|Owner||Nestlé (worldwide, except in the U.S.)|
The Hershey Company (U.S. Distribution only)
|Introduced||December 21, 1937|
Rolo (pronounced /ˈrəʊləʊ/), referring to the roll-styled candy, is a brand of truncated cone-shaped or conical frustum-shaped chocolates with a caramel middle. First manufactured in the United Kingdom by Mackintosh's in 1937 (followed by Rowntree's after the takeover in 1969), they are made by Nestlé (except in the United States, where production has been licensed to The Hershey Company).
A long-running British advertising slogan for the brand was "Do you love anyone enough to give them your last Rolo?" A YouGov poll saw Rolo ranked the twelfth most popular and seventeenth most famous confectionary in the UK.
In 1988, the Nestlé company acquired Rowntree and its brands, including Rolo. There have now been Rolo biscuits, ice-cream, muffins, birthday cake, desserts, cake bars, doughnuts, mini Rolos, big Rolos (all of which use the same type of caramel), yoghurts, and Easter eggs made. In May 2011, McDonald's combined chocolate pieces and caramel sauce with their soft-serve McFlurry product to simulate the Rolo flavour profile in a cross-branded product. In December 2018, WalMart began selling Rolo ice cream cones and ice cream sandwiches in their stores.
In 1996, the Rolo ad "Elephant" won the Grand Prix in the section Film Lions at the Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival. In the ad, an elephant gets fooled by a young boy and decades later takes revenge, referring to the saying "elephants never forget".
- Kathy Martin (19 February 2017). Famous Brand Names and Their Origins. Pen and Sword. pp. 50–. ISBN 978-1-78159-015-7.
- "The most famous confectionaries in the UK". YouGov. Retrieved 17 August 2019.
- R Fitzgerald Rowntree and the marketing revolution, 1862–1969 CUP
- "NECCO® - About". www.necco.com.
- Sharon Hernes Silverman (20 November 2000). Pennsylvania Snacks: A Guide to Food Factory Tours. Stackpole Books. pp. 87–. ISBN 978-0-8117-2874-4.
- Wesley B. Truitt (2006). The Corporation. Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 184–. ISBN 978-0-313-33606-5.
- Bennett, Brittany. "Walmart Is Selling ROLO Ice Cream Treats That Will Make Caramel Lovers Drool". Bustle. Retrieved 2019-05-06.
- "Lions+ / 50+ Years Of Grand Prix". canneslions.com. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- ""Elephant" on Youtube".
- Cozens, Claire (23 April 2003). "Rolo axes 'sentimental' slogan". the Guardian.