College of Engineering, Guindy
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
|College of Engineering, Guindy|
|கிண்டி பொறியியல் கல்லூரி|
Seal of College of Engineering, Guindy
|Motto||Labor omnia vincit (Latin)|
|Motto in English||Work conquers all|
|Established||1794 (as a college in 1862) (220 years, 4 months, 2 weeks and 1 day)|
|Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Campus||Urban, 250 acres|
|Newspaper||The Guindy Times|
Anna University (1978 – )
The College of Engineering, Guindy (CEG) in Chennai, India, is one of the most reputed engineering and technical institutions in India and was established in 1794. It is the main campus of Anna University.
It was born as a survey school in May 1794. In 1794 the Survey school was started with one student in a building near Fort St. George. Founded by Michael Topping,the school became the Civil Engineering School in 1858 and was then rechristened as College of Engineering in 1861 with the inclusion of the Mechanical Engineering course.
College of Engineering, Guindy offers undergraduate engineering degree in the fields of Mechanical Engineering, Geoinformatics, Agricultural & Irrigation Engineering, Bio Medical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Printing Technology, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Mining Engineering, Material Science and Engineering, Information Technology, and Printing Technology.
It offers postgraduate degrees such as MBA, MCA, M.E., M.Sc. M.Tech and Ph.D.
Reputation and Ranking
|Engineering – India|
It was ranked 12th in the Outlook India Top Engineering Colleges of 2012. In rankings of government colleges, it ranked #9 in the Mint Top 50 Government Engineering Colleges of 2009. The international surveys conducted by Professor Jude Sommerfeld of Georgia Tech, USA since 1964 for every five-year period as well as every year and also during the 5-year period during 2004-2009 which included all IITs and IISc. College of Engineering Guindy, Anna University is always ranked among the topmost in this survey. College of Engineering, Guindy is the only institute in India to produce a Turing Award winner as alumni.
|Name of Institute||Location||Publications 2010||Total 06-10||Rank 06-10||Publications 2011||Total 07-11||Rank 07-11||World Ranking|
|ICT, Mumbai (UDCT)||Mumbai||185||960||1||198||1025||1||4|
The College has many student-run clubs to accommodate, encourage and cultivate varied interests of the students. Prominent ones include Sruthilaya (The Official Music Club of the College), Twisters (Dance Club), Snap It (for Photography), TheatrOn (Dramatics Club), Robotics Club, CSAU (Computer Society of Anna University), Jugaad (Entrepreneurship Club), Literary club, The Guindy Times (Official Campus Magazine), Aakriti (for women empowerment), Siruthuligal (the college's charity club), Rotract Club, Students' Quality Club(SQC), Green Brigade (Enivironment Club) among dozens of others. There is a separate club orientation held by the seniors to educate the 1st years about the various club activities in CEG. Apart from these clubs, there is also NCC, NSS, NSO and YRC.
Most students at CEG reside in hostels. The hostels are named after flowers. The campus has 16 hostels (Blocks 1-11, Kurinji, Tulip, Lavender and other blocks), of which five are exclusively for women. Dining facilities are provided in Five large centralized halls. The hostels accommodate only undergraduate students. There is a separate hostel for NRIs and Foreign Nationals.
Cultural and technical symposia
From 2007, the CEG Tech Forum conducts an international techno-management festival, under the patronage of UNESCO, called Kurukshetra. Students take part in events covering engineering, science, technology and management. The Kurukshetra Guest Lecture series is a star-studded affair, with the likes of Nobel Laureates, research scientists from NASA,ISRO etc., and CEOs of top organisations.
From 2012, the students of CEG Tech Forum started providing mentoring services to freshers, helping them make informed decisions on what technical projects to work on, going overseas for higher education and research. Every year in February, CEG plays host to Techofes, a four-day inter-collegiate cultural festival. In October, Agni, the intra-college cultural festival is conducted. During January, February and March each yea, departments of the college conduct technical symposia. Notable among those are
- Q Quest, organised by the Student Quality Club of CEG under AU-TVS Centre for Quality Management
- Gateway, organised by the Department of Media Sciences
- Pinnacle, , organised by the Society of Mechanical Engineers and Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Waves, organized by Society of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Quanta, organised by the Department of Materials Science and Engineering
- Vision, organised by the Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Bio-Spectra, organised by Biomedical Engineering (under the Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering)
- Civilisation, by the Department of Civil Engineering
- Ethos, organised by the Department of Management Studies
- Xenia, organised by the Department of Management Studies - Hospitality Management
- Greenics, organised by the Department of Agricultural and Irrigation Engineering
- Surang, organized by the Department of Mining Engineering
- Manusys, organised by the Department of Manufacturing Engineering
- Indcon, organised by the Department of Industrial Engineering
- Abacus, organised by the Department of Computer Science Engineering
- ITrix, organised by the Department of Information Science and Technology
- Geo Horizon, organised by the Department of Geo-Informatics Engineering
- Niral, Division of MCA (under the Department of Information Science and Technology)
- Imprint, organised by the Department of Printing Technology
- Mathrix, organised by the Department of Mathematics
- Colloquium. organised by the Department of Mathematics
- Aspiring Geologist Extravaganza, organised by the Department of Geology
- Sangarsh (Concert For A Cause)., organised by Rotaract club of CEG
Teams from CEG have participated in national contests like University Challenge.
- Verghese Kurien, architect of Operation Flood and India's White Revolution and winner of the Ramon Magsaysay Award and the World Food Prize
- Anand Ramachandran, managing director, AceTech Engineers Pvt.Ltd
- Upendra J. Chivukula, American politician
- J. Mohan, Dean - School of Engineering Technology, Trades and Aviation, Confederation College, Canada
- A. C. Muthiah, Indian industrialist and ex-President, Board of Control for Cricket in India
- Akkineni Nagarjuna, Indian film actor and Producer
- Raj Reddy, Turing Award winner, Professor at Carnegie-Mellon University
- S. Somasegar, Senior Vice President, Developer Division, Microsoft
- Krishnamachari Srikkanth, former Captain of the Indian cricket team and the Chairman of the selection committee
- P. S. Veeraraghavan, director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre
- Krishna Kumar Natarajan, CEO Mindtree limited
- S. Durgaprasad, Co-Founder, Director & Global CEO, Bahwan CyberTek Group
- Raj Bala, CTO Cognizant
- Rajesh Kuppuswamy, CDO polarisFT
- Dhiraj C. Rajaram, Founder and CEO, Mu Sigma Inc.
- Ravi Jagannathan, American economist & Chaired Professor, Kellogg School of Management
- V.M. Muralidharan, Chairman, Ethiraj College Trust and Global COO, Bahwan CyberTek Group
- Ravi Ruia, Essar Group
- Crazy Mohan, Tamil comedy actor, script writer and playwright
- Mendu Rammohan Rao, Dean Emeritus, Indian School of Business
- Nawin Sona, Municipal Commissioner, Amravati
- Gopalapuram Parthasarathy, diplomat and author, former Indian High Commissioner to Pakistan, Australia and Myanmar
- Koshy Varghese, Associate Professor in IIT Madras
- Kal Raman, COO of Groupon and Founder of Global Scholar
- Vellanki Rama Rao, Board of Road and Buildings, For the state of Andhra Pradesh.
- Kutraleeswaran, Marathon swimmer, The youngest Arjuna Award winner
- Dr.S.Manikandan, Scientist, Electronics and Radar Development Establishment, Defense Research and Development Organization, India
- Shankar Arumugavelu, Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer Verizon Wireless.
- Bhargav Sri Prakash, Entrepreneur and Hedge Fund Manager
- Prof. S. Sadagopan, Director, IIIT-Bangalore
- Rajkumar Bharathi, Classical singer and music composer
- Raaghav, on screen, is film actor and television personality in Tamil Nadu, India
- Madhan Karky, Tamil film lyricist
- T.P. Kuttiyamu, First chief Engineer, Govt. of Kerala
- N.Shiva Subramanian, managing director, ThyssenKrupp Industries India Pvt.Ltd<http://www.bulletin247.com/english-news/show/thyssenkrupp-bags-deals-worth-rs-1000-cr>
- "Established". CEG History. CEG. 1978-09-04. Retrieved April 29, 2013.
- "CEG Anna University - Degree Courses" (PDF). Retrieved August 11, 2011.
- "CEG - Degree Courses" (PDF). Retrieved August 11, 2011.
- "Best Engineering colleges 2014". India Today. 2014. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "Top Engineering Colleges". Outlook India. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "India's Top Engineering Colleges 2012 (DQ-CMR T-Schools Survey 2012)". archive.dqindia.com/. Dataquest. 15 December 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Top 50 Government Engineering Colleges of 2009" (PDF). Mint. 23 June 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- Category:Turing Award laureates
- [dead link]
- "Education Plus : Kurukshetra – Sprawling innovation in science and technology". The Hindu. 2009-11-30. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "Seniors start online network to help engineering freshers". The Times of India. 2012-07-15.
- "The Hindu : ‘Techofes 2010’ off to colourful start". The Hindu. 2010-02-16. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "Q-Quest 2008 -Anna university". Indiastudychannel.com. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Campus connect". The Hindu. 2011-09-05. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "IBN Live : 'Annual Fund raising concert held - South India - Chennai - IBN LIVE publisher=IBN LIVE". 2012-04-07. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- "Verghese Kurien". amuldairy.com. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "Upendra J. Chivukula (D)". njleg.state.nj.us. Retrieved 15 June 2011.
- "A. C. Muttiah". cegalumni.org. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Akkineni Nagarjuna". lifestyle.iloveindia.com. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- "Raj Reddy". rr.cs.cmu.edu. Retrieved 2 June 2011.
- "S. Somasegar: Senior Vice President, Developer Division". microsoft.com. Retrieved 2 June 2011.
- "Krishnamachari Srikkanth". cegam.in. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- "Veeraraghavan new VSSC director". The Hindu. October 31, 2009. Retrieved 16 June 2011.
- "Mu Sigma Management Team".
- "Dr.M.Rammohan Rao speaks at CEG Global Alumni meet". cegam.in. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "LinkedIn profile of Mr. Nawin Sona, IAS". linkedin.com. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Rethink policy to empower Sri Lankan Tamils economically". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Mr.G.Parthasarathy's profile as a faculty of Centre for Policy Research". http://www.cprindia.org. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Vellanki Rama Rao Bhavan at the VNRVJIET Library".
- "Raaghav". Retrieved 7 February 2014.
CEG 1978 Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Ceg7378
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to College of Engineering, Guindy.|