Carroll County, Illinois
|Carroll County, Illinois|
Location in the state of Illinois
Illinois's location in the U.S.
466.36 sq mi (1,208 km²)
444.81 sq mi (1,152 km²)
21.55 sq mi (56 km²), 4.62%
38/sq mi (14/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Carroll County is a county located in the U.S. state of Illinois. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 15,387, which is a decrease of 7.7% from 16,674 in 2000. Its county seat is Mount Carroll.
According to the 2010 census, the county has a total area of 466.36 square miles (1,207.9 km2), of which 444.81 square miles (1,152.1 km2) (or 95.38%) is land and 21.55 square miles (55.8 km2) (or 4.62%) is water. The Mississippi Palisades State Park is in this county, just north of the city of Savanna. The Savanna Army Depot is located partly in this county.
Adjacent counties 
- Stephenson County - northeast
- Ogle County - east
- Whiteside County - south
- Clinton County, Iowa - southwest (across the Mississippi River)
- Jackson County, Iowa - west (across the Mississippi River)
- Jo Daviess County - northwest
National protected area 
Major highways 
- US Route 52
- Illinois Route 40
- Illinois Route 64
- Illinois Route 72
- Illinois Route 73
- Illinois Route 78
- Illinois Route 84
Carroll County is divided into these twelve townships:
School districts 
- Chadwick-Milledgeville Community Unit School District 399
- Eastland Community Unit School District 308
- Pearl City Community Unit School District 200
- West Carroll Community Unit School District 314
Political districts 
- Illinois' 16th congressional district
- State House District 71
- State House District 89
- State Senate District 36
- State Senate District 45
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
As of the census of 2000, there were 16,674 people, 6,794 households, and 4,681 families residing in the county. The population density was 14/km² (38/sq mi). There were 7,945 housing units at an average density of 7/km² (18/sq mi). The racial makeup of the county was 96.94% White, 0.55% Black or African American, 0.24% Native American, 0.41% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.82% from other races, and 1.02% from two or more races. 2.04% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 42.4% were of German, 10.7% American, 9.8% Irish, 7.6% English and 5.0% Dutch ancestry according to Census 2000. 97.3% spoke English and 1.5% Spanish as their first language.
There were 6,794 households out of which 28.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.40% were married couples living together, 7.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.10% were non-families. 27.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.30% under the age of 18, 6.60% from 18 to 24, 25.40% from 25 to 44, 24.50% from 45 to 64, and 19.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 97.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.10 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $37,148, and the median income for a family was $43,685. Males had a median income of $31,318 versus $21,753 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,688. About 7.40% of families and 9.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.30% of those under age 18 and 5.90% of those age 65 or over.
Climate and weather 
|Mount Carroll, Illinois|
|Climate chart (explanation)|
In recent years, average temperatures in the county seat of Mount Carroll have ranged from a low of 7 °F (−14 °C) in January to a high of 85 °F (29 °C) in July, although a record low of −31 °F (−35 °C) was recorded in January 1910 and a record high of 108 °F (42 °C) was recorded in July 1936. Average monthly precipitation ranged from 1.43 inches (36 mm) in January to 4.77 inches (121 mm) in June.
Notable people 
- Willis J. Bailey, United States Representative from Kansas and the 16th Governor of Kansas
- Edward Seyfarth, inventor of an early ear piercing gun (patented in 1880)
See also 
- "Carroll County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2010 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Monthly Averages for Mount Carroll, Illinois". The Weather Channel. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "Kansas Governor Willis Joshua Bailey". National Governors Association. Retrieved September 29, 2012.
- US Patent #230,073
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- United States National Atlas
||Jo Daviess County||Stephenson County|
|Jackson County, Iowa||Ogle County|
|Clinton County, Iowa||Whiteside County|