A Cronut is a croissant-doughnut pastry invented by New York City pastry chef Dominique Ansel of Dominique Ansel Bakery. The pastry resembles a doughnut and is made from croissant-like dough which is filled with flavored cream and fried in grapeseed oil. A trademark was registered for the name "cronut" at the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Official Cronut pastries are sold only at the Dominique Ansel Bakery locations in New York City, Los Angeles, Tokyo, and London.
The Cronut was introduced on May 10, 2013 at Ansel's bakery, Dominique Ansel Bakery, in New York's Soho neighborhood. On the same night, a blogger from Grub Street, the online restaurant blog from New York magazine, reported on the new pastry. The post resulted in much interest and online circulation, and by the third day, a line of over 100 people had formed outside the shop to buy it. Leading to the Cronut being named by TIME magazine as one of the best "extremely fun" inventions of 2013 .
Within nine days of introducing the pastry to the Bakery's menu, Ansel filed for a trademark for the "Cronut" name.
Dominique Ansel released an At-Home Cronut Recipe in his cookbook, Dominique Ansel: The Secret Recipes, in 2015, for bakers to attempt in their own homes. Like the original pastry made at Ansel's bakeries, the process also takes three days to make.
In July 2013, Dominique Ansel Bakery launched a series of charitable campaigns with the Cronut to benefit the Food Bank for New York City. The Cronut Project campaign, sponsored by Dominique Ansel and three staffmembers at BBH, benefited the Food Bank for New York City by raising over US$6,000 in six days with only twelve Cronut pastries.
In September 2013, Dominique Ansel Bakery partnered with Shake Shack to offer Cronut Hole Concretes, featuring Cronut Holes and brown butter caramel custard. Hundreds lined up as early as 4 a.m. for a chance to purchase one of these 1000 concretes. All proceeds, over $5,300, went to the NYPD Widows and Children Fund and Madison Square Park Conservancy.
At a live auction in October 2013 benefiting City Harvest (a New York City food rescue organization) Dominique Ansel, with auctioneer Nicholas Lowry and Questlove, auctioned a dozen freshly baked Cronut pastries for $14,000 in less than twenty minutes.
- Introducing the Cronut, a Doughnut-Croissant Hybrid That May Very Well Change Your Life - Grub Street New York
- "Meet the Cronut: Croissant-Donut Hybrid Takes Pastry World by Storm - ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. 2013-05-20. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Katie Little (2013-06-07). "Cronut Mania Spawns Imitators and a Trademark Rush". Cnbc.com. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- USPTO. "Cronut". Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- "Eureka! From Gone Girl to the selfie stick – how one great idea can change your life". The Guardian. November 6, 2015.
- Shunk, Laura (2013-12-04). "Cronut Wizard Dominique Ansel: "I Want to Make the World of Pastry Exciting"". Blogs.villagevoice.com. Archived from the original on 2014-02-13. Retrieved 2014-02-26.
- Merwin, Hugh (May 9, 2013). "Introducing the Cronut, a Doughnut-Croissant Hybrid That May Very Well Change Your Life". Grub Street.
- Staff, TIME (2013-11-13). "The 25 Best Inventions of the Year 2013". TIME. Archived from the original on 2018-01-17. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- Brendan O'Connar (May 8, 2015). "The Mysterious Persistence of the Cronut". New York Times.
- "The 'Cronut'…Er, That's the 'Doughssant'…Has Arrived In St. Louis « CBS St. Louis". Stlouis.cbslocal.com. 2013-07-08. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Tenny Tatusian Cronut in LA: Semi Sweet Bakery to introduce the Crullant Los Angeles Times-Jun 27, 2013
- 'Cronut' craze has made it to Jacksonville June 28, 2013 FCN
- A homemade version of the Cronut Minneapolis Star Tribune-Jun 26, 2013
- "Good Food - From cronut to zonut, pastry fever comes to Sydney". Smh.com.au. 2013-06-14. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- "Where to get cronuts in London". 2013-08-23. Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- "Dominique Ansel's At-Home Cronut". ABC News. Retrieved 2016-07-05.
- Want A Cronut? Donate To A Food Bank | Fast Company | Business + Innovation
- "The Cronut Project". Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- "Hundreds line up at Shake Shack for Cronut Hole Concrete, mix of frozen custard and cinnamon-sugar cronut holes". New York: NY Daily News. 2013-09-17. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Tishgart, Sierra (2013-10-23). "Someone Paid $14,000 for a Dozen Cronuts - Grub Street New York". Grubstreet.com. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Jen Chung in Food on Oct 23, 2013 1:41 pm (2013-10-23). "A Dozen Cronuts Sold For $14,000". Gothamist. Archived from the original on 2013-12-03. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Tejal Rao (2013-05-10). "The Cronut Is a Doughnut-Croissant Love Child". The Village Voice. Retrieved 2014-08-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cronut.|