This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A pastry chef at work
|Competencies||Pastry, Dessert expert|
A pastry chef or pâtissier (pronounced [pɑ.ti.sje]; the French female version of the word is pâtissière [pɑ.ti.sjɛʁ]), is a station chef in a professional kitchen, skilled in the making of pastries, desserts, breads and other baked goods. They are employed in large hotels, bistros, restaurants, bakeries, and some cafés.
Duties and functions
Day-to-day operations can also require the pastry chef to research recipe concepts and develop and test new recipes. Usually the pastry chef does all the necessary preparation of the various desserts in advance, before dinner seating begins. The actual plating of the desserts is often done by another station chef, usually the garde manger, at the time of order. The pastry chef is often in charge of the dessert menu, which besides traditional desserts, may include dessert wines, specialty dessert beverages, and gourmet cheese platters. Pastry chefs are also expected to fully understand their ingredients and the chemical reactions that occur when making fine pastries. Precise timing and temperatures are critically important. 
In larger kitchens, the pastry chef may have a number of other chefs working in their station, each responsible for specific types of pastries:
- boulanger (baker): responsible for breads, cakes and breakfast pastries
- confiseur (confectioner): responsible for candies and petit fours
- décorateur (decorator): responsible for specialty cakes and show pieces
- glacier: responsible for cold and frozen desserts
- Scheiber, Noam (2016-10-13). "Creating a Pastry Chef From Scratch". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-11-08.
- "Dessert Professional Taps the Top Ten Pastry Chefs in America". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "How to Become a Pastry Chef". Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- Friberg, Bo (1996). The Professional Pastry Chef (3rd ed.). New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold. ISBN 0-442-01597-6.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pastry chefs.|
|This job-, occupation-, or vocation-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|