|Launched||Cartoon Network Too block
4 September 2006
Boomerang UK block
24 May 2007
Italy and Spain
1 December 2012
|Closed||Cartoon Network Too block
23 May 2007
30 June 2013
31 December 2014
|Owned by||Turner Broadcasting System Europe, Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific, Turner International India Pvt Ltd, Turner International Australia
(Time Warner), Sky Italia
(21st Century Fox)
|Picture format||576i (4:3 SDTV)|
0.11% (September 2015 , BARB)
|Slogan||It's Kaleidoscopic! (2007 to 2013)|
|Sister channel(s)||Cartoon Network
|Digital (in Italy)||LCN 46
|VuTV||Channel 238 on Freeview (UK)|
|Virgin Media||Channel 706|
|Virgin Media Ireland||Channel 618|
|Sky Go||Watch live
(UK and Ireland only)
|Virgin TV Anywhere||Watch live (UK only)|
Cartoonito is a pre-school brand owned and distributed by Turner Broadcasting System Europe Ltd, available as dedicated television channels in the United Kingdom and Italy, and also as a branded block of content on Boomerang across Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. Cartoonito is available as a dedicated channel in Asia, owned and operated by Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific, Inc. The brand is aimed at young children under the age of 6 years.
|This section relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (February 2014)|
Cartoonito was originally a programming block on Cartoon Network Too with it airing between 06:00 and 15:00. It started on 4 September 2006 with it airing for the last time (as a block on CN Too) on 23 May 2007 as it got its own channel as a replacement for the original version of Cartoon Network Too. As it was no longer a block on Cartoon Network Too, it expanded its broadcasting hours to 03:00 until 19:00, timesharing with TCM 2, another UK-only spin-off channel from TCM.
In addition, the programming block agreements with Cartoon Network Too terminated, which made it 24 hours for the first time as it replaced Toonami as the current version. However, from September 2009 until March 2010, Boomerang gave up its morning programming for a new Cartoonito slot, terminating its 24-hour schedule which had been in place since 2001.
On 25 March 2010, Cartoonito was added to Virgin Media on channel 706. In early 2011, Cartoonito changed its hours to 04:00 until 20:00, and revamped its early hour schedule to include more pre-school orientated shows.
Despite TCM 2 closing on 13 August 2013 at 4:00am, and being replaced with TCM +1 later in the day, the British version of Cartoonito continued to only broadcast from 4:00am to 9:00pm.
- Angelmouse (7 January 2016)
- Baby Looney Tunes
- Bananas in Pyjamas
- Cartoonito Tales
- Chloe's Closet
- Fireman Sam
- Julius Jr. (6 April 2015)
- Krypto the Superdog
- Lazy Town
- Masha and the Bear
- Olly The Little White Van
- Pip Ahoy! (2 March 2015)
- Toot the Tiny Tugboat (2 March 2015)
- William's Wish Wellingtons (7 January 2016)
Turner Broadcasting System Europe had announced it would rollout its UK-based preschoolers' channel Cartoonito across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, increasing the brand's distribution to 125 million homes in 112 territories. The channel closed on 30 June 2013 in Spain, along with Cartoon Network, with its shows moving to Boing.
On 1 December 2012, Cartoonito launched in Asia Pacific in conjunction with its localized website. A key market upon launch is the Philippines, which began transmission initially in SD on the country's largest cable provider, SkyCable Cartoonito is available as part of its Metropack and on an a la carte basis via Skycable Select. Cartoonito was replaced by Boomerang on 1 January 2015.
India & Pakistan
Middle East and North Africa
In the MENA region, an Arabic-dedicated version of Cartoonito was launched as a morning block for Cartoon Network Arabic, broadcasting for seven days a week, starting from 4 September 2011. Simultaneously, Cartoonito is also available in English in the Middle East via the Cartoonito block on the pan-eastern European Boomerang channel. In early 2014, cartoonito stopped broadcasting on both Cartoon Network Arabic and the pan-eastern European Boomerang channel.
- Whittock, Jesse (21 April 2011). "Cartoonito spreads across EMEA". C21Media. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Dickson, Jeremy (27 November 2012). "Toonami and Cartoonito to bow in Asia December 1". Kidscreen. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- [dead link]
- "Virgin Media Expands Kids' Line-up with Cartoonito". Virgin Media. 1 March 2010.
- "Cartoonito TV Listings". TV Guide UK. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- RegularCapital (27 February 2015). "Boomerang UK And Cartoonito UK April 2015 Highlights" (Press release). Turner Broadcasting System Europe. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- RegularCapital (26 February 2015). Cartoonito UK Pip Ahoy! New Show Promo. YouTube. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- RegularCapital (1 March 2015). Cartoonito UK Toot The Tiny Tugboat New Show Promo. YouTube. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Turner Broadcasting to launch Cartoonito across EMEA". AMEinfo. 21 April 2011. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- "BBC's pre-school channel, CBeebies launches in the Philippines". BBC. 17 January 2011. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- [dead link]
- Franks, Nico (9 December 2014). "Turner throws Boomerang into Asia". C21Media. Retrieved 20 January 2015.