ಶಿವಮೊಗ್ಗ ವಿಮಾನ ನಿಲ್ದಾಣ
|IATA: none – ICAO: none|
|Owner||Government of Karnataka|
|Elevation AMSL||615 m / 2,017 ft|
Shimoga Airport is a greenfield airport to be built at Sogane Village, 8.8 km (5.5 mi) from Shimoga and 8.2 km (5.1 mi) from Bhadravathi in Karnataka, India. The airport was to be built under Public–private partnership (PPP) with the Government of Karnataka (GoK). However, due to delays in project execution, the contract was terminated in January 2015. The Government intends to find another private partner to take up the project.
A team of experts from Airports Authority of India visited the two identified sites at Sogane near Shimoga and Nagarabavi Village near Ayanur on 4 April 2006. Of the two sites inspected by the AAI team, the one at Sogane was found most suitable due to its wind direction and velocity conditions. The only concern was that the land was uneven and needed to be levelled. The other site near Ayanur was found inadequate in width for the runway of the proposed airport
Nineteen companies, had shown interest in developing the airport when the Government had called for an Expression of Interest (EoI) to develop airports in Gulbarga, Bijapur and Shimoga. The project was awarded to a consortium of Maytas Infra Ltd), NCC Infrastructure Holdings Ltd (NCC) and VIE India Project Development and Holding on 15 November 2007, on a BOT basis. Concession period was to be 30 years, to be extended for a further period of 30 years, by Mutual Agreement.
Shimoga Airport Developers Pvt Ltd (SADPL), a Special Purpose Company, was established to sign the Project Development Agreement (PDA) with the Infrastructure Development Department (IDD) of the Government of Karnataka. The Shareholding pattern of Maytas Infra, NCC and VIE was 37%, 37% and 26% respectively in SADPL. The project development agreement was signed on 2 April 2008.
The foundation stone for the Phase I construction was laid by former Chief Minister of Karnataka, Shri B. S. Yeddyurappa on 20 June 2008. Due to a change in the project shareholding ratio, a Supplementary Development Agreement was signed on 21 December 2010. Bangalore-based company Regional Airport-Holdings International Limited (RAHI) acquired 22% in the project and overall management and financial control.
In January 2015, the government decided to annul the land allotment for Shimoga airport because of “indifference and infighting” among the promoters. As no construction work had begun at the Shivamogga airport, the government plans to re-tender the project.
Land acquisition and lease
The government had acquired 662.38 acres of land, and ₹ 58.3 million released for acquisition and development. Compensation for formers given, for private land ₹ 600,000 for an acre of dry land and ₹ 700,000 for an acre of wetland, and for farmers using government land ₹ 200,000 per acre. About 130 acres of private land and 530 acres of government land acquired for the project. Families living in the affected area were provided monetary compensation and alternate housing.
The Land Lease Deed signed on 21 December 2010 commits the lessee to the rent ₹ 20,232 per acre annually to the GoK (13.4 million). The lease rent will increase by 10% every three years during the lease period.
The total project cost was estimated at Rs. 2.30 billion.
Work on Phase I of the construction started on 12 April 2011. However, out of the proposed 3.1-km runway, only the work of levelling a 0.5-km stretch with boulders and concrete mixture was completed. After this, differences cropped up between the partners of the contractor and all work on the project was stopped.
- "Airport projects in four cities in limbo as promoters back out". Deccan Herald. 18 June 2013. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- "Kalaburagi airport project may go to PWD". Deccan Herald. 8 June 2015. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- Airport at Shimoga likely to come up at Sogane The Hindu, India's National Newspaper
- "Karnataka gets 19 EoIs for three airport projects". The Indian Express. 20 June 2007. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- C R Sukumar (1 September 2009). IL&FS may partner foreign firms to improve Maytas Infra position. livemint.com. Retrieved 2 September 2009.
- Shimoga Airport IL&FS Engineering Services
- Maytas, NCC sign pacts for Shimoga, Gulbarga airports The Hindu Business Line
- Maytas Infra led consortium to construct airport at Shimoga Moneycontrol, e-Eighteen.com Ltd.
- "Karnataka: Land allotments for Shimoga, Gulbarga airports annulled". The Hindu Business Line. 9 January 2015. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- Minor Airports - Shimoga Airport The Official Website of Infrastructure Development Department, Government of Karnataka
- Shimoga airport: compensation for landowners fixed The Hindu
- Government Order No. IDD 14 DIA 2007, Bangalore, dated 15.11.2007 The Official Website of Infrastructure Development Department, Government of Karnataka
- Work on Phase I of the construction
- "Work on Shimoga airport project yet to commence". The Hindu. 6 October 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2015.