State Highway 87 (Karnataka)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike|
|Length:||49.0 km (30.4 mi)|
|Arekere, Hulimavu, Gottigere, Bannerghatta National Park, Jigani|
|South end:||Anekal, Bangalore urban district|
Bannerghatta Road ( ಬನ್ನೇರ್ಘಟ್ಟ ರೋಡ್, commonly known as BG Road) is an Indian State Highway in Karnataka that connects Bangalore with towns of Bannerghatta, Jigani and Anekal. It has a total length of 49 kilometres (30 mi). It starts as a branch from Hosur Road near the Adugodi Christian cemetery and ends at Anekal town.
The Government of Karnataka has also cleared the second phase of Namma Metro which proposes a third line from Gottigere to Nagavara via the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIM-B). The project has been designed to significantly reduce the traffic load on Bannerghatta Road and is considered particularly important, as the area continues to develop as an urban centre (including the introduction of new apartment complexes and shopping malls). However, further clearances from the Central Government are required before the renovations can commence.
Under upgrade plans, the road will be widened to 45 metres from its present width of 20-25 metres at an estimated cost of ₹137 crore (US$21 million).
The main junctions and traffic hotspots on this road are at Adugodi, Dairy Circle, Sagar Hospital, Gurappanapalya, Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology, N. S. Palya, Bilekahalli, Arekere Gate, Hulimavu Gate, Gottigere, Bannerghatta Circle, Koppa Gate and Jigani Industrial Area. The NICE BMIC peripheral ring road cuts this road a little beyond Gottigere. In one of the first private-public partnerships in the city, South Avenue, Bannerghatta Road has been widened to four lanes by Mantri Developers, for approximately five kilometers south of Jayadeva underpass. The Diary Circle and the Jayadeva grade separators are on this road. Bannerghatta Road also has intersections with many major roads, such as Hosur Road, Outer Ring Road, and NICE Road.
- Sri Sri Meenakshi Sundareshwara Temple
- Santhome Parish Church
- Bilal Masjid
The prestigious Indian Institute of Management Bangalore located between Bilekahalli and Arekere.Christ University is located a few meters away from Dairy Circle.Near south end of B.G.Road Padma Seshadri Bala Bhavan is located.
Major hospitals are located on this road.
- Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology
- Apollo Hospitals near Arekere junction
- Fortis Healthcare (previously known as Wockhardt Hospital) near Arekere Junction
A lot of malls can be found on Banneghatta Road.
- Gopalan Mall near Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology
- Vega Mall
- B.V.Sampath Mall near Bilekahalli
- Royal Meenakshi Mall, near Sri Meenakshi Sundareshwara Temple (Hulimavu)
- "Details Of State Highways". Karnataka PWD. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- Rao, Sunitha (2011-06-09). "Bannerghatta Road will be stretched to 45 metres". Times of India. Retrieved 2012-08-18.
- BharadwajBengaluru, K.V. Aditya. "Delay in TDR policy holds up work on Namma Metro". The Hindu. Retrieved 2 March 2017.