Midwest Governors Regional Pact
The Midwest Governors Regional Pact is an interstate compact between seven midwestern states in the United States to coordinate the rollback of economic restrictions implemented by the state governments in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
On November 17, 2020, all governors in the pact participated in a video urging their citizens to continue social distancing, “mask up”, and take other necessary steps to avoid transmitting the virus over the upcoming holiday season.
In a joint statement on April 16, 2020, governors from the states of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin announced the formation of a Midwest regional partnership on COVID-19 similar to the Western States Pact formed by five western states and the Eastern States Multi-state Council formed by seven northeastern states.
The group has agreed to consider four factors as to when to reopen the economy namely:
- "Sustained control of the rate of new infections and hospitalizations"
- "Enhanced ability to test and trace"
- "Sufficient health care capacity to handle resurgence"
- "Best practices for social distancing in the workplace"
As to why Iowa was not included in the said pact, Governor Kim Reynolds has refused to comment but assured that she "will continue to participate in conversations with nearby governors as we prepare to open the state back up in the coming weeks" according to her spokesperson, Pat Garrett. However, Pritzker said that "Iowa chose not to be part of this." Governors from Missouri, North Dakota and South Dakota also reportedly declined joining the partnership.
|Illinois||J. B. Pritzker||April 16, 2020|
|Indiana||Eric Holcomb||April 16, 2020|
|Kentucky||Andy Beshear||April 16, 2020|
|Michigan||Gretchen Whitmer||April 16, 2020|
|Minnesota||Tim Walz||April 16, 2020|
|Ohio||Mike DeWine||April 16, 2020|
|Wisconsin||Tony Evers||April 16, 2020|
- Eastern States Multi-state Council
- Economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic
- U.S. state and local government responses to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Western States Pact
- "Midwestern governors share bipartisan message on COVID-19 safety over holidays". ABC News. Retrieved November 20, 2020.
- "7 Midwestern governors announce their states will coordinate on reopening". CNN. April 17, 2020. Retrieved August 9, 2020.
- Coyne, Marley (April 16, 2020). "Midwest States Will Collaborate To Reopen Economies, As Regional Alliances Take The Lead". Forbes. Retrieved August 9, 2020.
- Lahut, Jake (April 16, 2020). "Midwestern states have formed a 3rd coalition to reopen the economy". Business Insider. Retrieved August 9, 2020.
- "Midwest Governors Announce Plan to Coordinate on Reopening of Economy". NBC Chicago. April 16, 2020. Retrieved August 9, 2020.
- "Gov. Reynolds won't say if she was invited to join 7-state 'reopening' pact". April 16, 2020. Retrieved August 9, 2020.
- "Iowa governor won't say if she was invited to join 7-state pact that includes Illinois". Herald & Review. April 17, 2020. Retrieved August 9, 2020.
- Klayman, Ben (April 16, 2020). "U.S. Midwest governors to coordinate reopening economies battered by coronavirus". Reuters. Retrieved August 9, 2020.