||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Member of the European Parliament for Germany|
22 April 1960 |
|Political party|| German:
Christian Democratic Union
European People's Party
Michael Gahler (born April 22, 1960 Frankfurt/Main) is a German politician and Member of the European Parliament for Hesse. He is a member of the conservative Christian Democratic Union, part of the European People's Party.
Education and early career
Gahler studied in Mainz and Dijon (1981–87) before training as a lawyer. He joined the Federal Foreign Office in 1990, where he served under ministers Hans-Dietrich Genscher, Klaus Kinkel and Joschka Fischer. While in the diplomatic service, he worked on international environmental policy (1991-93) and Germany's bilateral relations with the Baltic states and the Council of the Baltic Sea States. Between 1993 and 1995, he was seconded to work for the CDU party headquarters in Bonn.
Gahler has been a politician since 1986, when he won a seat on the city council of Hattersheim.
Member of the European Parliament, 1999–present
Gahler was elected to the European Parliament in the 1999 elections.
Gahler headed the EU Election Observation Mission during the 2011 election for a constituent assembly, the first vote in after the Tunisian revolution. He later led the EU-Election Observer Mission for the general election in Pakistan in 2013.
Gahler serves as rapporteur on Commission’s communication on defence and as a member of the High-level Group of Personalities on Defence Research chaired by Elżbieta Bieńkowska. In addition, he is as a member of the European Parliament's Sky and Space Intergroup (SSI).
He is a signatory of the Prague Declaration on European Conscience and Communism.
- Kangaroo Group, Chairman
- Robert Schuman Foundation, Member of the Board
- Robert Schuman Institute Budapest, Member of the Board
- Konrad Adenauer Foundation, Member
- Toby Vogel (October 20, 2011), EU observers to monitor Tunisia elections European Voice.
- Toby Vogel (October 16, 2014), Delegations choose their leaders European Voice.
- Simon Taylor (March 30, 2015), High-level group of personalities on defence research European Voice.
- Members of the European Parliament's Sky and Space Intergroup (SSI) European Parliament.
- "Prague Declaration: Selected signatories". Institute for Information on the Crimes of Communism. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michael Gahler.|
|This article about a Member of the European Parliament from Germany is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|