Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks World Heritage Site
|Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks|
Map of the Canadian Rocky Mountain parks
|Governing body||Parks Canada and BC Parks|
|Designated||1984 (8th session)|
|Region||Europe and North America|
The area is known for its natural beauty and biological diversity. It includes the Burgess Shale site, a World Heritage Site in its own right from 1980 to 1984, when it was included in the Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks WHS designation.
World Heritage Site
In 1983 Canada nominated Banff, Jasper, Kootenay and Yoho national parks for inclusion on the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites. UNESCO accepted this nomination in 1984 on the basis of a recommendation by IUCN. The original nomination and IUCN's recommendation drew attention to the area's "exceptional natural beauty", "habitats of rare and endangered species" and its natural landforms such as mountain peaks, glaciers, lakes, canyons, limestone caves, and the unique Burgess Shale fossils. That year the UNESCO World Heritage Committee "requested the Canadian authorities to consider adding the adjacent Provincial Parks of Mount Robson, Hamber, Mount Assiniboine and Kananskis" to the Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks site. At a 1990 meeting, "the Committee welcomed the Canadian proposal to include, in the Rocky Mountains Parks site, Mount Robson, Hamber and Assiniboine Provincial Parks, following its request at its Eighth Session in 1984." Kananaskis (now Peter Lougheed) Provincial Park has not been included within the Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks site.
- List of National Parks of Canada
- List of World Heritage Sites in the Americas
- List of British Columbia provincial parks
- List of protected areas of Alberta
- "The Burgess Shale". Royal Ontario Museum. Retrieved 24 June 2012.
- "World Heritage Committee: Eighth Ordinary Session". UNESCO. 1984. Retrieved 24 June 2012.
- "Nomination to the World Heritage List" (PDF). UNESCO. 1984. Retrieved 24 June 2012.
- "World Heritage Committee: Fourteenth Session". UNESCO. 1990. Retrieved 24 June 2012.