betts unit for $78M. (2010, November 11) "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-04-15. Retrieved 2015-04-14.
- "Information Week" article
- Belden acquires Poliron for $30M. (2011, April 4) http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2011/04/04/belden-acquires-poliron-for-30m.html
- Belden/Hirschmann Buys Byres Security/Tofino. (2011, September 1) http://www.digitalbond.com/blog/2011/09/01/beldenhirschmann-buys-byres-securitytofino/
- Belden to buy Canada's Miranda Tech for $377 million. (2012, June 5) http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/05/us-mirandatechnologies-offer-idUSBRE8540JO20120605
- Belden buys privately held PPC for $515.7 million. (2012, December 11) http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/11/us-belden-acquisition-idUSBRE8BA0I320121211
- Belden To Acquire Grass Valley. (2014, February 6) http://www.multichannel.com/news/finance/belden-acquire-grass-valley/271107
- "Belden to buy cybersecurity firm Tripwire for $710 million". Investing.com. 2014-12-10.
- Belden buys Tripwire for $710m: Will keep network burglars out of Internet of Things. (2014, December 10) http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12/10/belden_buys_tripwire/
- United States Patent & Trademark Office[permanent dead link]
- Universal Compression Connector Product Specifications Archived June 28, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- PPC Wireless Industry Products Archived April 21, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- PPC Locking HDMI Cable Archived June 22, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.