This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Pleburan campus buildings
|Motto||Wiyata Hangreksa Gapuraning Nagara|
|Established||9 January 1957|
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Yos Johan Utama, SH., MHum.|
|1750 staff, 11 faculties|
|Students||38,503 (AY 2008)|
Tembalang Semarang 50239 Indonesia, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia|
|Affiliations||ASAIHL, AUAP, ASEA UNINET|
Diponegoro University (Indonesian: Universitas Diponegoro, abbreviated as Undip) is a public university in Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia. Founded in 1957 as a private university by the Semarang University Foundation, it is a pioneer of higher learning institutions in Indonesia and the first and oldest education corporation in Central Java. It is a member of IDGHE (the so-called Ivy League colleges) in Indonesia. Nationally, Undip is in 6th position in Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education's 2017 ranking and is one of the top 1000 universities in the world by the 2019 QS World University Rankings.
The establishment of Diponegoro University began in 1956, preceded by the establishment of the Semarang University Foundation. Its founding fathers were Imam Bardjo, Soedarto, Dan Sulaiman and Soesanto Kartoatmodjo.
Initially called Semarang University, the institution was renamed Diponegoro University in 1960 after it was granted state university accreditation by the Indonesian government. The name "Diponegoro" is taken from the Indonesian patriot who fought against Dutch colonialism in the early 19th century.
During the year 2000 UNDIP expanded its engineering and research capabilities on its Tembalang campus. In the 2007 SQS university rankings Diponegoro University was ranked 487th in the world's top 500 universities, an improvement from 495th position in 2006. All teachers and lecturers possess a Masters/PhD degree.
Undip has 11 official faculties and 1 postgraduate school.
- Faculty of Economics and Business
- Faculty of Social and Political Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Sciences
- Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- Faculty of Public Health
- Faculty of Animal Agriculture
- Faculty of Psychology
- Postgraduate School
Undip accepted 30% of applicants for the class of 2004, by the program PSSB, UMPTN for undergraduate. Admission to a course and research-based postgraduate programme requires at least a bachelor's degree, or equivalent, in the subject or related discipline. Programmes may require candidates to demonstrate readiness for postgraduate study through a specific standard of achievement. Programmes may specify relevant work experience as an additional admission requirement.
Doctoral degrees require a master's degree from any institutions of higher learning recognised by the Senate.
International applicants for admission to UNDIP's undergraduate program must have completed or are completing high school with a high qualification through the above methods. The medium of instruction for international classes at UNDIP is English. International students should understand the Indonesian language to be familiar with Indonesian culture. Applicants are expected to have achieved a minimum level of English proficiency to enable them to benefit from an UNDIP education.
However, on 25 August 2005, Susilo Wibowo, Semarang’s Diponegoro University university rector, announced that it had stopped admitting Malaysian students for the 2009-10 academic year. This was done despite Ministry of National Education urging the state-run school to lift the policy, claiming that "Never waver in a decision once it’s made. We know the consequences.” Malaysia have since announce that Diponegoro University is no longer included in the list of university recognised by the Malaysian government. The news was duly reported in University World News.
Undip is governed by one head rector, with four vice rectors. The head rector is the day-to-day administrator of Undip and is appointed by and responsible to the university.
- Tembalang Campus is the largest and the newest. Tembalang occupies about 213 hectares with an administrative center, Central library Widyapuraya, Engineering Faculty and facilitates, and School of Science.
- Pleburan Campus is the oldest campus since the existing campuses were merged in its early establishment. The campus occupies a seven-hectare area, with the School of Social Sciences, Magister and Doctorate Program and some operational units.
- Gunung Brintik Campus has the School of Medicine. It is near Dr. Kariadi Hospital.
- Teluk Awur Campus (60 hectares) is in Jepara, 70 km northeast Semarang. The campus is the home of the Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Science.
- Maskam (Masjid Kampus Undip) or Undip's official mosque is at Tembalang campus. It's surrounded by a natural environment and nearby central campus' area. The architecture is from 'pyramid' building and became one of the most unusual mosques in Semarang. Construction began in 2005 and finished in 2008.
- The ICT Center is twin buildings with modern architecture. The building is for International Office, Scholarship center, International Meeting Room, etc.
- Training Center is a public center for students and lectures.
- Rusunawa is the dormitory student building. The building has four twin blocks.
- Building A has 84 rooms with 252 students
- Buildings B, C and D have 96 rooms with 288 students with three persons per room.
- Undip Library System is centered in Widyapuraya Central Library in Tembalang Campus and comprises over 400 individual libraries and over 4000 volumes. Faculties have department libraries and literature from journal alumni.
- Undip Gas Station is at Diponegoro University area. It sponsored by Pertamina.
- Stadium is Rusunawa's neighbor. It in south Undip area. The stadium became the sport center of Undip students to participate in every sport event academically or non-academically.
- UKM Building is for students member activists and official public organization activities Diponegoro University.
- Michael Bambang Hartono (owner of PT Djarum)
- Robert Budi Hartono (owner of PT Djarum)
- Hendarman Supandji (Attorney General RI 2007–2010)
- Muladi (governor of the National Resilience Institute of Indonesia in 2005–2011)
- Soekarwo (Governor of East Java 2009–2014)
- Darmanto Jatman (Professor Emeritus of Psychology Faculty of Diponegoro University, humanist, philosopher and poet Indonesia)
- Anindya Kusuma Putri, Puteri Indonesia 2015 then Miss Universe 2015 Top 15
International publications and citations of Diponegoro University have been updated by searching in the scientific indexing, i.e., SCOPUS, SCIRUS, ISI WEB KNOWLEDGE, etc.
- Total student enrollment in August 2008
- "Association of Universities of Asia and the Pacific – List of the Members Universities". Auap.sut.ac.th. 2008-10-13. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Member Universities". Uibk.ac.at. Archived from the original on 2012-08-18. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Daftar 100 Peringkat Perguruan Tinggi Non-Politeknik di Indonesia tahun 2017". Kementerian Riset, Teknologi, dan Pendidikan Tinggi. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- Quacquarelli Symonds. https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2019. Retrieved 2018-06-12. Missing or empty
- admission requirement Post Graduate Program of Diponegoro University
- Malaysians Unwelcome At Local University
- Undip No longer Admits Students from Malaysia.
- University Warned Anti-Malaysian Policy Could Come Back to Haunt It
- University Insists on Malaysian Ban
- Malaysia Balas Singkirkan Undip.
- INDONESIA: Discrimination against foreign students.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Universitas Diponegoro.|