Ministry of National Security of Azerbaijan
|Milli Təhlükəsizlik Nazirliyi|
|Formed||1 November, 1991|
|Dissolved||14 December 2015|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Azerbaijan|
The Azerbaijan Ministry of National Security (MNS, Azerbaijani: Milli Təhlukəsizlik Nazirliyi) was an intelligence agency within the cabinet of Azerbaijan. The MNS was a central executive authority which carries out the competencies referred to it by the legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan in the field of obtaining and analyzing information about foreign affairs, corporations, individuals. The MNS also carried out intelligence, counter-intelligence, protection of state secret, revealing, preventing, precluding and detection of crimes. On 14 December 2015, President Ilham Aliyev signed a decree dissolving the ministry and creating a National Security Service with domestic duties and a foreign intelligence service.
Ministry of National Security of Azerbaijan was established on the material-technical and personnel basis of the Soviet Committee of State Security (KGB) on November 1, 1991. Within a short period of time, representatives of other nationalities have left the Ministry and Azerbaijan, the process of staffing Ministry only by the national specialists had begun. Not only the name and the personnel of the security body had changed, but primary change the Ministry faced was its mission and duties.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Ministry is guided by the Constitution of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the laws of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the decrees of President, the decisions and decrees of the Cabinet of Ministers, the international treaties which Azerbaijan is the part, its statute and other normative-legal acts of the MNS.
The MNS headquarters were in the following cities:
Current MNS cases
- In 2008, the MNS arrested a dozen of Al-Qaeda members who were involved in terrorist attack on Abu Bakr Mosque.
Republic of Azerbaijan (1991–2015)
Ministers of National Security of Azerbaijan
|№||President||Term of office||Political party||Government||Elected||Ref|
|Portrait||Name||Took Office||Left Office||Days|
|18 October 1991||17 May 1992||212||Independent
||1. Ayaz Mutallibov||1991|||
|1991 Azerbaijani Mil Mi-8 shootdown.|
|17 May 1992||3 June 1993||382||Azerbaijani Popular Front Party
|3 June 1993||15 October 1994||499||Azerbaijani Popular Front Party
||3. Abulfaz Elchibey||1993|||
|Imprisoned for life for coup d'état attempt in 1994, pardoned in 2002.|
|22 March 1995||23 July 2004||3411||New Azerbaijan Party
||4. Heydar Aliyev||1995|||
|1994 Baku Metro bombings; foiled 1995 Azeri coup d'état attempt.|
|23 July 2004||17 October 2015||7514||New Azerbaijan Party
||5. Ilham Aliyev||2004|||
|Operation Black Belt; Attack on Abu Bakr Mosque of Baku; Foiled 2007 Baku terrorist plot; Azerbaijan State Oil Academy shooting.|
- The history of the security bodies of Azerbaijan
- “Forest brothers” group accused in terrorist attack on Abu Bakr Mosque go on trial
- Azerbaijan security officers arrest 18 suspects in Baku mosque explosion
- Спецслужбы Азербайджана (Russian)
- "Azərbaycan xüsusi xidmət orqanlarının rəhbərləri". www.mns.gov.az (in Azerbaijani). Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- "Təhməzov Fəxrəddin Ayət oğlu: 1992 may -1993 iyun". www.mns.gov.az (in Azerbaijani). Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- "İmranov Nəriman Şamo oğlu: 1993 iyun -1994 oktyabr". www.mns.gov.az (in Azerbaijani). Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- "Abbasov Namiq Rəşid oğlu: 1994 oktyabr -2004 iyul". www.mns.gov.az (in Azerbaijani). Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- "MNS Profile. Eldar Mahmudov". Retrieved 2010-11-15.