Hot stuff. Cool prices.
|Traded as||NASDAQ: FIVE
S&P 600 Component
|Founded||4 October 2002|
|Founders||David Schlessinger, Tom Vellios|
|Headquarters||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
Number of locations
|United States—32 states|
|Joel D. Anderson (CEO)|
|Products||sports, games, fashion accessories, bath and body, candy and beverages, room décor and storage, stationery and school supplies, books, iPhone® and Galaxy® accessories, novelty and gag items, seasonal items|
|Revenue||US$535,400,000 (FY 2013)|
|US$53,700,000 (FY 2013)|
|US$32,100,000 (FY 2013)|
|Total assets||US$232,100,000 (FY 2013)|
Number of employees
Five Below (Stylized as fiVe BEL°W) is an American publicly held chain of discount stores that sells products that cost up to $5. The chain is aimed at teens and pre-teens, but has many adult products as well. Stores are typically located in strip malls as opposed to standing alone. A large portion of Five Belows are located in college towns.
Products and supplies
While products at Five Below can be from any category, some items carried by the store include trading cards, sports related items, games, fashion accessories, bath and body related items, candy, beverages, room decorations, school supplies and stationery, books, accessories for electronics, DVDs, computer software, novelty items and gag items, as well as seasonal items.
As of September 2017[update], Five Below has over 620 stores in 32 states, and two distribution centres. It began its outward expansion away from the Philadelphia Metro area by entering the Illinois and Michigan markets in 2011;[pr 1] Georgia, Kansas, Missouri and Western Michigan in 2012;[pr 2] Texas in 2013; Tennessee in 2014; Alabama, Florida and Kentucky in 2015; Louisiana, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin in 2016.  California received their first stores in 2017; Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico and Utah will have theirs later this year.
In 2011, the company moved its corporate headquarters to a larger location in Philadelphia, PA. The building into which it moved includes other well-known companies such as Merrill Lynch, the American College of Radiology, eResearch Technology and Philadelphia Magazine.
In September 2014, the company announced a new lease agreement to move its New Castle, Delaware distribution center to Oldmans Township, New Jersey.[pr 3] The new center would add 275 jobs to the local economy while Delaware would lose 175.
Fundraisers and philanthropy
This section does not cite any sources. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The company offers a unique fundraising opportunity for non-profit groups. Stores can partner with local groups to set up a "FUNdraising" opportunity, where anyone with an invitation from the group can come in during a pre-selected time period, and shop. 10% of the sales created by shoppers with invitations will be donated back to the organization.
Since 2005, the company has contributed over $1 million for organizations around the country who focus on childhood well-being. They have partnered with and supported Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation with the sale of lemonade bracelets, gift cards and pin-ups which, to date, has resulted in over $300,000 being donated.
After Hurricane Sandy, the company partnered with the American Red Cross and collect over $50,000 through a $1 donation at the register program. They then doubled all donations resulting in a donation in the total of $100,000.
- Zhen, Justin (25 January 2016). "Thinknum Store Locations: Five Below". Thinknum.
- Lally, Terry (4 December 2014). "Watch Out Below When Five Below Reports Today, Target Price: $30". Seeking Alpha.
- "Five Below 2013 Annual Report" (PDF). Five Below Investor Relations. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "What can I buy at Five Below?". Five Below FAQ. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "Zany Brainy execs to open discount chain". Philadelphia Business Journal. American City Business Journals. 23 October 2002. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "Thinknum – Financial Analysis". Thinknum Financial Data Platform. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- Smith, Rich (25 January 2013). "Five Below Expands Into Texas". The Motley Fool. United States.
- Staff (19 March 2014). "Five Below teen discount store opens 3 locations Friday". The Tennessean. United States.
- Kostelni, Natalie (11 December 2011). "Five Below moving its HQ to 1818 Market St.". Philadelphia Business Journal.
- Nathans, Aaron (12 September 2014). "Delaware losing 175 jobs to New Jersey". DelawareOnline.
- "Five Below, the Five-and-Dime for the iPod Generation, Debuts First Detroit-Area Stores" (Press release). Five Below. 13 July 2011 – via Business Wire.
- "Five Below Opens First 7 Stores in Atlanta" (Press release). FiveBelow. 1 June 2012 – via Business Wire.
- "Five Below Signs Lease for New Distribution Center in Southern New Jersey" (Press release). FiveBelow. 9 September 2014.