|• Type||Chennai Corporation|
|• Body||Chennai Corporation|
|• Total||3.78 km2 (1.46 sq mi)|
|Elevation||16 m (52 ft)|
|• Density||7,600/km2 (20,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||TN 10|
Porur is a part (Ward no. 151 and 153 of Zone XI) of the city of Chennai in Tamil Nadu, India. It occupies a crucial position on the Mount-Poonamallee Road, Porur is known for its chemical industries, manufacturing plants, residential colonies and vegetable markets.
Porur is of great antiquity and is believed to have been existent since the Pallava period. It was upgraded from village panchayat to town panchayat on October 1, 1977. Porur is one of the fast-developing suburbs of Chennai. It was included in the Chennai Corporation by the year 2011.
The Porur Lake is the principal source of fresh water for the suburb. Porur is known for the renowned Ramachandra Medical College. Porur houses Mono-pulse Secondary Surveillance radar, one of the two radars in the city, which aids air-transport communication.
Porur is located at 13.03° N and 80.16° E, and 52 feet (15 metres) above sea level. It is bounded on the east and south-east by the Pallavaram Hills. It is located 18 km south-west of Chennai city limits on the Guindy-Poonamalee road which eventually merges into the Chennai-Bangalore highway. For administrative purposes, Porur has been included in Thiruvallur district.
Porur is believed to be of great antiquity as indicated by its name "Porur" which, in Tamil, means the "place of warfare". Porur is considered to have been the site of a fierce battle during Pallava times. There is a Shiva temple in Porur which is believed to have been built by Chola kings.
Porur was a little-known village administered as a part of the Saidapet taluk of the then Chingleput district in 1961. During that time, the Saidapet taluk adjoining Madras city, especially the Mount-Poonamallee Road, was famous for industries and chemical plants producing a variety of products.
Porur village panchayat was upgraded to a Grade-I town panchayat on October 1, 1977. Later, it was upgraded to a selection grade town panchayat starting from February 24, 1982. The population of the town at the time of the 1981 census was 8,633. When the Chengalpattu district was bifurcated on January 1, 1997 into Chengalpattu and Thiruvallur districts, Porur became a part of Thiruvallur district..
Porur is situated at an elevation of 16 metres (52 feet) and is surrounded by the Pallavaram Hills. The Porur Lake along with the Chembarambakkam Lake forms the Rette Eri (Two Lakes divided by road, one Lake has water and another one were occupied by people for living a long ago), is the principal source of fresh water for the suburb and surrounding areas. It is in the center of Porur separating the eastern parts from Sri Ramachandra Medical College and the western residential areas. The Porur Flyover was built over the lake, which connects Maduravoyal with Tambaram near the Tambaram Bypass road.
Some of the important localities of Porur are Alapakkam, Karambakkam,Arunachalam Garden ,Devi Nagar,Kerugambakkam,Lakshmi Nagar, Madanandapuram, Mangala Nagar, Ramakrishna Nagar, Meenakshi Nagar, Moulivakkam, Mugalivakkam, Sabari Nagar, Sakthi Nagar, R E Nagar and Samayapuram Nagar.
As of 2001[update] India census, Porur had a population of 28,782. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Porur has an average literacy rate of 79%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 83%, and female literacy is 76%. In Porur, 9% of the population is under 6 years of age. population of porur is 30060 in 2011. The sex ratio was 938 females for every 1000 males. The township is administered by a Town Panchayat.
Porur is well-connected with Chennai city and other neighbouring suburbs through roads. It is connected with Nungambakkam by Arcot Road and with Guindy and Poonamallee by the Mount-Poonamallee Road. The Kundrathur road connects with the temple town of Kundrathur. The three roads meet at the Porur Junction which is an important traversing point for buses running to Kanchipuram and Bangalore.
Porur has five bus stops, two in Lakshmi Nagar, one at Porur Junction and one each for Ramachandra Medical College and Sakthi Nagar. Share auto services operate between Porur and Guindy and Porur and Vadapalani. Porur-Guindy : 54 series, 88 series and M49
Some of Prominent Bus Routes from Porur to various destinations
- 54 - Poonamallee - Broadway (via Guindy)
- 254 - Iyappanthangal - Brodway (via Guindy)
- 88K - Kundrathur - Broadway (via Guindy)
- 17C - Iyappanthangal - Brodway (via vadapalani,Nungambakkam, DPI , Egmore)
- 11H - Iyappanthangal - Brodway (via KKNagar , TNagar)
- 17B - Mangadu- Brodway (via TVS, Vadaplani)
- 17J - CMBT - Koyambedu (via Virugambakkam , Chinmaya Nagar)
- M49 - Iyyapanthangal - Thiruvanmiyur (via Guindy, Adyar)
- M54 - Poonamallee - Sadiapet(via Guindy)
- 49A - Poonamallee - TNagar (via Guindy)
- 25G - Poonamallee - Anna Sqaure (via vadapalani,Gemini, Royapettah , Marina)
- 37E - MKB nagar - Iyyapanthangal ( via Perambur , Nungambakkam , egmore , vadapalani)
- 54B - Porur - Saidapet ( via Gerugambakkam)
- 17M - Iyappanthangal - Brodway (via vadapalani,TVS)
- 54F - Poonamallee - Mandaveli ( via Adyar)
- F54 - Poonamallee -Mandaveli ( via Sathya Studio, Kottur)
- 554 - Sunguvarchataram - Tnagar ( via Poonamallee)
- 576 - Kanchepuram - Tnagar ( via Poonamallee)
- 501 - Thiruvallur - Tnagr ( via Poonamallee)
- 502 - Broadway - Sriperumbdur ( via Poonamallee)
- 582 - vallakottai - Tnagar (via Guindy)
- 17P - Pattur - vadaplani ( via Mangadu)
- 88M - Nallur - Broadway (via Guindy)
- M88 - Kundarthur - vadapalani
- 88C - Kundarthur Thandalam - Broadway (via Guindy)
- 88A - Nandambakkam - Broadway (via vadapalani , TVS)
- 54K - Nemam - Broadway(via Guindy)
- 597 - Thiruvallur - Tnagar (via Guindy)
- 54L - Vellavedu - Broadway (via Guindy)
- 54T - Chembarambakakm - Broadway (via Guindy)
- 154A - Thirunidravur - Tnagar(via Guindy)
- 154B - Naganallur - Poonamallee (via Guindy)
- 154 - Pattur - Tnagar(via Guindy)
- 21M - Kovur - Broadway(via Guindy , Adyar , Marina)
- 54H - Poonamallee - Saidapet ( via Porur , Gunidy)
- 166 - Iyappanthangal - Tamabram (via Porur , Kundarathur, Pallavarum)
- 37G - Vallar Nagar - Iyappanthangal (via Porur , Nungambakkam, Purasaivakkam)
- 54Lcut - Velachery - Vellavedu ( via Poonamallee , Porur , Gunidy)
- M25 - Iyappanthangal -Vadapalani Murugan temple
- 54M - Managadu - Broadway ( via Guindy)
1000 year old Siva Temple that is called Ramanatha Easwarar Temple that is Guru Sthalam
Porur has a number of temples, mosques and churches.
The Ramanathaeswarar - Shiva temple ( Guru Sthalam ) is located at Porur towards Kundarathur Road side nearer to Porur EB office, is one of the oldest Hindu temples built in Chennai city.
Arulmigu Ponniamman temple is over 40 years old temple located on karambakkam.
The Control tower popularly known as Radar Station for Madras Airport Authority with a control radius of 173 km
This is still operational in the south-east Porur which was statergically replaced else where due to population outburst.
By far, the most important landmark in Porur is the Sri Ramachandra College and Research Institute which was opened in 1985.
It is recognized as one of the premium educational institutions in the world and has tie-ups with important international universities including Harvard.
Alpha Arts and Science College is located in Porur.
SEZ and IT parks
There would be a total of 1,00,000 employees working in the three IT SEZs.
TCG IT park coming up at porur has been taken up by HP. It would employ around 2000 people.
Most prominent IT firm Natramizh Menporulkal is also located in sakthi nagar.
The DLF IT Park currently has companies like
- Fidelity Investments
- Tata Photon
- Computer Sciences Corporation .
Schools in and around Porur
- Government Elementary School
- Government Higher Secondary School
- Grace Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Holy Angels Matric Higher Secondary School
- St.John's Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- St.Paul's Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Swamy's Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- MKM Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Aiyeesha Razzac Matriculation higher Secondary School
- St. Mary's Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Omega International School
- Ravindra BharathiInternational (CBSE) School
- Pon Vidhyashram (CBSE) School
- PSBB Millinium School
- Assis Matriculation School
- St. Francis International School
- Govaradhan Hemavathi International School
- Lalaji Memorial Omega International School ( LMOIS )CBSE/IGCSE
- St. Francis International School
- Govaradhan Hemavathi International School
Kindergarten and Play School
- The First School, Mangala Nagar, Porur
Hospitals around Porur
- SRMC - Sri Ramachandra Medical College
- Kedar Hospital
- Parvathi Hospital
- Miot Hospital
Housing Colonies in Porur;' "Adithi" Complex, 2 Mugalivakkam Main Road,Porur,Chennai 600116 2/9A ; Kartik Vallioor, Aparna Kartik Ph: 22521066 2/9B ; V.K.Vydhianathan IA&AS(Retd)V.Visalakshi,Kirthi Vallioor, Shobana Chakravarthi.Ph : 22521066
- Janardhanan, Arun (29 September 2011). "Chennai ATC enjoys the navigation of entire South Indian skies". The Times of India (Chennai: The Times Group). Retrieved 01-Dec-2012.
- B. S. Baliga (1957). Madras District Gazetteers. p. 1764.
- Census of India, 1961, Volume 9, Issue 1. Office of the Registrar General of India. 1961. p. 71.
- Indian journal of power and river valley development, Volume 41. 1991. p. 237.
- Eastern economist, Volume 41. 1963. p. 910.
- India Major Manufacturers. Business Information Agency. p. 237.
- B. S. Baliga (1957). Madras District Gazetteers. p. 870.
- B. S. Baliga (1957). Madras District Gazetteers. p. 805.
- B. S. Baliga (1983). Madras District Gazetteers Volume 12 Part 2. p. 1273.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.