Logo of Wicked Weasel (Pty. Ltd.)
|Founded||Byron Bay, Australia|
|Founder||Peter T. Gifford|
Number of locations
|Products||Accessories, Bikinis, Lingerie, Swimwear and Underwear|
Number of employees
Wicked Weasel (Pty. Ltd.) is an Australian manufacturer of swimwear and lingerie for women. It is especially known for its microkinis. The company was founded in 1994 by Peter Gifford, formerly the bass player for Midnight Oil, and named after his girlfriend's nickname. Initially, the company's products were trial-marketed to Melbourne area strippers.
The first Wicked Weasel retail store was opened in Cairns in 1995, but it moved to Byron Bay the following year, where the company headquarters has remained since. Additional stores at Bondi and in Melbourne have been opened a number of times with inconsistent success. Wicked Weasel launched www.wickedweasel.com in mid-1999, making it the first Australian swimwear maker to sell online. By 2003, it was the largest Australian retailer of clothing via the internet. As of 2007, the website received over 100,000 unique visitors per day. Wicked Weasel had 45–50 employees as of 2011.
As part of a contest, Wicked Weasel also publishes online pictures of women who wear their products.
- McCullagh, Declan (December 8, 2006). "Police blotter: Fired over 'Wicked Weasel' photo". Police blotter (story series). CNET News. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- "about wicked weasel". Wicked Weasel (Pty. Ltd.). Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- Huntington, Patty. "The Wicked Oil: Victoria's new extreme bikini secret". Fully Chic (blog). Australia: news.com.au. Archived from the original on 20 December 2007. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- "In ways of web, those who bare, win". The Australian. Australasian Business Intelligence. Archived from the original on March 1, 2016. Retrieved 19 June 2017 – via HighBeam Research.
- McDougall, Bruce (7 December 2011). "Midnight Oil bassist Peter Gifford pouring Oil on troubled Labor". The Daily Telegraph. Sydney. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Microkinis.|
- Official Website
- Wicked Weasel on Facebook
- Wicked Weasel on Twitter
- Official Wicked Weasel Online Community
|This article about an Australian corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This business-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|