|Born||Beverly Jean Ratcliffe
April 30, 1929
Detroit, Michigan, U.S.
|Residence||Alpine, San Diego, CA|
|Alma mater||Bob Jones University|
|Spouse(s)||Tim LaHaye (m. 1947)|
|Children||Linda Murphy (Vice-Chairman, Concerned Women for America, b. 1948)
Lee Lahaye (CFO, Concerned Women for America)
Lori LaHaye Scheck
Beverly LaHaye is an American Christian conservative activist and author who founded Concerned Women for America (CWA) in San Diego, California in 1979 and is the organization's current chair. She is the wife of evangelical Christian minister and prolific author of the Left Behind series Timothy LaHaye and has been married over 60 years. The CWA is a 501(c)(3) public policy women’s organization.
Life and education
Beverly Jean Ratcliffe was born in Detroit, Michigan on April 30, 1929. She attended Bob Jones University and met Tim LaHaye while a student there. She married Tim on July 5, 1947. Her oldest daughter Linda Murphy was born in 1948 and is the Vice-Chairman of Concerned Women for America. Her oldest son is Larry LaHaye. Lee LaHaye is her youngest son and the CFO of Concerned Women for America. Her youngest daughter is Lori LaHaye Scheck. They have four children and nine grandchildren and live in the Los Angeles area. In 1992, Jerry Falwell's Liberty University gave her an honorary Doctorate of Humanities.
LaHaye wrote The Spirit-Controlled Woman and The Desires of a Woman's Heart. LaHaye has co-written multiple books with Terri Blackstock. She and her husband co-authored The Act of Marriage: The Beauty of Sexual Love in 1976.
Concerned Women for America (CWA)
Initially, CWA was a reaction to the National Organization for Women and a 1978 Barbara Walters interview with feminist Betty Friedan. LaHaye stated of the interview that she was convinced Friedan’s goal was a "misguided attempt to dismantle the bedrock of America culture: the family," and that she believed Christian women were not included in discussions of women's rights. She held a rally in a local San Diego auditorium, which marked the beginning of CWA. While CWA was originally intended to be a local group, the organization was established nationwide within two years.
- How to Develop Your Child's Temperament (1977) OCLC 3312367
- I Am a Woman by God's Design (1980) OCLC 6813275
- The Act of Marriage: The Beauty of Sexual Love (1976) OCLC 1859880
- The Spirit-Controlled Woman (1976) OCLC 3033275
- The Restless Woman (1984) OCLC 10912698
- Concerned Women for America Fact Check.Org, October 2010. Retrieved: 14 September 2013.
- "Mrs. Beverly LaHaye Founder and Chairman, CWA". Concerned Women for America. Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- Gardiner, S., "Concerned Women for America: A Case Study", Feminism and Women's Studies, 28 August 2006. Online as of 19 April 2007.
- Beverly LaHaye marks three decades of promoting traditional values through CWA Christian Examiner.com, 20 December 09. Retrieved: 14 September 2013.
- Henry, Tamara (September 2, 1992). "Group says school censorship increasing". Associated Press. Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- The Beverly LaHaye Institute
- About Beverly LaHaye
- Beverly LaHaye's political donations at the Wayback Machine (archived March 8, 2005)
- Appearances on C-SPAN