Giegold at a Green party convention in March 2009.
|Member of the European Parliament|
17 November 1969 |
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
|Political party|| German:
Alliance '90/The Greens
The Greens–European Free Alliance
|Alma mater||University of Birmingham|
Sven Giegold (born 17 November 1969) is a German politician for the Alliance 90/The Greens party and one of the founding members of Attac Germany. He became a member of the Greens only in 2008, and was elected to the European Parliament in the 2009 elections.
Early life and education
Born in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain, Giegold grew up in Hanover, Lower Saxony. He enrolled at the University of Lüneburg in 1991 majoring in political science and economics, and later attended the University of Bremen. He earned his Master's degree from the University of Birmingham in 1996. He returned to the University of Bremen to pursue his Ph.D. under supervision of Jörg Huffschmid, but later abandoned his studies in favor of his political career.
- Development and Peace Foundation (SEF), Member of the Board of Trustees
- Forum Ökologisch-Soziale Marktwirtschaft (FÖS), Member of the Advisory Board
- Association for the Taxation of Financial Transactions and for Citizens' Action (ATTAC), Member
- FIAN Germany, Member
- Institut Solidarische Moderne, Member
- Tax Justice Network, Member
- ver.di, Member
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sven Giegold.|