|Place of origin||Turkey|
|Main ingredients||Eggs, tomato, green peppers, and spices such as ground black and red pepper, salt and oregano, Onion, garlic, chili powder|
Menemen is a traditional Turkish dish which includes eggs, tomato, green peppers, and spices such as ground black and red pepper. Turkish feta and charcuterie products such as sucuk or pastırma may also be added. It is cooked with olive oil or sunflower oil. The dish is similar to shakshouka.
The tomatoes should be finely diced or may be grated. Grated and diced tomatoes can also be mixed together, depending on the cook's preferred texture. If onions are being used, they should be added to the pan with the green chili peppers and sautéed with heated butter or oil. Aleppo pepper may be added. The addition of onions is often debated and is more common when menemen is not eaten at breakfast but as a main dish. Some Turkish cooks like Saniye Anne insist that a proper menemen can not be made without onions.
Sucuk can be added to the pan after the peppers have softened. This adds some flavor to the oil; the sucuk can be removed from the pan before the tomatoes are added to avoid overcooking, but this is not necessary. The tomatoes should become very soft and the mix should not be too watery when the eggs are added. The eggs may be beaten together with salt, pepper and any desired fresh herbs or added directly to the pan. If pastırma is being used, it is added to the pan with the eggs. Kaşar cheese or feta may optionally be added on top of the eggs just before they finish cooking. The eggs should be fully cooked but not dry. (The eggs continue to cook in the pan after being removed from the stove). The dish may be garnished with chopped fresh parsley or scallions. It is served in the pan with fresh bread.
|Wikibooks Cookbook has a recipe/module on|
- "The Spicy Paleo Cookbook". Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- Turkish Cookery, M. Işın Günür (1990). ISBN 975-479-100-7.
- "Menemen nasıl yapılır? İşte her öğünün gözdesi menemen tarifi…". Archived from the original on 2018-07-19. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- Türkmen, Arda, "Hürriyet Pazar", August 10, 2014, p.16.
- "Saniye Anne'nin 155 bin takipçisi var". Milliyet Haber. Archived from the original on 2018-07-17. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- "En lezzetli ve güzel menemen tarifi". www.haberturk.com. Archived from the original on 2018-07-18. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- Mutfak Sırları. Menemen Nasıl Yapılır? - Mutfak Sırları. Event occurs at 180 seconds. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Pastırmalı Menemen". Sabah. Archived from the original on 2018-07-19. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- Emina, Seb; Eggs, Malcolm (2013-03-14). The Breakfast Bible. Bloomsbury Publishing. ISBN 978-1-4088-3990-4.
- "Mantarlı menemen". Archived from the original on 2018-07-19. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Kıymalı Yumurta". Arda'nın Mutfağı. Archived from the original on 2018-07-18. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Menemen tarifi". Milliyet. Archived from the original on 2018-07-18. Retrieved 2018-07-18.