Al-Nabi Rubin, Acre
|Name meaning||The prophet Rubin|
|Also spelled||an-Nabi Rubin, Neby Rubin|
|Date of depopulation||early November 1948|
|Cause(s) of depopulation||Expulsion by Yishuv forces|
|Current localities||Shomera, Even Menachem, Zar'it, Shtula|
In 1881, the Palestine Exploration Fund's Survey of Western Palestine (SWP) described Al-Nabi Rubin: This is a small village round the tomb of the Neby, containing about ninety Moslems, it is situated on a prominent top, and surrounded by many olives, a few figs and arable land; there are two cisterns and a birket near.
In 1945 the population Tarbikha, Suruh and Al-Nabi Rubin together was 1000 according to an official land and population survey, all were Muslims, and they had a total of 18,563 dunams of land. 619 dunams were plantations and irrigable land, 3,204 used for cereals, while 112 dunams were built-up (urban) land.
1948, and afterwards
The village was captured by Israel as a result of the Haganah's offensive, Operation Hiram during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War and was mostly destroyed with the exception of its shrine. Al-Nabi Rubin inhabitants were expelled to Lebanon in two waves, the aged and infirm were the last to depart when the IDF trucked them to the Lebanese border.
- Palmer, 1881, p. 53
- Morris, 2004, p.xvii, village #68. Also gives cause of depopulation.
- Conder and Kitchener, 1881, SWP I, p. 149.
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 41
- Village Statistics The Palestine Government, April 1945, p. 3
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 81
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 131
- Morris, Benny, (second edition 2004 third printing 2006) The Birth Of The Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0-521-00967-7 pp 506-507
- "al-Nabi Rubin - النبي روبين - Acre -". palestineremembered.com.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology 1. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Khalidi, Walid (1992). All That Remains. Washington D.C.: Institute for Palestine Studies. ISBN 0-88728-224-5.
- Morris, Benny (2004). The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-00967-6.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Welcome To al-Nabi Rubin
- SWP map III, IAA
- SWP map 3, Wikimedia commons
- Al-Nabi Rubin at Khalil Sakakini Cultural Center