Mashhad Urban Railway
|Native name||قطار شهرید|
|Locale||Mashhad, Razavi Khorasan, Iran|
|Transit type||Rapid transit|
|Number of lines||5
(1 operational, 2 under construction,
2 others planned)
|Number of stations||24|
|Daily ridership||130,000 (August 2015)|
|Website||Mashhad Urban Railway Corp
Mashhad Urban and SubUrban Railway Operation Co
|Began operation||12 March 2011|
|Operator(s)||Mashhad Urban Railways Org.|
|System length||24 km (14.9 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The Mashhad Urban Railway (Persian: قطار شهری مشهد, the literal translation of the name from Persian, but the same one the operating company uses) is a rapid transit urban rail line in Mashhad, Iran. It is the second rapid transit system in Iran. The project has been known by a number of terms, including "light rail", "light metro", "urban rail", and "metro", though the system's full grade-separation from traffic and four-minute headway as of September 2013[update] fully qualify it as a rapid transit or "metro" system. The Mashhad Urban Railway operates its single line from 6:30 to 21:30 daily. A second line is currently under construction.
The 19 kilometres (12 mi), 22 station Line 1 was the first line to be built – it opened for service on 24 April 2011. Line 1 runs between Nakhrisi in the east and Vakilabad in the southwest, with travel time of 30 min. Approximately half the route is in underground - the rest is at ground level.
Line 1 Expansion
Expansion of Line 1 added 4.5 kilometres (2.8 mi) of underground railroads and 2 stations (Parvaz and Airport), connecting Mashhad International Airport to the Mashhad Urban Railway. Line 1 reached a total of 24 stations (13 underground, 11 on-ground) with 24 kilometres (15 mi) of track (15.5 kilometres (9.6 mi) in tunnels, 8.5 kilometres (5.3 mi) on-ground), and a ridership capacity of 170,000 passengers per day, along with daily operation between 6 AM and 10 PM. Also making Mashhad the first city in Iran to have a Metro system connection to an Airport.
A further Line 2 will be a conventional heavy metro, running north-south for 14.5 kilometres (9.0 mi) km between Koohsangi and Tabarsi with 13 stations, Excavation was done by two tunnel boring machines. Currently construction is at railing phase and 1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) has been done already.
- "Iran Rail Transportation Corporation, Mashhad". http://irtco.ir/. Retrieved 2015-10-24. External link in
- "Mashhad Urban Railway Ridership". http://farsnews.com/ (in Persian). Retrieved 2015-10-24. External link in
- "جابهجایی حدود 51 میلیون مسافر توسط خط یک قطار شهری مشهد" [Handling about 51 million passengers a metro rail line Mashhad] (in Persian). Mashhad Urban & SubUrban Railway Operation Company. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- "Toos Gostar". Imam Reza (A.S.) Network. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "Mashhad metro starts running". Railway Gazette. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- "IRAN: MASHHAD METRO PROJECT MOVES AHEAD.". Goliath Business News. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "Mashhad metro starts running". Railway Gazette. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- "UrbanRail.Net > Asia > Iran > Mashhad Metro". UrbanRail.net. 2010-11-04. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "Mashhad Urban Railway Corporation, Line 1". http://murco.ir/. Retrieved 2015-10-24. External link in
- "مشهد نخستین شهر در کشور است که فرودگاه آن به خطوط مترو متصل شده است". http://murco.ir/ (in Persian). Retrieved 2016-03-01. External link in
- "ریلگذاری 1.5 کیلومتر از خط 2 قطارشهری مشهد". http://murco.ir/ (in Persian). Retrieved 2016-03-01. External link in
- "Mashhad Urban Railway Corporation, Line 3". http://murco.ir/. Retrieved 2015-10-24. External link in
- "ورود TBMبه لینک خط2و3". http://murco.ir/. Retrieved 2016-03-01. External link in
- "Mashad Light Rail". Subways.net. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "Railway Gazette: First LRVs shipped to Mashhad". Railway Gazette. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "China's first official shipment export light rail vehicles". China Daily. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mashhad Metro.|