|Native name||قطار المشاعر المقدسة|
|Transit type||Rapid transit|
|Number of lines||1 – Pink Line (currently open during Hajj season only)
|Number of stations||9 – Pink Line (currently open during Hajj season only)
|Began operation||Nov 2010 (Pink Line – currently open during Hajj season only)|
|Operation will start||2019 (projected)|
|System length||188 km (117 mi) (projected)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The Mecca Metro or Makkah Metro or officially known as Makkah Mass Rail Transit is a planned four-line metro system for the city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The metro forms part of the 62bn riyal Makkah Public Transport Programme, which will include integrated bus services.
In August 2012 it was announced that the Saudi government had approved US$16.5 billion to build the four metro lines (182-kilometer (113 mi) long) of the system. The announcement of government financing said that the entire expansion would take 10 years. Invitation for tenders were due to be issued in January 2013.
- Pink Line: 18.1 km, connecting Makkah, Arafat, Muzdalifa and Mina.
- Red Line : is a straight link between Mina and Makkah.
- Orange Line : will connect Makkah to large multilevel parking facilities from the west to the south.
- Blue Line : will connect Mina to the west side of Makkah through a big loop to the north.
- Yellow Line : circles Makkah with a straight extension to the north.
However, work on the planned four line, now 188-kilometer (117 mi) long, metro network is now expected to commence in 2016.
Makkah Mass Rail Transit Co has appointed Prasarana to provide consultancy services during Phase 1, which covers the construction of two metro lines totalling 45·1 km and 22 stations by 2019.
- "Al Mashaaer Al Mugaddassah Metro Project, Macca Saudi Arabia". raillynews.com. 25 October 2013.
- "Makkah to have four metro lines, 88 stations - Phase one of 188-km metro network to begin work in 2016". Gulf News. 29 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Prasarana wins Makkah metro consultancy contract". Railway Gazette International. 28 November 2014.
- "Jeddah and Makkah metro plans approved". Railway Gazette International. 17 August 2012.
- "Hajj pilgrims take the metro to Makkah". Railway Gazette International. 15 November 2010.
- "Saudi Cabinet Approves $16.5 Billion Mecca Metro System". Bloomberg News. 14 August 2012. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Makkah Metro tender to be issued in January". Saudi Gazette. 25 October 2012.
- "Makkah metro expansion plan". Railway Gazette International. 11 August 2011.
Media related to Mecca Metro at Wikimedia Commons