QupZilla running in KDE Plasma 4
|Initial release||December 2010|
|Operating system||Unix-like (Linux, FreeBSD, macOS,…), OS/2, Haiku, Microsoft Windows|
QupZilla makes use of Qt WebEngine to support modern web standards. It provides several icon sets and other elements to match the native look and feel of users' desktop operating systems. Some additional features of the browser include the integration of history, web feeds and bookmarks in a single location, the ability to take a screenshot of the entire page, and an Opera-like "Speed dial" home page. It is reported to consume fewer system resources than the major general purpose browsers like Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
QupZilla uses the Qt cross-platform application framework and offers a built-in AdBlock. By default this adblocker whitelists the web page of QupZilla's main search engine, Duckduckgo. A "portable" (no installation) version for Windows platforms exists. QupZilla is also distributed in the PortableApps format.
The project was started as a research project in 2010. The first preview release, written in Python (using PyQt library), was ready by December 2010. In 2011 the source code was rewritten in C++ with a goal to create a full-featured general purpose portable web browser based on QtWebKit, with the initial target being visual integration with the look and feel of multiple desktop environments including Microsoft Windows, GNOME, and KDE. Version 1.6.6 (May 2014) still supported Windows 2000.
On 30 March 2016 QupZilla 2.0 was released. It marked the transition from QtWebKit to Qt WebEngine.
- Comparison of lightweight web browsers
- Comparison of web browsers
- List of web browsers
- List of web browsers for Unix and Unix-like operating systems
- QtWeb, older browser with a similar architecture
- Rosca, David (28 April 2017). "QupZilla 2.1.2 released". QupZilla Blog.
- "Qupzilla at Freshports". Freshports. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- David Rosca (30 March 2016). "QupZilla 2.0.0 released with QtWebEngine!". QupZilla Blog.
- Němec, Petr (28 December 2011). "Softwarová sklizeň" [Software picks (28 December 2011)]. Root.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- Голубев, Сергей (10 February 2012). "QupZilla – браузер на основе Qt и WebKit" [QupZilla – browser based on Qt and WebKit]. PC Week/RE (in Russian). Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- Richmond, Gary (6 January 2012). "QupZilla Browser: one web browser, three niche features". Free Software Magazine. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- Sneddon, Joey (22 December 2011). "Qupzilla – the Best Browser You’ve Never Heard of?". OMG! Ubuntu!. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- "QupZilla Portable 1.8.8 (web browser) Released". PortableApps. 2015-10-21.
- "README.md". GitHub. 25 April 2013. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- Chirkov, Maxim, ed. (26 December 2011). "Qupzilla – новый многоплатформенный web-браузер на базе Qt и WebKit" [Qupzilla – new multiplatform web browser based on Qt and WebKit]. OpenNet (in Russian). Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- David Rosca (2014-10-12). "Cookies issue + Build for Mac OS X available!". Development updates on QtWebKit browser QupZilla. Retrieved 2015-01-29.
the latest 1.8 version is not working on Windows 2000
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to QupZilla.|