Jieyang Chaoshan International Airport
|Jieyang Chaoshan International Airport
Jiēyáng Cháoshàn Jīchǎng
|IATA: SWA – ICAO: ZGOW|
|Operator||Shantou, Chaozhou, Jieyang Airport Cooperation
|Location||Jiedong County, Jieyang, Guangdong|
|Hub for||China Southern Airlines|
Jieyang Chaoshan International Airport (a.k.a. Chaoshan Airport, Chinese: 揭阳潮汕国际机场) (IATA: SWA, ICAO: ZGOW) is an airport serving the cities of Jieyang, Shantou, Chaozhou and nearby areas in eastern Guangdong Province, China. It is located in the towns of Paotai and Denggang in Jiedong District, Jieyang, Guangdong. It was part of a relocation plan from the original Shantou Waisha Airport, and the site was chosen to be near the geographic center of Jieyang, Shantou, and Chaozhou. The airport was put in to service on December 15, 2011, with the simultaneous shut-down of Shantou Waisha Airport as a civil aviation airport.
The city of Shantou was formerly served by Shantou Waisha Airport, a dual-use military and civil airport. Construction of Jieyang Chaoshan Airport began on June 16, 2009 with a total investment of 3.8 billion yuan. In November 2011, the Chinese Ministry of Environmental Protection halted the construction of the airport due to unauthorized deviations from the approved environmental impact report. The airport authorities submitted a revised environmental impact report, which gained approval from the ministry. Jieyang Chaoshan Airport was opened on December 15, 2011, when all civil flights were transferred from the old Waisha Airport, which remains in use as a military air base. On July 10, 2014, the Chinese government officially gave the airport international status, after having operated international flights for a number of years already. This allowed the airport to officially begin regular international flights in addition to those already operating.
The airport covers an area of 55,000 square metres and 12 jetways with the passenger terminal divided into two, with the domestic terminal on one side and the international on the other. The whole terminal has an annual traffic capacity of 4.5 million passengers. A second check-in terminal has also been created outside Shantou Railway Station, with bus connections to the airport.
Airlines and destinations
Jieyang Chaoshan Airport is among the 50 busiest passenger airports in China.
- "汕头机场一夜整体"搬家" 转场揭阳潮汕机场－地方新闻－时政频道－中工网".
- "GE investing in 3.7b yuan Jieyang Chaoshan Airport in Guangdong".
- 揭阳潮汕机场总体概况 (in Chinese). Jieyang Chaoshan Airport. Retrieved 2013-01-23.
- 广东揭阳潮汕机场15日使用 曾因环评未过关停建. Tencent (in Chinese). 2011-12-11. Retrieved 2013-01-23.
- 揭阳潮汕机场今晨起飞首架航机. Netease (in Chinese). 2011-12-15. Retrieved 2013-01-23.
- 林双英. "揭阳航空口岸通过验收_地市滚动_南方网".
- "New Airport in East Guangdong _Life of Guangzhou".
- "Jieyang Airport, Jieyang Chaoshan International Airport - SWA, ZGOW".
- "揭阳潮汕机场汕头候机楼月底启用 - 信息时报 - 汉丰网".
- 2016, UBM (UK) Ltd. "China Southern Adds Shantou – Taipei Service from Feb 2015".
- 曾剑峰. "潮汕机场将开通揭阳直飞马来西亚泰国航线_广东精选_南方网".
- L_103866. "揭阳潮汕机场将开放国际口岸--广东频道--人民网".