List of years in television
(Redirected from 1960s in television)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1930: Baird installs a television at 10 Downing Street, London, the British Prime Minister's residence. On July 14, Prime Minister Ramsay MacDonald and his family use it to watch the first ever television drama, The Man with the Flower in His Mouth.
- 1931: Allen B. DuMont perfects long-lasting reliable cathode ray tubes later used for television reception. TV reaches the Soviet Union and France.
- 1932: The BBC starts a regular public television broadcasting service in the UK.
- 1933: The first television revue, Looking In, is broadcast on the BBC. The musical revue featured the Paramount Astoria dancing girls. Broadcast live by the BBC using John Logie Baird's 30-line mechanical television system, part of this performance was recorded onto a 7" aluminum disc using a primitive home recording process called Silvatone. This footage, which runs to just under four minutes, is the oldest surviving recording of broadcast television.
- 1934: Philo Farnsworth demonstrates a non-mechanical television system. The agreement for joint experimental transmissions by the BBC and John Logie Baird's company comes to an end. First 30 Line Mechanical Television Test Transmissions commence in April in Brisbane Australia conducted by Thomas Elliott and Dr Val McDowall.
- 1935: First regular scheduled TV broadcasts in Germany by the TV Station Paul Nipkow. The final transmissions of John Logie Baird's 30-line television system are broadcast by the BBC. First TV broadcasts in France on February 13 on Paris PTT Vision.
- 1936: The 1936 Summer Olympics becomes the first Olympic Games to be broadcast on television.
- 1937: The BBC Television Service broadcasts the world's first televised Shakespeare play, a thirty-minute version of Twelfth Night, and the first football match, Arsenal F.C. vs. Arsenal reserves.
- 1938: DuMont Laboratories manufactures and sells the first all-electronic television sets to the public. Baird gives the first public demonstration of color projection television. The BBC broadcasts the world's first ever television science fiction (R.U.R.), and television crime series (Telecrime); in one of the lengthiest experimental television broadcasts, the BBC broadcasts a 90-minute version of Edmond Rostand's Cyrano de Bergerac, starring Leslie Banks, Constance Cummings, and James Mason.
- 1939: The BBC suspends its television service owing to the outbreak of the Second World War. The 1939 New York World's Fair was broadcast. Japan is the first Asian country to air television.
- 1940: the American Federal Communications Commission, (FCC), holds public hearings on television
- 1941: First television advertisements aired. The first official, paid television advertisement was broadcast in the United States on July 1, 1941 over New York station WNBT (now WNBC) before a baseball game between the Brooklyn Dodgers and Philadelphia Phillies. The announcement was for Bulova watches.
- 1942: FCC terminates all American television broadcasting because of the war; DuMont petitions FCC to resume broadcasting and receives approval
- 1943: Hänsel und Gretel is the first complete opera to be broadcast on television, but only in New York; first (experimental) telecast of Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol. Many more telecasts of the story will follow in later years, but until film begins to be used on television, no two of the television versions of the story will have the same casts.
- 1944: American Broadcasting Company, (ABC), is formed.
- 1945: National Broadcasting Company (NBC) begins the first regularly scheduled television network service in the United States.
- 1946: RCA demonstrates all-electronic color television system; the DuMont Television Network begins broadcasting.
- 1947: First broadcast of Howdy Doody, Kraft Television Theatre and Meet the Press; the World Series is broadcast live for the first time; the 1947 Tournament of Roses Parade becomes the very first parade ever televised.
- 1948: First broadcast of The Ed Sullivan Show and Texaco Star Theater
- 1949: First broadcast of The Lone Ranger, Crusader Rabbit and Mama; the first Emmy Awards are given.
- 1950: First broadcast of Come Dancing, Broadway Open House, Your Show of Shows, Sua vida me pertence and What's My Line?; Advert: Smokey Bear: YOU can prevent forest fires; Cuba is the first Caribbean country to receive TV; Brazil is the first South American country to receive TV; Nielsen Media Research begins to provide television ratings data; Jack Benny and Burns & Allen move from radio to TV; Bob Hope appears in his first TV special.
- 1951: The first broadcast of live United States transcontinental television takes place in San Francisco, California from the Japanese Peace Treaty Conference. First broadcast of I Love Lucy, See It Now, Dragnet, the Hallmark Hall of Fame, Search for Tomorrow, Love of Life, and The Roy Rogers Show
- 1952: First broadcast of Today (NBC), This Is Your Life, Omnibus, and Flower Pot Men; Hockey Night in Canada and The Guiding Light move from radio to TV; Adverts: Everyone Loves a Slinky and Kellogg's Frosted Flakes Tony the Tiger.
- 1953: First broadcast of Panorama; the coronation of Elizabeth II is the first of its kind to be broadcast on television.
- 1954: First broadcast of The Tonight Show, Father Knows Best, Disneyland and Lassie; NTSC video standard for color television is introduced, and National Educational Television (NET) is launched.
- 1955: First broadcast of The Honeymooners, The Mickey Mouse Club, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Sunday Night at the London Palladium, The Benny Hill Show, The Sooty Show, Gunsmoke and Captain Kangaroo; ITV launches in the UK; millions of viewers watch the grand opening of Disneyland in California.
- 1956: First broadcast of The Edge of Night, As the World Turns, The Price Is Right, Playhouse 90, the Eurovision Song Contest and Hancock's Half Hour; Advert: PG Tips' The Tipps Family
- 1957: First broadcast of Perry Mason, Have Gun — Will Travel, Leave It to Beaver, Senda prohibida and Carosello
- 1958: First broadcast of Blue Peter, Quatermass and the Pit, The Donna Reed Show, Moonlight Mask, and The Huckleberry Hound Show; the quiz show scandals wipe out The $64,000 Question and Twenty-One.
- 1959: First broadcast of The Twilight Zone, Telejornal (main news broadcast of Portugal's public television, still running to this day), Rocky and His Friends, The Untouchables, Rawhide and Bonanza (which runs for fourteen years); Advert: Trix Rabbit
- 1960: First broadcast of The Andy Griffith Show, The Flintstones, and Coronation Street; Advert: Rice Krispies' Snap, Crackle and Pop; American presidential candidates John F. Kennedy Richard M. Nixon debate live on television.
- 1961: First broadcast of The Avengers, The Defenders, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Morecambe and Wise Show and Car 54, Where Are You?
- 1962: First broadcast of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, The Beverly Hillbillies, Steptoe and Son, The Jetsons, University Challenge, Elgar, That Was The Week That Was, The Late Late Show (Ireland) and Sábado Gigante; first satellite television relayed by Telstar.
- 1963: First broadcast of General Hospital, The Fugitive, Astro Boy, The Outer Limits and Doctor Who; Martin Luther King Jr. addresses his famous I Have a Dream speech to the world; The world watches in horror over the Assassination of John F. Kennedy.
- 1964: First broadcast of Gilligan's Island, The Munsters, Bewitched, The Man from U.N.C.L.E, The Addams Family, Top of the Pops, Match of the Day, Jeopardy!, Jonny Quest, and the Up series; Advert: Lucky Charms' Lucky the Leprechaun; The Beatles appear on The Ed Sullivan Show.
- 1965: First broadcast of Days of Our Lives, Get Smart, Thunderbirds, The Dean Martin Show, Hogan's Heroes, Lost in Space, Till Death Us Do Part, A Charlie Brown Christmas (the first Peanuts TV special), Des chiffres et des lettres, Tomorrow's World, The Magic Roundabout and The War Game; Advert: Pillsbury Doughboy; Nigeria is the first African country to receive TV.
- 1966: First broadcast of Star Trek, Batman (the live-action TV series), The Monkees, Dark Shadows, Ultra Series, That Girl, Cathy Come Home, and Mission: Impossible; Advert: Happiness is a cigar called Hamlet; England win the World Cup Final, seen by tens of millions.
- 1967: First broadcast of The Carol Burnett Show, The Prisoner, The Flying Nun, Speed Racer, The Phil Donahue Show and Ambassador Magma; Adverts: Cadbury's Milk Tray Man, Birds Eye's Captain Birdseye and Beanz Meanz Heinz; PAL and SECAM colour standards introduced in Europe, with BBC2 making their first colour broadcasts.
- 1968: First broadcast of 60 Minutes, One Life to Live, Dad's Army, Julia, Columbo, Elvis, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, The Banana Splits, Hawaii Five-O, Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In and Adam-12; Advert: Keebler Elves
- 1969: First broadcast of Sesame Street, Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!, On the Buses, The Brady Bunch, Clangers, Nu, pogodi! and Monty Python's Flying Circus; Apollo 11 Moon landing broadcast live worldwide; completion of Fernsehturm Berlin.
- 1970: First broadcast of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Odd Couple, Monday Night Football, The Adventures of Rupert Bear and All My Children; PBS is launched.
- 1971: First broadcast of All in the Family, Kamen Rider, The Old Grey Whistle Test, Chespirito, The Two Ronnies, The Generation Game and Parkinson
- 1972: first broadcast of M*A*S*H, Emmerdale, Mastermind, Kamiondžije, El Chavo, Rainbow, El Chapulín Colorado, The Bob Newhart Show, Great Performances, and Maude; HBO is launched.
- 1973: First broadcast of The Ascent of Man, Moonbase 3, The Wombles, The Young and the Restless, An American Family, Ein Herz und eine Seele, Seventeen Moments of Spring, Last of the Summer Wine and The World at War; Adverts: Hovis' Boy on Bike, Nestlé's Quicky the Nesquik Bunny; the Duracell Bunny and the Tetley Tea Folk
- 1974: First broadcast of Chico and the Man, Derrick, Happy Days, Little House on the Prairie, Police Woman, Porridge, Rhoda, Good Times, The Rockford Files and Tiswas; Adverts: Kool-Aid Man and Smash Martians; Richard M. Nixon announces his resignation on live television.
- 1975: First broadcast of Starsky & Hutch, Baretta, Barney Miller, Fawlty Towers, Good Morning America, One Day at a Time, Saturday Night Live, Space: 1999, The Jeffersons, The Naked Civil Servant, Welcome Back, Kotter, Wheel of Fortune and Wonder Woman; Sony introduces the Betamax home video tape recorder.
- 1976: First broadcast of The Muppet Show, I, Claudius, Grlom u jagode, Loriot, Austin City Limits, Charlie's Angels, Family Feud, The Gong Show, Laverne and Shirley, and Nuts in May; Adverts: Cadbury's Caramel Bunny, Sugar Puffs' Honey Monster, BT's Buzby and the Andrex Puppy; videocassette recorders go on sale; completion of CN Tower.
- 1977: First broadcast of Abigail's Party, CHiPs, Eight Is Enough, ¿Qué Pasa, USA?, Roots, Soap, It'll Be Alright on the Night, Lou Grant, Hungarian Folktales, Three's Company, Top Gear and Live from the Met
- 1978: First broadcast of An Ordinary Miracle, Abarembo Shogun, Battlestar Galactica, Dallas, Diff'rent Strokes, The Incredible Hulk, Fantasy Island, Grange Hill, Matador, Mork & Mindy, Pennies from Heaven, Taxi, Future Boy Conan and Deeply Regretted By...
- 1979: First broadcast of Benson, Blue Remembered Hills, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Hart to Hart, Knots Landing, Life on Earth, Antiques Roadshow, Los Ricos También Lloran, Real People, Worzel Gummidge, The Dukes of Hazzard, The Facts of Life, You Can't Do That on Television, The Meeting Place Cannot Be Changed, The Very Same Munchhausen, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Arabela; ESPN and Nickelodeon are launched.
- 1980: First broadcast of Berlin Alexanderplatz, Magnum PI, Nightline, BBC Children in Need, Vruć vetar, Strumpet City and Yes Minister; Advert: Grey Poupon's "Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?; Cable News Network (CNN) is launched.
- 1981: First broadcast of The Smurfs, Hill Street Blues, Urusei Yatsura, The People's Court, Wetten, dass..?, Dynasty, Postman Pat, Falcon Crest, Only Fools and Horses and Brideshead Revisited; Adverts: Slip-Slop-Slap; MTV launched; hundreds of millions watch Prince Charles marry Lady Diana Spencer.
- 1982: First broadcast of Cheers, Knight Rider, Family Ties, Countdown, Remington Steele, Brookside, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, Chiquilladas, The Snowman, Boys from the Blackstuff, Newhart and St. Elsewhere; Channel 4 (UK) and The Weather Channel launched.
- 1983: First broadcast of The A-Team, The Day After, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Fraggle Rock, Oshin, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, Reading Rainbow, Press Your Luck, The Joy of Painting, An Englishman Abroad, Blackadder and Terrahawks; Adverts: Yellow Pages' J. R. Hartley and Apple Computers' 1984; Disney Channel launched.
- 1984: First broadcast of Airwolf, Blue Thunder, Murder, She Wrote, Miami Vice, Who's the Boss?, Top lista nadrealista, The Cosby Show, The Transformers, Voltron, Night Court, Tales from the Darkside, Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends, La piovra, Santa Barbara, Heimat and The Jewel in the Crown; A&E and Canal+ launched .
- 1985: First broadcast of MacGyver, Growing Pains, ThunderCats, Neighbours, Mr. Belvedere, Larry King Live, Edge of Darkness, Winter Evening in Gagra, The Max Headroom Show, EastEnders and The Golden Girls; the Discovery Channel is established; the first WrestleMania event is broadcast.
- 1986: First broadcast of The Oprah Winfrey Show, Perfect Strangers, Double Dare, Designing Women, Malgudi Days, Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin, Dragon Ball, Takeshi's Castle, Vasko de Gama from Rupcha Village, Casualty, Alternatywy 4, Pee-wee's Playhouse, Saint Seiya, The Singing Detective and Pingu; Adverts: Scottish Widows' The Scottish Widow, Cheetos' Chester Cheetah and The California Raisins; the Fox Broadcasting Company, (Fox), is launched.
- 1987: First broadcast of Full House, DuckTales, Headbangers Ball, Thirtysomething, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, ChuckleVision, Ramayan, Fireman Sam, Inspector Morse, The Bold and the Beautiful, Married... with Children, Star Trek: The Next Generation and 21 Jump Street (TV series); Advert: This is Your Brain on Drugs
- 1988: First broadcast of Roseanne, Mystery Science Theater 3000, In the Heat of the Night, Murphy Brown, Yo! MTV Raps, Garfield and Friends, America's Most Wanted, The Wonder Years and Mahabharat; TNT, (Turner Network Television), is launched; first LCD televisions go on sale; a writers' strike disrupts U.S. television for five months.
- 1989: First broadcast of The Simpsons, Baywatch, Seinfeld, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Saved By The Bell, American Gladiators, Dekalog, Wallace and Gromit, Hey Dude, Red Dwarf, America's Funniest Home Videos, Quantum Leap, COPS, Agatha Christie's Poirot, Shining Time Station, Family Matters, Coach and Inside Edition; Adverts: British Airways' Face, Toys R Us' Magical Place and Milky Way's Red Car and Blue Car; CNBC and Eurosport launched.
- 1990: First broadcast of TaleSpin, Beverly Hills, 90210, In Living Color, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Wings, Law & Order, Tiny Toon Adventures, Twin Peaks, Bobby's World, Mr. Bean and Northern Exposure
- 1991: First broadcast of Home Improvement, Darkwing Duck, Step By Step, Nummer 28, Super Mario World, The Julekalender, Æon Flux, Doug, Rugrats, The Ren & Stimpy Show and The Jerry Springer Show
- 1992: First broadcast of The Larry Sanders Show, Mad About You, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Batman: The Animated Series, Barney & Friends, Martin, The Real World, Cha Cha Cha, YuYu Hakusho, Bananas in Pyjamas, Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon, Melrose Place, X-Men: The Animated Series and Absolutely Fabulous; Advert: Tango Man; Cartoon Network is launched.
- 1993: First broadcast of Late Show with David Letterman, Animaniacs, Beavis and Butt-head, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, WWE Monday Night Raw, NYPD Blue, Walker, Texas Ranger, Rocko's Modern Life, Boy Meets World, Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, Cracker, The X-Files, seaQuest DSV, The Nanny, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Ricki Lake and Frasier
- 1994: First broadcast of Friends, Party of Five, The Kingdom, Under One Roof, Babylon 5, Inside the Actors Studio, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Spider-Man: The Animated Series, The Tick, ER, All That and Gullah Gullah Island; Turner Classic Movies is launched; several TV stations in the US switch their affiliates until 1996.
- 1995: First broadcast of Father Ted, NileCity 105,6, Star Trek: Voyager, The Wayans Bros., Triple Nine, WCW Monday Nitro, Road Rules, The Drew Carey Show, JAG, El y Ella, Sevcec and O. J. Simpson murder trial televised; Adverts: Coca-Cola's Holidays are Coming, M&M's Spokescandies and Walkers Crisps Welcome Home; The History Channel is launched.
- 1996: First broadcast of Jamais deux sans toi...t, Percy Tårar, Detective Conan, The Crocodile Hunter, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Blue's Clues, Hey Arnold!, Spin City, Kenan and Kel, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (hosted by Craig Kilborn until 1999), Judge Judy, Arthur, Dexter's Laboratory, Our Friends in the North and Everybody Loves Raymond; Adverts: Churchill Nodding Dog and The Famous Grouse's Gilbert the Grouse; Fox News is launched; the first high-definition television broadcasts; the first DVDs and DVD players go on sale.
- 1997: First broadcast of Pokémon, Fóstbræður, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Oz, Un gars, une fille, King of the Hill, South Park, Teletubbies, Alles Kan Beter, Johnny Bravo, Daria and I'm Alan Partridge; Advert: Rachel Leigh Cook's Brain on Drugs; first plasma televisions on sale; millions watch the funeral of Princess Diana.
- 1998: First broadcast of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, Dawson's Creek, Will & Grace, Charmed, One Piece, Bob The Builder, The Powerpuff Girls, Cowboy Bebop, That '70s Show, Robot Wars, Sex and the City, WCW Thunder, The Royle Family and The King of Queens; Advert: Levi's Flat Eric; Kingston Communications launches the first major video-on-demand service.
- 1999: First broadcast of The Sopranos, Family Guy, SpongeBob SquarePants, Futurama, The West Wing, Digimon: Digital Monsters, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, WWE SmackDown, The Amanda Show, Big Brother (Netherlands), Walking with Dinosaurs, Yo soy Betty, la fea, Freaks and Geeks, Trick and Angel; Adverts: Budweiser's Whassup? and Guinness' Surfer; first digital video recorders go on sale.
- 2000: First broadcast of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Malcolm in the Middle, MTV Cribs, Survivor, Jackass, Da Ali G Show, The Weakest Link (UK), 106 & Park, Dora The Explorer, Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Gilmore Girls; Adverts: GEICO's The Gecko, John West's Bear Fight and Halifax's Singing Staff
- 2001: First broadcast of 24, Scrubs, Band of Brothers, Sangdo, Merchants of Joseon, The Secret Life of Us, Fear Factor, The Fairly OddParents, Invader Zim, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, The Office (UK), Samurai Jack, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Lizzie McGuire, Harry Hill's TV Burp, How It's Made, Smallville and Six Feet Under; Advert: ITV Digital's Monkey; The world witnesses the September 11 terrorist attacks on New York City and Washington. Regular programming is suspended in order to bring up to date coverage of events relating to the attacks.
- 2002: First broadcast of American Idol, CSI: Miami, Kim Possible, The Shield, City of Men, Extreme Makeover, I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!, The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, Madventures, Firefly, Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway, 100 Greatest Britons, Winter Sonata, The Basil Brush Show, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, George Lopez, The Wire, and Naruto
- 2003: First broadcast of Two and a Half Men, One Tree Hill, The O.C., That's So Raven, Teen Titans, Chappelle's Show, Reno 911!, Mythbusters, Dae Jang Geum, NCIS, Jimmy Kimmel Live, All In, Little Britain, Peep Show, Arrested Development, Los Serrano, The Ellen DeGeneres Show and The Venture Bros.; Adverts: Honda's Cog and Peugeot 206 Sculptor
- 2004: First broadcast of Bleach, Desperate Housewives, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Battlestar Galactica, Hassan and Habibah, Peppa Pig, Drake & Josh, LazyTown, Super Girl, Veronica Mars, Entourage, Drawn Together, Hell's Kitchen, The Apprentice, The Biggest Loser, Lost and The X Factor; Advert: "Piracy. It's a crime's" You Wouldn't Steal a Car; Euro1080 launches the first high-definition television broadcast.
- 2005: First broadcast of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Grey's Anatomy, Spiral, Noghtechin, Dancing with the Stars, Ben 10, My Name is Earl, The Closer, So You Think You Can Dance, Bones, The Colbert Report, Robot Chicken, American Dad!, Everybody Hates Chris, How I Met Your Mother, Criminal Minds, Deal or No Deal, Supernatural, Prison Break, Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf, My Lovely Sam Soon, Sto Para Pente, Avatar: The Last Airbender and Doctor Who returns to Television; Adverts: Erin Esurance, Guinness' noitulovE, Carlton Draught: Big Ad and Citroën C4 Dancing Robot
- 2006: First broadcast of High School Musical, Türkisch für Anfänger, Planet Earth, Jumong, Heroes, Psych, Dancing on Ice, Dexter, Friday Night Lights, America's Got Talent, Hannah Montana, Top Chef, Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe, Code Geass and 30 Rock; the Netherlands is the first country to move to digital television; France 24 launched; HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc launched; The WB and UPN shut down and merge to become The CW.
- 2007: First broadcast of The Big Bang Theory, Chowder, Gossip Girl, iCarly, Shaun the Sheep, Burn Notice, The Golden Path, Pushing Daisies, Wizards of Waverly Place, Golden Bride, Phineas and Ferb, The Killing, Chuck, Mad Men, and Damages; Adverts: Cadbury's Gorilla and the John Lewis Christmas advert; a writers' strike shuts down US scripted programming in November.
- 2008: First broadcast of Breaking Bad, The Mentalist, Sons of Anarchy, Total Drama, Wipeout, True Blood, Fringe, Underbelly, The Inbetweeners, Radio Arvyla and 19 Kids and Counting; Advert: Discovery Channel's I Love the World; first 3D TV broadcasts; the historical miniseries John Adams premieres on HBO and wins a record-breaking thirteen Emmys.
- 2009: First broadcast of Modern Family, Pawn Stars, Cake Boss, Tosh.0, Jersey Shore, Castle, Horrible Histories, The Vampire Diaries, The Good Wife, Big Time Rush, Cougar Town, Archer, Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, The Middle, Glee, Parks and Recreation, Community and Misfits; Advert: Compare the Meerkat
- 2010: First broadcast of Adventure Time, The Ricky Gervais Show, Glass Home, Borgen, Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Solsidan, Pretty Little Liars, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Boardwalk Empire, Mike & Molly, Parenthood, Louie, Conan, The Great British Bake Off, Treme, Luther, Regular Show, Good Luck Charlie, Victorious, The Walking Dead, Blue Bloods, and The Voice (Holland); Advert: Old Spice's The Man Your Man Could Smell Like; Tonight Show conflict between Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien
- 2011: First broadcast of Game of Thrones, Black Mirror, Bob's Burgers, Leyla ile Mecnun, Once Upon a Time, American Horror Story, The Killing, Austin & Ally, Suits, Teen Wolf, Shameless, Grimm, 2 Broke Girls, New Girl and Homeland; IBM's Watson competes against former champions Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings on Jeopardy!, millions watch Prince William marry Catherine Middleton, President Obama announces death of Osama bin Laden on live television.
- 2012: First broadcast of Duck Dynasty, Satyamev Jayate, Girls, Scandal, Nashville, Državni posao, Call the Midwife, Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States, House of Lies, Veep, Arrow, The Mindy Project, Omar, Key & Peele, The Legend of Korra, Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, Gravity Falls and Kitchen; Adverts: White House Black Market's Coco Rocha Tap Dancing and EDF Energy's Zingy; 2012 London Olympics becomes the most-watched event of the year.
- 2013: First broadcast of Rick and Morty, Steven Universe, The Americans, Peaky Blinders, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Mom, The Goldbergs, The Following, House of Cards (which debuts on Netflix rather than cable or commercial), Bates Motel, Gogglebox, Broadchurch, Hannibal, Vikings, Teen Titans Go!, Orange is the New Black, Liv and Maddie and Brooklyn Nine-Nine; Advert: 3 Mobile's Moonwalking Pony
- 2014: First broadcast of The Flash, True Detective, Black-ish, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, Fargo, BoJack Horseman, Henry Danger, Gotham, Scorpion, Gomorrah, The 100, Outlander, Lucha Underground, Transparent, Broad City, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Silicon Valley, The Leftovers, Jane the Virgin, Chrisley Knows Best and Girl Meets World; Adverts: Stand Up to Cancer's It's Payback Time
- 2015: First broadcast of Better Call Saul, Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Danger Mouse, Empire, Narcos, The Late Late Show with James Corden, Daredevil, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Lucifer, Poldark, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Supergirl, Love Island, Mr. Robot, The Last Man on Earth, Master of None, Deutschland 83, Lip Sync Battle and Superstore; Adverts: Trivago Girl and British Gas's Wilbur the Penguin; Super Bowl XLIX breaks the record for most-watched program in the history of American television; Mayweather–Pacquiao boxing match is history's biggest pay-per-view fight; ten are killed during a helicopter crash during filming of reality series Dropped.
- 2016: First broadcast of Stranger Things, The Night Of, The Loud House, War & Peace, Mann Mayal, Atlanta, This Is Us, The Good Place, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, American Crime Story, Insecure, Milo Murphy's Law, Westworld, Tales of Arcadia, Victoria, DC's Legends of Tomorrow and The Crown; Advert: Channel 4's We're the Superhumans
- 2017: First broadcast of Unikitty!, American Gods, Star Trek: Discovery, DuckTales (2017), Riverdale, Big Little Lies, The Defenders,, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, The End of the F***ing World, Big Mouth, The Handmaid's Tale, The Deuce, The Orville, GLOW, Counterpart, Legion and A Series of Unfortunate Events; At the 89th Academy Awards, the film Moonlight is announced the correct winner for Best Picture, after actor Warren Beatty announces La La Land, another acclaimed film, the winner by mistake on national television.
- 2018: First broadcast of: The Circle, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, Barry, Bodyguard, Pose, Maniac, A Very English Scandal, Succession, Disenchantment, A.P. Bio, Kidding, Lodge 49, Forever, Homecoming; millions watch Prince Harry marry Meghan Markle.
- 2019: First broadcast of Russian Doll, Infinity Train
(No answers until 2020s.)
- Timeline of the BBC
- List of years in American television
- List of years in Australian television
- List of years in Belgian television
- List of years in Brazilian television
- List of years in British television
- List of years in Canadian television
- List of years in Danish television
- List of years in Dutch television
- List of years in Estonian television
- List of years in French television
- List of years in German television
- List of years in Hong Kong television
- List of years in Irish television
- List of years in Italian television
- List of years in Japanese television
- List of years in Mexican television
- List of years in New Zealand television
- List of years in Norwegian television
- List of years in Pakistani television
- List of years in Polish television
- List of years in Portuguese television
- List of years in Scottish television
- List of years in South African television
- List of years in Spanish television
- List of years in Swedish television
- List of years in Turkish television
- List of years in Indian television