List of South American countries by population
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||This table may be more easily updated if the rank-order column (1,2,3) is removed (or separated). Alphabetical order may also help. Sort buttons order numbers: Help:Sorting.|
This is a list of the countries of South American countries and dependent territories by population, which is sorted by the 2015 mid-year normalized demographic projectionjss
(or dependent territory)
|July 1, 2015
|1||Brazil||204,519,000||49.36||0.86||1,750,000||81||207,762,000||June 26, 2017||Official population clock|
|2||Colombia||48,549,000||11.64||1.16||555,000||60||49,269,000||June 26, 2017||Official population clock|
|3||Argentina||43,132,000||10.41||1.09||463,000||64||43,590,368||July 1, 2016||Official estimate|
|4||Peru||31,153,000||7.52||1.10||338,000||64||31,488,625||June 30, 2016||Official estimate|
|7||Ecuador||16,279,000||3.93||1.57||252,000||44||16,787,900||June 26, 2017||Official population clock|
|10||Uruguay||3,310,000||0.80||0.18||6,000||382||3,480,222||June 30, 2016||Official estimate|
|11||Guyana||747,000||0.18||0.00||0||-||747,884||September 15, 2012||Preliminary 2012 census result|
|12||Suriname||560,000||0.14||1.08||6,000||64||541,638||August 13, 2012||Final 2012 census result|
|13||French Guiana||262,000||0.06||2.75||7,000||26||239,648||January 1, 2012||Official estimate|
|14||Falkland Islands (UK)||3,000||0.00||0.00||0||-||2,563||April 15, 2012||Final 2012 census result|
- Calculated, when available, from the latest national censuses or most recent official estimates (many of which are cited in their respective column), using the exponential formula shown on the List of countries by past and future population article. This is done to normalize the different populations to a unique date, so that they are really comparable.
- It corresponds to the following formula: projection2015/projection2014x100-100.
- It corresponds to the calculation: projection2015*annual_growth/100.
- It corresponds to the formula: LN(2)/LN(growth/100+1), which produces exactly the same result as LOG10(2)/LOG10(growth/100+1).
- Islands claimed by Argentina. Possessed by the British from 5 January 1833, it was briefly captured by the Argentinian forces during the Falklands War (April 2-June 14, 1982)