History (European TV channel)
This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Launched||11 November 1995
1 November 1999 (Ireland)
15 November 2004 (Germany)
17 October 2007 (Netherlands)
1 October 2008 (Romania)
|Owned by||A+E Networks UK (A&E Networks/Sky plc)|
|Picture format||16:9, 576i (SDTV)
0.4% (September 2015
|Slogan||Made Every Day|
|Broadcast area||Arab world, Balkans, Benelux, Central Europe & Eastern Europe, France, Iberian Peninsula, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Scandinavia, South Africa, United Kingdom|
|Headquarters||Brentford, West London (UK and Pan-Europe)
Munich (Germany, Austria & Switzerland)
Amsterdam (Netherlands & Flanders)
Madrid (Spain & Portugal)
|Formerly called||The History Channel (1995–2008)|
|Timeshift service||History +1|
|Sky (UK & Ireland)||Channel 529 (SD/HD)
Channel 530 (+1)
Channel 545 (SD)
|NOVA Greece (Greece)||Channel 404|
|CanalDigitaal (Netherlands)||Channel 19 (HD)|
|Sky Deutschland||Channel 407 (HD)
|Canal+ (Spain)||Channel 35|
|Sky Italia||Channel 407 (SD/HD)
Channel 408 (+1)
|Digiturk||Channel 188 (SD/HD)
|DStv (South Africa)||Channel 186|
|OSN (MENA)||Channel 508 (HD)|
|Virgin Media (UK)||Channel 270
Channel 271 (+1)
On Demand (including HD)
|Virgin Media Ireland||Channel 217
Channel 220 (HD)
|WightFibre (UK)||Channel 82|
|Ziggo (Netherlands)||Channel 28 (HD)|
|Primacom (Germany)||Channel 112|
|UPC Cablecom (Switzerland)||Channel 102 (HD)
|UPC Austria||Channel 531|
|ONO (Spain)||Channel 91|
|R (Spain)||Channel 53|
|TeleCable (Spain)||Channel 22|
|Euskaltel (Spain)||Channel 55|
|NOS (Portugal)||Channel 112|
|Cabovisão (Portugal)||Channel 24|
Channel 312 (SD)Channel 180 (HD)
|BT (UK)||Channel 327
Channel 379 (HD)
|KPN (Netherlands)||Channel 389|
|Movistar TV (Spain)||Channel 84|
|MEO (Portugal)||Channel 123|
|Optimus Clix (Portugal)||Channel 134|
|TalkTalk TV (UK)||Channel 327|
|Plusnet (UK)||Channel 327
Channel 379 (HD)
|TVPlayer||Watch live (UK only) (TVPlayer Plus subscription required)|
|Sky Go||Sky (UK & Ireland only)|
|Virgin TV Anywhere||Virgin Media (UK only)|
|Ziggo GO||ZiggoGO.tv (Netherlands only)|
|Horizon GO||horizon.tv (Ireland only)|
History (formerly known as The History Channel UK) is a pan-European television channel broadcasting programs related to historical events and persons, owned by a joint-venture between A+E Networks, owner of the American History, and British Sky Broadcasting, the UK's largest pay-TV provider. AMC Networks International DMC is responsible for the signal distribution across mainland Europe and the subsidiaries of AMC Networks International are the distribution representatives across Europe. Its programming is mainly in English and locally subtitled or dubbed. It is available through numerous satellite, cable, terrestrial and IPTV distributors across Europe, the Middle East and South Africa. In some countries the advertisement and the announcements between programs are localised.
There are specific versions for Germany, Italy, Netherlands and Flanders, and Spain and Portugal:
- History Germany, a joint venture between A+E Networks and NBC Universal Global Networks Germany
- History Italy, which used to be a joint venture between A+E Networks and Fox International Channels Italy; A+E gained full control of the channel in 2012
- History Netherlands, airing in the Netherlands and Flanders. RTL Nederland is handling the ad sales since 1 January 2016.
- Canal de História (also called História), the History Channel Iberia joint venture between A+E Networks and AMC Networks International Iberia
The History Channel UK started on 11 November 1995 as a week day three-hour block (4 to 7 pm) with British revamp Biography, History Alive and Our Century. The channel was A&E's first international venture
In 1997, Sky Sports 2 became a full-day channel and the channels that time-shared with it had to move. The History Channel would now share transponder 24 with Sky Soap and Sci-Fi Channel.
The History Channel launched in Scandinavia in September 1997, broadcasting for three hours per day on the Analogue Viasat platform. Initially time-sharing with TV1000 Cinema, it was later moved to the Swedish TV8 channel and continued broadcasting there until November 2004 when Viasat launched their own history channel, Viasat History, in the Nordic region and closed down the History Channel.
On 26 October 2006, The History Channel HD launched in the United Kingdom and Ireland. A high-definition version of the History Channel was launched in the Nordic region on 13 December 2007. It offers a separate schedule to the standard-definition version. In January 2008, The History Channel HD launched in the Netherlands.
The company behind the channel was known as The History Channel ( UK ) Limited until July 2009, when it was renamed AETN UK to reflect the fact that the company now offers several channels. On 22 September 2011, AETN UK was rebranded as A+E Networks UK.
It launched on BT on 15 August 2013 and TalkTalk on 28 August 2014. It is on the Entertainment Extra Boost along with CI.
A+E Networks UK operations
Since the launch of History, the company has extended its line-up with:
- Bio. in October 2000 until 4 November 2013
- CI on 10 July 2006
- Crime & Investigation Network Africa on 26 February 2007
- History HD on 26 October 2006
- History Africa on 1 December 2003
- Military History on 28 July 2008 until 4 May 2013
- H2 on 4 May 2013, replacing Military History
- Lifetime on 4 November 2013, replacing Bio.
- Lifetime Africa on 22 July 2014
In the German-speaking countries History is operated and run by The History Channel Germany GmbH & Co. KG, a joint venture between A+E Networks and NBC Universal Global Networks Germany. The channel launched as The History Channel on 15 November 2004 and changed its name into History on 11 January 2009.
On satellite, the channel was available on Arena. It was not available on Premiere, until that platform was renamed Sky on 4 July 2009. At the same time History HD, a high-definition version of the channel, was launched.
The channel also hosts the "History-Award", which has been given annually since 2005.
The History Channel Iberia (Spain and Portugal)
Since 1996, History is operated and distributed under the name of Canal de Historia and more recently Historia by AMC Networks International Iberia in Spain and Portugal through a joint venture with A+E Networks, owner of History. The channel had a feed in Spanish and another in Portuguese which includes dubbed English programs as well as locally produced programming.
Historia is available in Spain on Movistar+ (Spanish biggest digital television provider, through IPTV, satellite and streaming media), as well as cable networks (Telecable, R, Euskaltel), IPTV providers (Vodafone, Orange TV) as well streaming media (TotalChannel). Historia HD became available in Spain on 3 November 2015.
In Portugal, História is available through cable providers (NOS, Cabovisão) and IPTV (MEO, Vodafone). The Portuguese version of História is also available in Angola, Cape Verde and Mozambique.
Spanish locally-produced programming
- Arqueólogo por un día (2015), where a local celebrity spends a day working with real archaeologists in an active archaeological excavation.
- La última cena (2014–2015)
Portuguese local history programming
- Combatentes do Ultramar (2003), dedicated to the Portuguese colonial war.
- A ultima ceia (2014–2015)
- "Monthly viewing summary". BARB. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "Jaarrapport 2016" (PDF). Stichting Kijk Onderzoek.
- Richard Lambert and Sarah Whyte (10 April 2012). "Chello DMC Announces 'TV without Boundaries'" (PDF). Chello DMC.
- "History Channel UK Appoints Chello Zone As Distribution Representative". 4rfv.co.uk. 6 February 2008.
- Robert Briel (3 December 2015). "RTL Netherlands to handle A+E ad sales". BroadbandTVNews.com.
- "A & E Television Networks History". International Directory of Company Histories. 32. St. James Press. 2000. Retrieved 4 December 2013 – via Funding Universe.com.
- "Report from the Sat-UK mailing list: Report #98".
- Jarco Kriek (17 October 2007). "A&E Television Network breidt uit in Europa". Totaal TV.
- "THE HISTORY CHANNEL HD TO LAUNCH IN SCANDINAVIA" (Press release). AETN International. 8 October 2007.
- Robert Briel (14 November 2007). "History Channel HD to launch in Holland". Broadband TV News.
- "History Channel rebranded 'History'". Digital Spy. 19 November 2008.
- Jan-Hein Visser (19 December 2008). "History Channel heet nu History". Totaal TV.
- "The History Channel UK Changes Name to AETN UK". AETN International. 2 July 2009.
- "AETN UK rebrands as A+E Networks UK". Broadband TV News. 22 September 2011.
- "The History Channel ab Januar in neuem Gewand". Digital Fernsehen. 19 December 2008.
- "The History Channel Iberia". Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "Historia: Dónde vernos". Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "Historia: Historia HD". Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "Canal História: Dónde vernos". Retrieved 10 November 2015.