|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Chennai North|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Perambur|
Kodungaiyur (Tamil: கொடுங்கையூர்) is mainly a residential locality in northernmost part of the metropolitan city of Chennai, Tamil Nadu state, India. In the Expanded Chennai Corporation(200 Wards),after delimitation of Zones & Wards, Kodungaiyur will fall under Ward No:34, 35, 36 & 37 ( all the 4 wards will come under Zone No:IV as per the new expanded corporation limits).
Location and Surroundings
Kodungaiyur covers a vast area bordering Selavayal & Chinna sekkaadu to the north, Ezhil Nagar to the east, Arul Nagar (Madhavaram Milk Colony) to the west, Moolakadai to the southwest and MKB Nagar(Vysarpadi)to the south.
National Highway 5(NH 5) touches this area in southwest at Moolakadai.
- Kamarajar salai->Thiruvalluvar street->Manali road (from Moolakadai towards Chinna Kodungaiyur).
- TH Road (from Moolakadai towards KKD Nagar and further till Ezhil Nagar).
- Ethirajsamy Salai (from Erukancherry towards MR Nagar).
- Meenambal Salai (from MKB Nagar towards KKD Nagar) .
Distance from Various parts of city to Kodungaiyur :
- From Perambur : 4.5 km
- From Parrys corner : 9.5 km
- From Central Railway station : 8.5 km
- From Egmore Railway station : 9.5 km
- From CMBT (Koyambedu) : 14 km
- From Airport : 26.5 km
||Madhavaram Milk Colony (MMC)(Towards Mathur MMDA)||Manali(Towards Minjur)||Tiruvottiyur(Towards Ennore)|
|Madhavaram(Towards Redhills)||Korukkupet(Towards Tondiarpet,Washermanpet & Royapuram)|
|Moolakadai(Towards Perambur & Ayanavaram)||MKB Nagar(Towards Vyasarpadi,Doveton & Egmore)||Mullai Nagar(Towards Basin Bridge & Central)|
Few facts about Kodungaiyur:-
- The south western part (older part) of the locality around Kamarajar salai is called "Periya Kodungaiyur", whereas the north western part (relatively recently developed part) around Manali Salai is called "Chinna Kodungaiyur" and Thiruvalluvar street making the unofficial divider between these two areas.
- Places like Kamarajar Salai, TH Road,SIDCO Main Road, MR Nagar, Meenambal Salai houses many business entities(Super markets,Restaurants,Banks/ATMs,Fuel stations,Telephone Exchange,LIC satellite branch office etc.) whereas Parvathi Nagar, Seetharam nagar, Narayanasamy garden are merely residential localities.
- P6 Kodungaiyur Police Station is situated in SIDCO main Road.
- TNEB substaion is situated in SIDCO main Road, KKD Nagar. It is 33/11 KV substation, which cateres power to MR Nagar, KKD Nagar & other eastern parts of Kodungaiyur. Western parts of Kodungaiyur like Narayanasamy garden, RV Nagar, Kamarajar Salai are catered by Sembium substation.
- The Housing Board residences are at KKD Nagar( Phase -I) and Muthamil Nagar (Phase -II) which are major developments is last 2 decades.Apart from this, Private builders contribute to the development of this area, one such is the RC West minster in Kamarajar Salai.
- Kodungaiyur, once upon a time was referred as the Crime spot of the city which made this place to be alienated.But in the recent years, Kodungaiyur witnesses a drastic change and eventually became a people friendly locality in the city.
Disambiguation 1: - Kaviarasu Kannadasan Nagar (KKD Nagar) is actually a Part of 'Kodungaiyur' in the city of Chennai and both (KKD Nagar & Kodungaiyur) are not separate Geographical locations (Since it is assumed wrongly most of the times that both are different localities as name boards of Most commercial establishments display 'KKD Nagar, chennai-118' & very few shops display 'KKD Nagar,Kodungaiyur,Chennai-118')
Disambiguation 2:- 'Chinna Kodungaiyur & Periya Kodungaiyur alone doesnot account to the Kodungaiyur's total geographical area as they both are merely parts of Kodungaiyur.
Metropolitan Transport Corporation (MTC) runs passenger buses to Kodungaiyur from other major parts of the Chennai city. There are 3 Bus terminuses in Kodungaiyur.They are Kaviarasu Kannadasan Nagar (KKD Nagar), Parvathi nagar & Muthamizh nagar.
KKD Nagar Terminus is the heart of Kodungaiyur's Transportation system, as it is the major and most popular bus terminus here. Though Frequent buses are available to Parrys & Central, this terminus is badly in need of more bus services to most parts of South Chennai.
There is also a smaller bus terminus located at Parvathy Nagar in north western section of the locality. Though there are good number of daily commuters from this area,the frequency of Bus services are very limited (in fact they are timed services) to this terminus as the stretch Kamarajar salai->Thiruvalluvar street->Manali road (from Moolakadai towards Chinna Kodungaiyur) is very narrow with encroachments & unauthorised parking of vehicles on both the sides of the road making the drivers often feel difficult to drive the bus in this route.
Earlier Horse Carts were running in this route,but it has been stopped now .
Still many residents in Chinna Kodungaiyur, residents east of Manali road goto Kaviyarasu Kanadasan (KKD) Nagar bus terminus and residents west of Manali road goto Arul Nagar (Madhavaram milk clolony) bus stop. Residents of Periya Kodungaiyur goto Moolakadai bus stop to catch buses to their destinations. some of the bus routes from here are M46C to CMBT(Koyambedu), M38D to Thiruvottiyur, M116L to Broadway.
The other smaller terminus is located at Muthamil Nagar and the only bus route is M116 to Brodway.
The bus services from Kaviarasu Kannadasan Nagar (KKD Nagar) bus terminal are:
|7G||KKD Nagar||Broadway||MR Nagar, Moolakadai, Perambur,Doveton, Vepery, Periamet, Central Station|
|KKD Nagar||Perambur||M.R Nagar, Erukkancherry, Moolakadai, Don Bosco, LakshmiAmman Temple, BB Road|
|116A||KKD Nagar||Broadway||SIDCO, EB, MKB Nagar, Mint,Stanley Hospital,Beach Station|
|37E Extn||KKD Nagar||Iyyappanthangal||Sharma Nagar,Vepery, Egmore,DPI, Sterling Road, Valluvar kottam, Vadapalani, Valasaravakkam, Porur|
|170T||KKD Nagar||Vandalur Zoo||MR Nagar, Moolakadai,Retteri,Thirumangalam, CMBT, Vadapalani, Guindy, Alandur, Meenambakkam, Tirusulam(Airport), Pallavaram, Chromepet, Tambaram, Perungalathur|
|121G||KKD Nagar||CMBT||Moolakadai,Retteri,Thirumangalam, CMBT|
|2A Extn||KKD Nagar||Anna Square||MKB Nagar,Walltax Road,Central, Chepauk, Triplicane, Presidency College, Marina Beach|
|33Extn||KKD Nagar||Broadway||MKB Nagar,Ambedkar College, Mint, Stanley Hospital, Bharathi Women's College, Broadway Theatre,Mannadi|
|170E||IOC||Tambaram||Korukkupet,Ezhil Nagar,KKD Nagar,MR Nagar, Moolakadai,Retteri,Thirumangalam, CMBT, Vadapalani, Guindy, Alandur, Meenambakkam, Tirusulam(Airport), Pallavaram, Chromepet|
The bus services from Parvathi Nagar bus terminal are:
|M7G Extn||Parvathi Nagar||Broadway||Moolakadai, Perambur, Vepery, Periamet, Central Station|
|116L||Parvathi Nagar||Broadway||Muthamil Nagar, SIDCO, EB, MKB Nagar, Mint,Stanley Hospital,Beach Station|
|46C||Parvathi Nagar||CMBT||Moolakadai,Perambur, Ayanavaram,ICF, Anna Nagar East,Arumbakkam, CMBT|
|38D||Parvathi Nagar||Thiruvottiyur||Moolakadai,Sharma Nagar, Ambedkar college, Mint,Maharani,Mani Koondu, Tondiarpet,Tollgate, Raja Kadai, EllaiAmman Koil, Thiruvottiyur|
|S62(Small Bus)||Manali||Moolakadai||Moolakadai, Ambedkar Statue, R.V Nagar, Parvathi Nagar( Kodungaiyur ) ,Moolachathiram, Balji Palayalam,Chinna Sekadu, Manali Market|
The bus services from Muthamil Nagar bus terminal are:
|116||Muthamil Nagar||Broadway||SIDCO, EB, MKB Nagar, Mint,Stanley Hospital,Beach Station|
Kodungaiyur has a number of educational institutions catering to the students of this area. some of them are :
- Thiruthangal Nadar College, Selavayal
- Muthu Kumaraswamy Arts and Science College, Muthamil Nagar
- Sacred Heart Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Muththamizh Nagar
- St.Joseph's Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Seetharam Nagar
- Government High school, in K.K.D Nagar
- Don Bosco Matriculation Higher secondary school,Erukkancherry
- Sri Sayee Vivekananda Higher Seconday School, Muthamil Nagar
- Gurumoorthy High school
- FES Matriculation Higher secondary school, Muthamil Nagar
- Our Lady's Matriculation Higher Secondary School, M.R Nagar
- Grace Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Senthil Nagar
- St.Mary's Matriculation School
- Velankani Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Muthamil Nagar
- Sri Ayyappa matriculation school
- Vivekanada Vidyalaya matriculation school
- Lakshmi Narayana Matriculation school, Selavayal
- Oxford Matriculation School
- Bharathi Nursery & Primary School,Block V, KKD Nagar
- Mother Therasa Matriculation Higher Secondary School,KKD Nagar
- Bharathi Nursery & Primary School, Block I, Muthamil Nagar
- CSI Bain Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Muthamil Nagar
- Don Bosco Matriculation Higher secondary school,KKD Nagar
- Radha Krishnan Matriculation Higher secondary school, Krishnamoorthy Nagar
- RC Infantia (Pre School),Kamarajar salai
- Stella Rani welfare trust
- Good Samaritan Primary School,Erukkenchery
Most notable neighbourhoods in Kodungaiyur are Amudham Nagar, Selavayal, Narayanasamy Garden, Soundarya Nagar, Parvathi nagar, Venkateswara Nagar (Part I & II), Seetharam Nagar, R.V.Nagar, Union Carbide Colony, Sastri nagar, Jambuli newcolony, Ponnusamy Nagar, Krishna Moorthy Nagar, Vivekananda Nagar, Soundarya Nagar, Ambika Nagar,Chinnandi madam etc. Apart from these, Muthamil Nagar, MR Nagar, KKD Nagar, Gandhi Nagar and Parvathi Nagar are most important places.
Churches and Temples
Most famous Churches are
- Church of South India
- ECI Good Shepherd Church, R.V Nagar Junction
- CPIM Church, Parvathi Nagar
- Church Of God in India
- ACA Church
- St. Sebastian's church
- Our Lady of Health Shrine, Muthamil Nagar
- Our Lady Jecintho church
- Good Samaritan Fellowship (Hosanna Tower), Chinnadi Madam Road
- Shekinah Assembly (Worship Center), Opp. Pavithra Hospitals, Erukkancherry.
- Blessing Of Jesus Ministry, Kodungaiyur
- T E L C PENIEL LUTHERAN CHURCH, Thai Nagar, Kodungaiyur.
- Bhavani Amman kovil, Muthamil Nagar
- Vembuliamman kovil, Jambuli street
- Guru Vinayagar temple, R.V Nagar
- Venkatesa permual temple, Balaji Nagar
- Sri Siddhi Vinayagar temple, Venkateswara Nagar
- Kalasathamman Koil, Parvathy Nagar
- Shankara Vinayagar temple, Periya Kodungaiyur
- Nagathamman Koil, Union Carbide colony
- Om Shakthi Vinayagar Temple, M.R.Nagar,T.H Road,Chennai.
- Sri Kaalikambal kovil, Chinna Kodungaiyur
- Sri Prasana Venkatasa Ramaswamy Perumal Kovil, Parthasarathy Street, Near M.R. Nagar.
- Sri Gangai Amman Koil, Teachers Colony 6th Cross, Kodungaiyur.
Mosques are at
- (masjid-e-al-ameen)Muthamil Nagar
- Chinna kodungaiyur(masjid an-noor makka madrasa) in gandhi nagar
- Masjid near to thiruthangal nadar college
- Masjid Mohyideen in KKD nagar
- Masjid placed near to Gandhi statue at kodungaiyur
- Masjid in Thiruvalluvar Nagar
- Masjid near to Arul Nagar
- Jumma Masjid in MKB nagar
- Masjid-e-Hussainia in Moolakadai
The only theatre in Kodungaiyur is 'Pandiyan Theatre A/C-Dts' formerly known as 'Odean Mani Theatre'. Predominantly Tamil movies are screened in this theatre, and at times English movies also finds a place.
The most famous hospital located in Kodungaiyur (Erukanchery) is Pavithra Hospital as it was shown many popular films. Also KVT Health centre had opened a new branch next Pavithra Hospital its Namely "K.V.T Speciality Hospital" Which as a 24/7 Emergency Facility with Multi Speciality Hospital in the Circular.
Other Hospitals are :
- Subha Hospital, Muthamil Nagar
- Noor Hospital, Chinna Kodungaiyur
- Fathima Hospital,Kodungaiyur, Near Moolakadai
- NRV Hospital, Kodungaiyur
- Arjun Hospital, Kaviarasu Kannadasan Nagar
- ESI dispensary, M.R Nagar.
Another hospital with good treatment facilities near to kodungaiyur is St. Anthony's hospital (Thapalpetti,Madhavaram)
Given below are the Community halls located in Kodungaiyur :
- Seetha Ram Nagar Telugu People Welfare Association, Seetha Ram Nagar
- Malaysia Mahal, Ethirajsamy salai, M.R. Nagar
- A.B.Maaligai, Chinna kodungaiyur
- Malathy Mahal, Muthamil Nagar
- Kulanthai Terasa Mandapam, KKD Nagar
- Eswari Mahal, Erukkancherry
- Raj Hall, KKD Nagar
- Dana Bhackiyam Hall, Meenambal Salai,Vivekananda Nagar
- S.K Mahal, Meenambal Salai, Vivekananda Nagar
- Balaji Kalyana Mandapam, Kodungaiyur
- Burma Mahal, Thiruthangal college Road, Selavayal
- Indira Mahal, Ethirajsamy salai, M.R. Nagar
- K.S. Mahal, M.R. Nagar
- G.R Kalyana Mandapam, Kodungaiyur
- R R Mahal,Muthamil Nagar
Amirtha bhavanam,annsalai,erukkencheri,back side of pavithra hospital
Given below are the Banks /ATMs located in Kodungaiyur:
- Chennai Central Co-operative Bank, R.V Nagar,kodungaiyur CCB BANK SITE
- State Bank of India, Ethirajsamy salai, M.R Nagar with ATM
- Bank of India, Ethirajsamy salai, M.R Nagar with ATM
- Indian Bank, Meenambal Salai, KKD Nagar with ATM
- George Town Co-operative Bank, T.H Road, M.R Nagar
- UCO Bank, Meenambal Road, KKD Nagar with ATM
- Chennai Central Co-operative Bank, M.R Nagar, (Near Bus stop)
- SBI ATM, Meenambal Salai, Behind EB, KKD Nagar
- SBI ATM, Next to Muthukumarasamy College, Muthamil nagar
- SBI ATM, Next to KKD Nagar Bus Terminal.
- HDFC ATM,Next to Reliance web world,SIDCO Main Road
- HDFC ATM, Next to Ceelam, MR Nagar
- HDFC ATM, Kamarajar Salai, (Near Fathima Hospital)
- HDFC ATM, Opp to Muthukumarasamy College, Muthamil nagar
- HDFC ATM, Manali High Road, (Near to Gandhi Statue), Chinna Kodungaiyur
- ICICI ATM, Meenambal Salai, Behind EB, KKD Nagar
- ICICI ATM, Opp to Sembium EB, Moolakadai
- AXIS Bank ATM, Moolakadai
- AXIS Bank ATM, SIDCO Main Road
- Bank of India ATM, Opp to Muthukumarasamy College, Muthamil nagar
- Lakshmi Vilas Bank ATM, Next to Reliance web world, Meenambal Salai.