This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Goddess of jealousy and envy
|Member of The Erinyes|
|Parents||Uranus or Nyx|
|Siblings||Alecto and Tisiphone|
Megaera (//; Ancient Greek: Μέγαιρα "the jealous one") is one of the Erinyes, Eumenides or "Furies" in Greek mythology. Bibliotheca Classica states "According to the most received opinions, they were three in number, Tisiphone, "Megaera ... daughter of Nox and Acheron", and Alecto".
In modern French (mégère), Portuguese (megera), Modern Greek (μέγαιρα), Italian (megera), Russian (мегера) and Czech (megera), this name denotes a jealous or spiteful woman. She is not to be confused with Megara, the wife of Heracles.
Megaera is a major character in the video game Hades. She is a boss and a potential romance partner to the main character.
Megaera is one of the three antagonists in the video game God of War: Ascension where she is portrayed as a deformed humanoid with spider like appendages
- Related to μεγαίρω "to grudge, envy" from Proto-Indo-European *meǵh2- "great" (see Robert S. P. Beekes, Etymological Dictionary of Greek, Brill, 2009, p. 917).
- Lamprière's Classical Dictionary of Proper Names mentioned in Ancient Authors, 1949, p. 366
- Lamprière's Classical Dictionary of Proper Names mentioned in Ancient Authors, 1949, p. 234
- Graves, Robert (1960). The Greek Myths. London: Penguin Books. pp. 37. ISBN 9780140171990.
- "(464) Megaira". (464) Megaira In: Dictionary of Minor Planet Names. Springer. 2003. p. 52. doi:10.1007/978-3-540-29925-7_465. ISBN 978-3-540-29925-7.