The Cronut was introduced on May 10, 2013, at Ansel's bakery, Dominique Ansel Bakery, in New York's SoHo neighborhood. On the same night, a blogger from Grub Street, the online restaurant blog from New York magazine, reported on the new pastry. The post resulted in much interest and online circulation, and by the third day, a line of over 100 people had formed outside the shop to buy it.
After the release of the Cronut, similar products have sprung up throughout the world including some with different names such as the Kelownut, Doughssant, Crullant, zonut, and others.
Dominique Ansel released an at-home Cronut recipe in his cookbook, Dominique Ansel: The Secret Recipes, in 2015, for bakers to attempt in their own homes. Like the original pastry made at Ansel's bakeries, the process also takes three days.
- Merwin, Hugh (May 9, 2013). "Introducing the Cronut, a Doughnut-Croissant Hybrid That May Very Well Change Your Life". Grub Street New York.
- "Meet the Cronut: Croissant-Donut Hybrid Takes Pastry World by Storm". ABC News. 2013-05-20. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- "Eureka! From Gone Girl to the selfie stick – how one great idea can change your life". The Guardian. November 6, 2015.
- Shunk, Laura (2013-12-04). "Cronut Wizard Dominique Ansel: 'I Want to Make the World of Pastry Exciting'". Blogs.villagevoice.com. Archived from the original on 2014-02-13. Retrieved 2014-02-26.
- O'Connor, Brendan (May 8, 2015). "The Mysterious Persistence of the Cronut". The New York Times Magazine.
- Little, Katie (2013-06-07). "Cronut Mania Spawns Imitators and a Trademark Rush". CNBC. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- "Official USPTO Notice of Acceptance Section 8: U.S. Trademark RN 4788108: CRONUT". United States Patent and Trademark Office. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- Munro, Rob (2019-08-03). "The origin of the Kelownut and why they've been so hard to find lately". Kelowna News. Retrieved 2021-04-15.
- Blume, Brett (2013-07-08). "The 'Cronut'... Er, That's the 'Doughssant'... Has Arrived In St. Louis". KMOX. Archived from the original on 2013-12-19. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Tatusian, Tenny (June 27, 2013). "Cronut in LA: Semi Sweet Bakery to introduce the Crullant". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on 2013-07-05.
- Ting, Inga (2013-06-14). "Good Food - From cronut to zonut, pastry fever comes to Sydney". The Sydney Morning Herald. Archived from the original on 2013-08-28. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- "'Cronut' craze has made it to Jacksonville". First Coast News. June 28, 2013.
- Ode, Kim (March 30, 2015). "A homemade version of the Cronut". Star Tribune.
- McDermid, Wilkes (2013-08-23). "Where to get cronuts in London". Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- Ansel, Dominique (2014). "The At-Home Cronut™ Pastry". The Secret Recipes. Murdoch Books. ISBN 978-1476764191. Retrieved 2020-01-16.
- Rao, Tejal (2013-05-10). "The Cronut Is a Doughnut-Croissant Love Child". The Village Voice. Archived from the original on 2014-08-14. Retrieved 2014-08-13.
- Griffin, Carolyn (November 13, 2013). "The 25 Best Inventions of the Year 2013". Time. Archived from the original on November 14, 2013. Retrieved September 25, 2021.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cronut.|